Happy Birthday Mam

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Today is my mam's 75th birthday.

Dad isn't taking her to the home for her usual day care today, instead he's hoping to have a run out somewhere, although he's had a bad morning so isn't sure when that'll be.

Hubby and I were intending to visit but he said it'll be easier for them to pop round while they're out - so that could be any time.

Mam's presents are just cards and home made Queen cakes; dad said that would be the best thing, because even if she doesn't appreciate them at the time of giving she will at least eat and enjoy them later.

I miss going out and choosing her something that I know she would love, and seeing her face light up when she unwraps it. Now she can't even take a card out of its envelope herself. :(

She might not even allow me to say 'Happy Birthday' without telling me to shut up, never mind give her a hug, so I will say it here instead, with a bunch of her favourite flowers, freesias.

Happy birthday, mam. I love you xxx

image.jpg

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
Bless your heart, I do know how you feel, it is my Mums 77th birthday on the 27th, it is so hard to know what to do, I used to take my Mum out and we would go for dinner just the two of us while Dad was at work, even when he retired we used to continue doing this, I miss that. She doesn't like me near her now as most of the time she thinks I am Dads fancy woman. We have just found out that she loves the color red now, so I have got her two red cardigans, but I know it wont be a happy day but at least she will still say thank you, her manners haven't all left her yet thank goodness. Happy Birthday to your Mum, I am sure she will enjoy her cakes from you, hope her visit to you isn't too bad, take care xx

Ange

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
I'm sorry CG, I do so hope your mum's mood lifts enough to know you or at least to be calm with you x

Happy Birthday CG's mum.

Lin x

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I hope you get to give your mam a birthday hug CG,

Happy Birthday to CGs mam,

Freesias are my favourite flowers as well I love the smell of them x

Last edited:

flowerpot

Jul 27, 2010
Rural North Northumberland
CG thinking of you and hoping that when your Mam and Dad visit all will be ok. I'm sure she'll enjoy the cakes even if she doesn't show any appreciation at the time. It's all so sad and very upsetting for you. Take care xxxx

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Thank you everyone. My mam would be so very upset, if she knew.

31 years ago today, my new boyfriend and I, and my mam and dad, went out for a meal to celebrate her birthday. Dad told her that he thought me and my boyfriend would get married. "Don't be daft," my mam said, "she's only been going out with him for three weeks!"

That boyfriend is now my husband of almost 29 years.

Funny that, cos I always thought my mam was the psychic one!

Happy days, eh mam?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Happy Birthday to your mam CG.

I thought she was better with you lately. Was it short lived? :(

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Mam, can you remember the first meal I 'cooked' for my boyfriend? It was a tossed salad, and you had to show me how to make it :D :D

I remember how much he enjoyed it, saying that his mam's idea of a salad was half a tomato and a lettuce leaf :D

A labour of love, that salad was.

Happy Birthday to your mam CG.

I thought she was better with you lately. Was it short lived? :(

Unfortunately, yes, Sylvia. It lasted for two visits. But I have the memories at least. My poor mam doesn't.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Best wishes to you CG on your Mum's birthday. I am out with my youngest daughter and partner this evening celebrating mine - so I will raise my glass to her too when the others are wishing me well.

SoyHJ

Mar 16, 2013
Oh CG, I'm so sorry things are so different now. That's the trouble with anniversaries of any kind, they tend to bring memories of happier days flooding back. Your Mam will love the cakes, I'm sure, and even if it doesn't prove to be one of her calmer days, you will know that you've still done your very best to try and make her day a bit different and special. xx

SoyHJ

Mar 16, 2013
Mam, can you remember the first meal I 'cooked' for my boyfriend? It was a tossed salad, and you had to show me how to make it :D :D

I remember how much he enjoyed it, saying that his mam's idea of a salad was half a tomato and a lettuce leaf :D

A labour of love, that salad was.

Yes, and I bet that gave your Mam and Dad a laugh afterwards!

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
CG, I hope the visit goes well & that she loves the cakes. It must be heart breaking for you not to be able to give your Mum the birthday you would like to. You are having lovely memories of days gone past today so keep hold of them. Keep posting them too. Do you still make a mean tossed salad?
I love the freesias by the way.

Happy birthday to your Mum & to BeckyJan too. Enjoy the wine.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Best wishes to you CG on your Mum's birthday. I am out with my youngest daughter and partner this evening celebrating mine - so I will raise my glass to her too when the others are wishing me well.

Thank you so much, Jan! I hope you have a lovely evening xxx

Thank you so much everyone for your good wishes for me and mam today xxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
A belated hapoy birthday to your mum CG. I hope she and your dad (and you!) had a nice day. x

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Yes, and I bet that gave your Mam and Dad a laugh afterwards!

Well dad hadn't better have laughed ;). At the time, he would have had no idea how to do a tossed salad either :D :D :D.

They haven't been round yet. i'm still not giving up hope for a pleasant visit.

(I've just had a little cry watching Liam Sweeney's dad on the news - one of the Britons killed on the plane shot down over Malaysia. Those poor people. My heart goes out to them.)

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
What lovely memories though, the link to you and your oh and the salad.:D I agree, these anniversaries are sad, I don't know what to do for Mum's bd next month. I hope they had a good day and that you did too xx

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Update - visit is off.

Dad (and mam of course) have spent six hours in A&E because dad cut his finger very badly with a pair of secateurs. He was passed from doctor to doctor because it's possible that he has damaged the nerve; they don't think so, but it's difficult to know at the moment.

Another crisis.

I only found out this evening, when they got back home. Obviously he is shattered and mam is agitated so the birthday has been postponed.

My stomach is in knots.

SoyHJ

Mar 16, 2013
(I've just had a little cry watching Liam Sweeney's dad on the news - one of the Britons killed on the plane shot down over Malaysia. Those poor people. My heart goes out to them.)

Me too, it's so awful. Those poor people. Yesterday I saw an interview with one couple who'd been booked on there and had both suddenly had a bad feeling about it and decided to pull out and change their booking. Makes you wonder.......

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. What a way to spend Mam's birthday and of course she'll be agitated, the whole thing will have disturbed and upset her. What about you though....? Do you feel any calmer yet?

bilslin

Jan 17, 2014
hertforshire
Hi college girl. Sorry to hear about your dad, hope his finger is ok. Shame the birthday didn't go off well. Keep your chin up Hun. lindax