The training of medical staff and how it impacts on care of the elderly

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...s-or-training-in-their-treatment-9602507.html

This reminds me so much of debates when I was nursing re how medical staff training is geared towards cure and inability to cure was seen as an unacceptable failure and so patients who fell into the uncured category got a poorer standard of care. Sadly that led to a lack of understanding of how important it is to enable a "good death" where possible, with pain and symptoms relieved and any positive areas supported and encouraged rather than the whole scenario being seen as a failure by medical staff. Thankfully this has improved to a degree but I seriously wonder if political posturing and economics will allow much genuine change in the area of elderly persons care. IMHO - what is badly needed is some joined up thinking and true inter agency working.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Talking Point mobile app

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
That is SO depressing. I agree with you Celia that joined up thinking is needed but doubt it's going to happen - must be having a glass half empty day here...

handyjack

Oct 6, 2011
Remember too that doctors in hospital usually follow the "Medical model" of dementia. They see (and treat) the illness and not the person. Whereas, the "Social model" (imho) is by far much better. We look at the individual and take a much broader view than doctors. We can focus on what skills and capacities the individual retains . Give them choices and enable them to have at least some control over their lives. ;)

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Good point handyjack. A more holistic view of a person would be a great benefit in most, if not all, areas of health care.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Talking Point mobile app