Court of protection advice

rubyrosie

Mar 28, 2014
Hi

My mother is in a Nursing home now with mid stage Vascular dementia. My sister and I do not have LPA or EPA and I am going to apply to become a court appointed deputy.

I am unsure as to how to fill in sections 5.1 - 5.3 on the COP1 forms

I need to be able to make decisions regarding her finances in order to be able to pay the Care home fees on an ongoing basis and handle her financial affairs.

With regard to welfare, we have a COP3 form competed by the consultant with a diagnosis of Vascualr dementia ...do i need permission to apply to make decisions in her best interests for health and welfare? I have been sorting out this kind of thing for the past 3 years for her by organising appointments and treatment over the years and managing her care package when she lived in her own home. Does this help

I am so confused

thanks for any advice

I have tried to call the COP but cannot get an answer.

Kind regards

Rosie

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
Maybe you need some help from a solicitor, or your local Alzheimers Soc?

Our solicitor said there was not much point in applying for a health Deputyship as they are hardly ever granted.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Regarding H&W Deputyship, angelface is right that it is rarely given. If you are the next of kin you should be involved with your mother's care anyway although an LPA does help if there is any disagreement.
I never had a problem with dealing with H&W for my husband and I onlt had the Deputyship for Legal and Finance.

Sorry - totally misread the numbers!

Last edited:

Early riser

Mar 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Hi rubyrosie

Sections 5.1-5.3 on the COP1 need to be only 1 sentence answers because you need to copy them to COP3 section 3.1-3.3.

5.1 Whether (your mum's name) is able to make decisions regarding property and affairs.

5.2 To appoint (your name) as deputy to manage affairs and sell (give the address of the house you are selling if there is one)

5.3 It would free up capital to fund nursing home fees.

The COP3 completed by the consultant is needed for the property and affairs application. Welfare deputyship is a separate application and not needed at this time.

Best wishes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misty24