Sundowning

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
When MIL came here over 1 1/2 years ago her sundowning was absolutely unbearable. However now she doesn't have any sundowning. I know nothing is usual and all is unpredictable with this disease but have others found this??

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I have read that it often occurs during middle stages of dementia and can disappear after.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
My Mum used to wander with hers.....off to the non-existant, long gone "Church Social"...
now she doesn't wander anywhere...she can barely walk. Perhaps that's when the need dies - when the ability dies?:confused:

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother suffered from sundowning when she was in the middle stages. Tin, yes, medication can help but it can be rather hit and miss, as the reactions are so very individual. We found the AD drugs helped also.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I've often wondered what stage mum is at, still waiting for full diagnosis after scan 2 weeks ago. Because of the sundowning think I can safely say she is somewhere in the middle. She is definitely sundowning now. Poor thing, she can't stop checking her bags and worrying where everything is.

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
What is the definition of sundowning? I mean what symptoms I know it's supposed to be early evening.
Mum is agitated most of the time, irrational and deluded not just at tea time, is this sundowning?

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
In my husband's case the puzzled and worried behaviour starts regularly, about now, exactly as the sun goes down behind our hill. At the moment he's happily filling a jug and going in and out to water plants and fill bird baths. I can predict that within half an hour he will be more anxious, and will be asking me to explain just exactly what's going on, and he won't understand the answer. This will happen over and over and over...until bedtime, which may be brought forward if I'm finding it hard to cope with. Then he will ask me if doors are locked and the windows closed over and over and over and over and over. Such a shame on a lovely summer evening. Luckily, I have a good book.

Last edited:

worn out

Jul 4, 2014
4.30 every day. what a strange phenomenon. tried giving mum an actual task e.g. sorting out sewing box. sometimes helps

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Sundowning can happen at any time of day but usually in the late afternoon/early evening

Mums starts at 3.30 until 6pm and then she seems to "get over it"

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point