Oh brother

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Oh Tin-what a day-what a night

Sorry if this question has been asked/answered already. Do you think it would benefit your Mum if she had a low dose of some medication to ease the anxiety?

I feel so sorry for both of you and I know that meds don't hold all the answers, but could you have a word with your Mum's GP and get a professional opinion.

Take care-life (and Dementia) can be so exhausting

Lyn T

worn out

Jul 4, 2014
oh how familiar.ive just got back from the evening visit and have two hours of "wheres your brother?""at work""When does he finish?""about 6"Will he come then?" "no tomorrow""what time " at 6 when he finishes work" "what about the other one"( she now thinks there are two of him ,one who does the shopping and one who visits) however i am her mother apparently.she phones him constantly "to see if he is alright"meanwhile i have seen to supper filled hot water bottle answered post taken out rubbish,filled her pill box etc etc."I wish your brother was here".so do i.makes you feel like cinderella doesnt it? i know she cant help it but the obsessions seem the hardest thing to deal with. cant yet find a distraction that works.And why are knickers so fascinating? mum also always counting them

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Oh Tin-what a day-what a night

Sorry if this question has been asked/answered already. Do you think it would benefit your Mum if she had a low dose of some medication to ease the anxiety?

I feel so sorry for both of you and I know that meds don't hold all the answers, but could you have a word with your Mum's GP and get a professional opinion.

Take care-life (and Dementia) can be so exhausting

Lyn T

Hi Lyn T, mum is taking Mirtazapine 15mg and at night to help her relax half mg Lorazepam, but last night I had to give her whole one, helps her sleep at least 4 hrs and always in a good mood in the mornings, but its the rest of the day when life becomes very demanding and well quite frankly difficult to care for her. She's calm now, hit or miss how the rest of the evening will go. You know how the days turn to weeks, not sure how many days we've had like this, but think I should talk to her gp, maybe a change of medication is needed, it is all due for review next week.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Lyn T, mum is taking Mirtazapine 15mg and at night to help her relax half mg Lorazepam, but last night I had to give her whole one, helps her sleep at least 4 hrs and always in a good mood in the mornings, but its the rest of the day when life becomes very demanding and well quite frankly difficult to care for her. She's calm now, hit or miss how the rest of the evening will go. You know how the days turn to weeks, not sure how many days we've had like this, but think I should talk to her gp, maybe a change of medication is needed, it is all due for review next week.

Well that review is very timely

I do admire how you are coping-but do take care of yourself

Lyn T

Torontonian

Jan 29, 2014
Toronto, Ontario CANADA
me too is forgotten!!

Well, my mom lives with me, 89 with mixed alzheimers and dementia..

I work full time..no carers... she is ok to eat herself, etc. mobile, but does not wonder (yet).. We live in an apartment building and there is security downstairs.. so far she has not made any attempts to leave. security has my numbers..

Today she woke up a bit more strange than before. not recognizing me (which isn't new) but not recognizing the apartment (this is new). She says it looks like her place... by the time I left for work she was satisfied that this was her place.. I said you and I live here for the past eight years.. she said she didn't have a good night and must have gotten confused due to not sleeping well. She slept well, I give her quietipine (serequel) 12.5 mg. at bedtime... I wake up a lot but she was a sleep all night last night. We brought my brother's dog again, he sleeps with me.. The dog is her friend she says and we will keep him a while.. Last time he stayed for two full weeks....

She also is one of those mothers who believe the "son" is the real part of the family. Always asking for him... lately thinking there are two of them, one young and one older. She looks at me some time ask where **** is here... I say I am ****, she says no... she is young and goes to school. I am now 52 and I know she can't recognize me... We go along fine most of the days but some days, she'll look for me, for her mother and grand-mother and the dog too.. then she'll ask.. do we have a cat too? when I say the dog isn't ours, she gets upset.. so I say he stays at our place and at my brother's some time too.

She too asks often as to where here son is... why is he not here for dinner time... why don't I go get him..who cooks for him (living with a girlfriend), "we" should look after him.. he doesn't know to cook, clean, etc. etc.

Well after I left for work this morning, telling her I'll be home right after work.. don't feed the dog, he has already eaten.. taken out, walked. she said ok to all.

I get a call from her at my office line and first thing she says oh good I found you.. you don't know what happended.. there was this other woman here today and told her that this is her place... how come I don't come home anymore.. I of course first said, mama it was me, you had a bad night and can't remember but no way.. so I ended up saying I'll tell that woman not to come any more and I got my brother on line too so we can both hear what she's saying... after agreeing that I will be home after work and he'll visit too. We all hung up... five minutes later she calls my cell number to tell me that she found my aunt and spoke to her and that she was coming home.. i said how nice and I'll see you later..

To cut the long story short.. yes she is more confused with me, the daughter than my brother.. It may be a cultural thing too but then she has been living with me for the past 18 years.. Last 2 years have been bad but before was so so.... my brother lives very close by and visits once a week, sometimes twice and calls once or twice a day... Lately she's thinking she has 2 sons because she had a young son and this one is older now..

I suppose seeing the same person is more confusing day in and day out than the one she sees once a week?

First I was getting upset..that was year and a half ago.. so everytime she asks for her daughter/mother/others I reply not here today, don't know where they went, or gone with friends or something like that but when she wakes me up at 3 o'clock in the morning to ask where her daughter is, that is scary and having difficulty getting her back to sleep... this happened a few times and hope doesn't happen to often.

So for those of us girls, it is what it is I guess...

Have a nice afternoon/evening where ever you girls are and the sons too:)

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I think a line was crossed last night, by mum not me, she's started lying to me and leaving terrible 'air' messages for my brother. I've accepted that she no longer remembersI'm her daughter. While in bed early last night, I heard her refer to me as that woman living in my house and how again she has hit her and doesn't feed her and never takes her out or spend time with her and then lies to me about the content of the message she's leaving for brother. The evening didn't get better, at 4a.m wanted to cook bacon for breakfast, just so you know, I always leave a sandwich and biscuits out for when she gets the munchies, I am in no doubt that this snack probably goes to the dog! But this morning she put herself in danger[I must have left the cooker switch on] Took a load of bacon from fridge, loads of oil in frying pan and set to with the frying. I had to step in and stop her, she did not like this and I crossed the line by telling her she was unwell and simply can't do these things anymore. So she has spent the morning packing all her belongings in any bag she can find. It's 11.15a.m now and I know she's tired, but she simply will not sit down and rest. Definitely time to visit the gp and review medication.

Vesnina

Aug 25, 2013
Yes, dear Tin, this is a nasty illness...
In three days I start my vacations,
and search for better medicines...

But, as many members here say... this is the illness, not her!

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
One of the times I lost it with my mother was over cooking, she was insistent on baking a cake to charcoal and I was trying, stupidly, to make her see sense.
Tin, hate to say it, but do you think you are getting to a point where you might have to consider a care home for your mum? It is sounding too much to cope with, at night and everything?

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
One of the times I lost it with my mother was over cooking, she was insistent on baking a cake to charcoal and I was trying, stupidly, to make her see sense.
Tin, hate to say it, but do you think you are getting to a point where you might have to consider a care home for your mum? It is sounding too much to cope with, at night and everything?

Do often think about it, but honestly we have many good days and I could not take the separation. we've had a bad time recently, it did not occur to me that it might be down to the medication. Did not take Mirtazapine yesterday, talking to gp today to ask if o.k we stop. I'm sure it is responsible for the terrible mood swings and obsessions. We both slept well last night and did not get up till 8a.m., mum was back to her old/new self, sorting and folding laundry, tidying kitchen, in her own way. Looking back on my postings I suppose it does look like I'm not coping, think I'd better start posting more upbeat stuff!

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Tin, sometimes it's hard to post the positive when you're fed up to the back teeth.
Your love and commitment still shows through in your posts.

Hope you both have a good day today.

nmintueo

Jun 28, 2011
UK
Every afternoon when the clock strikes one, she starts with the questions

Do you mean that literally -- she is being cued by the clock striking one -- or you just mean this happens every afternoon? If you silenced the clock, would it make any difference?

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Do you mean that literally -- she is being cued by the clock striking one -- or you just mean this happens every afternoon? If you silenced the clock, would it make any difference?

No the clock doesn't strike one, Mum would have 15mg Mirtazapine at about 12.30 and around 1 she would become very stressed, agitated and repetitive until around 6pm. I think the medicine was increasing all of these levels to the point where I thought she was going to pass out. the last few weeks she has been so distressed in afternoons. it occurred to me over the weekend it might be the medication. So yesterday mum did not take any, although still sundowning. no where near as bad and the same today, its 1.50pm and a little repetitive but again not as bad. Trying to get hold of gp to tell him what I've done, so far no contact. I have no doubt theres a build up in her system and will probably take a while to clear, but this can't be a coincidence.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Oh, my mum is on that and has started constant rhyme repetition. i wonder if it is the mirtazapine? I am seeing her GP today so will ask.:confused:

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Finally spoke to mums gp about half hour ago, said to try for 7 days without and lets see what happens. Do gp's have another phrase for sundowning? when I said this he seemed to have no idea what I was saying!

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Be interested to hear how that goes. I wouldn't be surprised re sundowning. I used the word perserverating, as that mean repeating words or phrases endlessly and the GP didn't seem to know what that meant. We are keeping mum on mirtizapine for now, I don't really know if it helps her or not.

chelle92

Jun 13, 2014
Virginia
My grandmother doesnt remember a single Persons name in my family except my brother she says his name, asks for me to call him, calls me his name or mostly im called "that girl"
It hurts that she cant remember me, but I never took it for granted when she randomly said "hey girl, I love you" for a split second it was like she was her old normal self.

Sent from My Galaxy S5 app

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
My grandmother doesnt remember a single Persons name in my family except my brother she says his name, asks for me to call him, calls me his name or mostly im called "that girl"
It hurts that she cant remember me, but I never took it for granted when she randomly said "hey girl, I love you" for a split second it was like she was her old normal self.

Sent from My Galaxy S5 app

Hi chelle, got used to it now, she knows who I am, but does not know I'm her daughter. Like now, about 10 minutes ago we were watching t.v together then I got up and moved to my desk and laptop and she immediately thinks i'm the other Angela, but if I take my laptop to the sofa, i'm back again!!

Vesnina

Aug 25, 2013
... I got up and moved to my desk and laptop and she immediately thinks i'm the other Angela, but if I take my laptop to the sofa, i'm back again!!

Very interesting! I see this effect of double or triple identities often,
or... "who knows how many of you there are",
but this is a valuable remark: the place may be the key!
Thank you very much!!!