Inexpensive clock useful for dementia sufferers

Gossy

Jul 16, 2014
Can someone tell me the best place to get a clock with clear time, date and day on it at a reasonable price? The ones I have seen which flip over seem to start at above £45 and go up to over £100 (even on ebay) which is a lot for an elderly lady. Someone suggested Clocks And Watches | Alzheimer's Society, but I couldn't see anything suitable. Thanks

worn out

Jul 4, 2014
got my mum one for about £10 at argos.only slight problem is it says tue. for tuesday sat. for saturday which caused a bit of confusion at first.proves quite useful unless she decides not to believe it.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I expect your MiL is still at a stage where you know she can definitely read and understand the time. My wife became obsessed with clocks and watches and we ended up with loads. It took me a surprisingly long time to realise that no clock ever invented would be now of any use to her.:(

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Personally, we have the Day Clock that just says "Now it's Wednesday Evening" as OH doesn't care about month or year anymore. If he wants the exact time, we have a normal clock standing on the bookshelf which he often consults to tell no one in particular what time it is right now.

Huwbert

Nov 17, 2014
Extortion

Dear all,

My father is getting to the point where he will soon be unable to look after himself.
A dementia clock would help but I have been dismayed at the prices of these things.
It seems quite obvious that the market is exploitative as indeed it seems to be for all products related to supporting ill and disabled people, e.g. a shower stool. :mad::mad::mad:

:rolleyes: So I am going to petition my local MP on this matter and contact IKEA to suggest that this is something they could source (horrible word) and sell far cheaper than anyone else. The technology and materials required do not justify the high price.

May I suggest that others do likewise at least with regard to the MP. :cool:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Our clock cost about £70 and is very bright and clear and to be honest quite useless. My husband has to be prompted to look at it every day and by the time he leaves the room he has forgotten what it said.

No matter how good or efficient it makes little difference to the persons hold on time and place.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Dear all,

My father is getting to the point where he will soon be unable to look after himself.
A dementia clock would help but I have been dismayed at the prices of these things.
It seems quite obvious that the market is exploitative as indeed it seems to be for all products related to supporting ill and disabled people, e.g. a shower stool. :mad::mad::mad:

:rolleyes: So I am going to petition my local MP on this matter and contact IKEA to suggest that this is something they could source (horrible word) and sell far cheaper than anyone else. The technology and materials required do not justify the high price.

May I suggest that others do likewise at least with regard to the MP. :cool:

Have you asked your occupational therapist they can often lend things that help with daily living I don't know about clocks but shower seat, bath lifts, grab rails commodes and other things can be supplied,

Huwbert

Nov 17, 2014
Have you asked your occupational therapist they can often lend things that help with daily living I don't know about clocks but shower seat, bath lifts, grab rails commodes and other things can be supplied,

Thanks.
Luckily he doesn't need most of these things. It just annoys me that so many of these things are overpriced.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Thanks.
Luckily he doesn't need most of these things. It just annoys me that so many of these things are overpriced.

You mentioned the shower stool, what I meant was you probably don't need to buy most of them as you can borrow them,

He might eventually need them and it is handy to know,

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Our clock cost about £70 and is very bright and clear and to be honest quite useless. My husband has to be prompted to look at it every day and by the time he leaves the room he has forgotten what it said.

No matter how good or efficient it makes little difference to the persons hold on time and place.

We could really do with a system which enabled us to rent/lease technology gadgets rather than having to buy outright....then we could find out if they would help in the first place or only pay for the time they were needed as things can change so quickly. Something like the alarm call system mum had with the emergency pendant, where we paid a relatively small set-up fee and then a monthly charge, but just returned the kit when it was no longer needed. I think you can hire a stairlift too from the companies that sell them.

I don't like to add up the total cost of things we bought on mum's behalf which didn't in the end turn out to be good value for money as she either couldn't manage to use them at all or could only use them for a short time.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
As Jeany has pointed out above:

I expect some councils/local NHS services are better than others but I'm told this is quite widespread. Some things are loaned and some are provided free. There is also a second-hand market (see online auction sites) and though not all aids are things you would want second-hand most are perfectly O.K. Things you've bought yourself and not used or finished with can also be sold on.

Last edited:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
As Jeany has pointed out above:

I expect some councils/local NHS services are better than others but I'm told this is quite widespread. Some things are loaned ans some are provided free. There is also a second-hand market (see online auction sites) and though not all aids are things you would want second-hand most are perfectly O.K. Things you've bought yourself and not used or finished with can also be sold on.

I found out by accident that Glasgow Council has a Sensory department which supplies such things. My sister in law who is deaf does not hear her carers at the door if she is in the bathroom. She has a flashing light elsewhere. When I approached the Sensory services they gave her a brilliant alarm bell with flashing blue light which was movable and responded to a bell at the front door which could be stuck on.

Huwbert

Nov 17, 2014
I found out by accident that Glasgow Council has a Sensory department which supplies such things. My sister in law who is deaf does not hear her carers at the door if she is in the bathroom. She has a flashing light elsewhere. When I approached the Sensory services they gave her a brilliant alarm bell with flashing blue light which was movable and responded to a bell at the front door which could be stuck on.

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate the thought, but I'm not objecting to paying for these things, I just think they are a rip-off for what are actually fairly basic things with minimal design.