Current poa registration timescale

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Hi Snowy, glad it is finally coming through for you. Lloyds bank were very good, they made an appointment for me, I took in the poa with me and some proof of my id/address and they did the whole thing there and then over the course of an hour.:)

Internet savings bank more complicated as has no branches, so they wanted a signed copy of the poa. i took masses of photocopies of the document and then looked into who could verify it. The usual suspects, GPs etc, but also includes teachers, so I sent them all off to a friend who teaches. You have to say on every single page 'this is a true copy of this document' and then get the teacher or whoever to sign and date every single page. Everyone says hang onto the original, whatever you do. Good lucky Snowy.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...they wanted a signed copy of the poa. i took masses of photocopies of the document and then looked into who could verify it. The usual suspects, GPs etc, but also includes teachers, so I sent them all off to a friend who teaches..."

I would check the source of this information, are you sure it related to LPAs and not something else like passport photos.

The following people can make a certified copy if you no longer have mental capacity:

a solicitor
a person authorised to carry out notarial activities
a member of the stock exchange

>>>GOV.UK LPA info<<<

Also

3Proof of instruments creating powers of attorney

(1)The contents of an instrument creating a power of attorney may be proved by means of a copy which—
(a)is a reproduction of the original made with a photographic or other device for reproducing documents in facsimile; and
(b)contains the following certificate or certificates signed by the donor of the power or by a solicitor or stockbroker, that is to say—
(i)a certificate at the end to the effect that the copy is a true and complete copy of the original; and
(ii)if the original consists of two or more pages, a certificate at the end of each page of the copy to the effect that it is a true and complete copy of the corresponding page of the original.
(2)Where a copy of an instrument creating a power of attorney has been made which complies with subsection (1) of this section, the contents of the instrument may also be proved by means of a copy of that copy if the further copy itself complies with that subsection, taking references in it to the original as references to the copy from which the further copy is made.
(3)In this section " stockbroker " means a member of any stock exchange within the meaning of the Stock Transfer Act 1963 or the Stock Transfer Act (Northern Ireland) 1963.
(4)This section is without prejudice to section 4 of the Evidence and Powers of Attorney Act 1940 (proof of deposited instruments by office copy) and to any other method of proof authorised by law.
(5)For the avoidance of doubt, in relation to an instrument made in Scotland the references to a power of attorney in this section and in section 4 of the Evidence and Powers of Attorney Act 1940 include references to a factory and commission.

>>>Powers of Attorney Act 1971<<<

EDIT
For anybody with capacity wishing to self certify copies the easiest way is to scan each sheet, print to PDF, add the 'I certify...." statement as a footer and print. Note the latest GOV.UK has a different statement for the last sheet.

Last edited:

snowygirl

Jan 9, 2014
Crickey this all seems pretty complicated to me at a time when I could really do without it all. Nothing my parents do is internet based so I'm hoping showing the original will be enough when the time comes. If I need a teacher though I work in a school so I'm in the right place!!
I'm wondering if you tell the bank that you have POA do they take away all power from the donor or is this something you negotiate with the Bank? What did Lloyds say RR?
Thanks

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
The bank asked me if I wanted mum to still be able to use the account or not. in my case, I am taking total control.
Nitram, the bank that said a certified copy from a teacher was okay was Birmingham Midshires. They haven't got back to me yet, will be annoying if they change their minds but he read out a list (their list) of people who could certify and that included teachers. So Snowy, you will need to contact the individual bank to find out what their requirements are. I mentioned teachers because ditto, there is usually a teacher somewhere.:(:D

I have yet to contact Pensions people, but if you are right Nitram that means I would have to go elsewhere to get certified copies, that will be annoying.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If your parents still have capacity they can self certify as many copies of the registered LPAs as they wish.

Post back if you want details.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If Pensions people means the DWP take the original of the registered power to any Jobplus centre, they will take a copy, certify it, and if you ask nicely, send it to the appropriate office via their internal system.

Jackalina

Feb 1, 2014
Sent for POA registration late March, decided to give public guardian a call on Friday to check progress and they couldn't find application. My legal advisor dealt with sending papers away with payment so they are now checking internally but believe the reason is the backlog of applications. I was told that they are now working on applications made in February. Not in too much of a hurry to get it yet but would like to see it in place.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Thanks nitram, will do the thing with the jobcentre re pensions, as there is a Jobcentre place in the town. I am trying to avoid having to pay a solicitor fees for certifying copies, as I managed to get the poa without involving them.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You used to be able to make an appointment at an HMRC Tax Enquiry and they would make a certified copy and send it off to the correct office.

Unfortunately the centres are all being closed, I'm not sure if any are still running but it may be worth a try.

If you send either the original or a certified copy through the post attach a 'post it' note saying 'do not shred, to be returned'. many organisations now operate in a paperless environment and all documents are scanned on receipt and the hard copies shredded.

jen54

May 20, 2014
I posted our LPA 3rd June, I, today, received notification, along with mum that there was 3 weeks to make an objection, and then it would take two weeks from 5th August for the LPA registration tob e completed, if there are no objections or problems - I hadn't received an email or anything before this.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
nitram, referring back to who can certify an lpa copy, you are of course right and Birmingham Midshires, having told me on the phone that a teacher, doctor etc could do it has now sent back my teacher certified copy and told me only a solicitor, stockbroker, or notary can sign it. So they have just wasted 2 weeks of my time. Aaaaaagh!

Oh, and the solicitor will be charging, talk about money for old rope.:rolleyes:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
nitram, referring back to who can certify an lpa copy, you are of course right and Birmingham Midshires, having told me on the phone that a teacher, doctor etc could do it has now sent back my teacher certified copy and told me only a solicitor, stockbroker, or notary can sign it. So they have just wasted 2 weeks of my time. Aaaaaagh!

Oh, and the solicitor will be charging, talk about money for old rope.:rolleyes:

Yeah the OPG told me the same. It's really annoying, what makes a stockbroker so special and why are solicitors allowed to charge just to stamp a document they have never seen before? I think £5 per copy is about the cheapest you can get it for.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Yeah the OPG told me the same. It's really annoying, what makes a stockbroker so special and why are solicitors allowed to charge just to stamp a document they have never seen before? I think £5 per copy is about the cheapest you can get it for.

That's what I paid, money for nothing is right!

jen54

May 20, 2014
it came through the post, mum gave me her letter to keep and I explained she had nothing to do and what it was, my letter was waiting when I got home, the only bit that worried me was " if there are no problems". I would have liked to think any problems would have been alerted to me before now :( after the back and forth with dad's probate holding that up I daren't think this will go smoothly for jinxing it

Kobiandmillie

Jan 4, 2014
Poa

Iv just received this and registered it with mums bank everything is ok but I don't. Know if I have to register it anywhere else she has Isa bonds etc I don't know what to do if anyone can help me x

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You should register it with any institution where she has money deposited, also the DWP, HMRC and any private pension providers.

snowygirl

Jan 9, 2014
Jen 54 I think you seem to be one of the lucky ones as hearing from them is in itself a miracle!!!! It all seems so hit and miss to me. I would advise anyone just waiting to ring up after maybe even 4 weeks to at least see if its been assigned a case worker. Im now in the period of waiting the final two weeks for my dads. YOu will hear me singing through the rafters when the actual approved document arrives!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
debbie1968