melt down

postigen

Nov 15, 2013
warrington
Helllo and welcome, sorry you had to find us.:) You have a lot on your plate, a new area to learn, different family dynamics now that you are in the same area as your daughter, missing old friends, old times, old places......and for now, having your identity swallowed by your husband's illness.

In my opinion, you need to find an interest that is just yours. Music, computing,learning, yoga, swimming, books, knitting.......something, anything that you can have to make a little bit of time and space just for you.
Keep posting on here too, I have some wonderful cyber friends who keep me sane (some of the time:rolleyes:) I am so glad I found them here.:D
Speak soon, Maureen.:)

What insight you have Maureen. Appreciate all your advice. pg

postigen

Nov 15, 2013
warrington
I too have a husband a lot older than me and some days it wake up thinking that this is what my life is now, caring for my husband with dementia. We have good days and bad but I also know I don't think I would of been able to cope if I had been the same age as him. Having youth on my side will give me strength to go on. His family are in denial but one day soon they will have to accept the diagnosis as he is 73 and started with dementia 7 years ago. Keep strong and get as much help as you can.
Angela.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

I think you are right about being younger, you need endless energy.

postigen

Nov 15, 2013
warrington
Hello Postigen – Yet another welcome from a TP member in a similar position to you; Husband much older; moved back to UK from France to be near daughter, who is supportive, but works long hours; husband mixed AZ/VaD for six years. Totally new area, and no close friends or transport.

I am, by nature, a cheerful and gregarious person; and have found TP to be an enormous help. Just to know that you are not alone; and that there will always be someone else who is stumbling through the brambles of life with dementia is a great comfort.

Once you have found your way around, you will see what an amazing resource TP can be.
Once again, welcome.
Leonora

It can be a lonely place a strange area, I think I need to try and tap into more of the support available. Glad I found TP. Keep cheerfull. Pg

postigen

Nov 15, 2013
warrington
Hello Postigen

Cragmaid has a very good response. I use a few of her suggestions and have done throughout my journey, now around five years' long. I'm at the stage where I've accepted that this is life, now, and to be honest, it ain't too bad! It IS awful some days, but mostly, not too bad, now.

You'll get to that point, but it will be a while, more than likely.

Glad you've got the monthly cafe activity to go to. Do you get to have a proper chat with anyone when you go? That's what I miss. A proper conversation! I really do miss that, sigh...

Don't worry, I'm not gonna get maudlin on you! You do get used to these things, but if you ever fancy a chat, do pop on here. Everyone I've met are always so welcoming, as we all realise we're kind of all in the same boat together. So come and make yourself at home here, any old time. Welcome to you, and good to meet you :)

Hello, yes conversation is one thing I miss. There are not many in the cafe group so I tend to have one ear on hubby ready to translate or prompt!! Thank goodness for the Internet eh? Pg

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello postigen

It`s lovely to see the welcome you`ve had from TP. I`ve only just got home from a week away and it looks as if you are already well established here.

My husband died in January. He was 10 years older . We relocated in the opposite direction, from the North West to the South East, to live near our son. He has heavy responsibilities too, work and family , but I just want you to know it was the best move I could have made because when needed, he was there.

My life was on hold and it has been difficult making new friends but I go to Yoga and Tai Chi, belong to U3A and am slowly got to know people even when I was caring full time.
The best feeling was when someone stopped me to ask the way and I was able to direct them.

I`m so pleased you have found TP. :)

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
We have good days and bad but I also know I don't think I would of been able to cope if I had been the same age as him. Having youth on my side will give me strength to go on

Hello postiglen, Angibails and you other youngsters.
Being now 75, I was only 10 months younger than my husband but it made no difference to coping.
What happens, happens and you have no option but to cope and many do so when even older than this. So, I think you would have been able to cope despite the bad days. The difference I think lies in the word 'hope'- and you're right, possibly 'energy'!

They are a blessing. Tea room sounds fun

I, too, have found my dog to be my constant comfort and companion.

Beware, the Tea Room, although primarily intended for light-heartedness, being for members only and so more private, is also the place where a number of us write our threads which are not quite so light-hearted.

postigen

Nov 15, 2013
warrington
It`s lovely to see the welcome you`ve had from TP. I`ve only just got home from a week away and it looks as if you are already well established here.

My husband died in January. He was 10 years older . We relocated in the opposite direction, from the North West to the South East, to live near our son. He has heavy responsibilities too, work and family , but I just want you to know it was the best move I could have made because when needed, he was there.

My life was on hold and it has been difficult making new friends but I go to Yoga and Tai Chi, belong to U3A and am slowly got to know people even when I was caring full time.
The best feeling was when someone stopped me to ask the way and I was able to direct them.

I`m so pleased you have found TP. :)

I am very sorry to Hear Of your loss. Thank you for your telling me about your situation and im glad you are gradually able to find yourself again. I have a way to go I fear but im sure I will get lots of good advice and tips from TP. Pg