65th Wedding Anniversary or not

Raffles

Nov 8, 2008
North Wales
Friday was our 65th Wedding Anniversary. I gave my husband the few cards we had
[including the one from Queen Elizabeth] to read but he couldn't work out what they were. He went to his day care yesterday and I gave him the one from the Queen to take thinking it would be nice to show the residents and give him something to talk about.
The residents thought it was wonderful and told him he didn't look old enough to be married that long. He insisted he couldn't be and the Queen had got it wrong as although he wasn't sure how old he was he knew he was only in his 60s. Our eldest daughter is 62. There was no Happy Anniversary from him or physical contact of any kind, not even a peck on the cheek in fact apart from what he said about the card no mention of it at all. Just another day to get through like any other. I would say I didn't sign up for this but then I suppose I did when I promised in sickness or in health all those years ago.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
How sad for you. It must have been very hard. Congratulations on your 65 years together. x

Last edited:

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello raffelles congratulations on reaching 65 yrs, last month we celebrated our golden wedding took hubby away for 3 days he didn't remember getting married l made the most of it although very upsetting. ♥♥♥

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Talking Point mobile app

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Congratulations on your 65th anniversary, what an achievement! Sad that hubby wasn't aware. I can sympathise as we've just had our 40th but OH didn't really know what was going on. x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Congratulations.
To reach a 65th wedding anniversary is such an achievement. It is lovely to receive a card from the Queen to mark the occasion but what is really so special is that you are actually still together. There are many who would envy you that.

We had our golden wedding 2 months after my husband entered a nursing home and he had no idea of it at all. That was sad but what was uppermost in my mind at that time was him having to go into the nursing home at all. You are indeed fortunate to have your husband home with you - and still a part of your life. Please take some comfort from that.

I'm not saying it isn't difficult as I know it is but you are so right to look on it as a part of the 'sickness' part of the vows because that is exactly what it is. I hope you were able to have your own little celebration in some way. x

malomm

Mar 23, 2014
Campania Region, Italy
:)Well congratulations from me too on reaching 65 years of marriage. Amazing. I know it must be really sad for you your husband not realising, but that's the way of this blasted illness, isn't it. This year we have our 54th. anniversary, but my wife denies we are even married. At the moment she has me down as 'a paying guest who'll be leaving soon':)
Hugs to you, and keep smiling,
malomm

kayze

Jan 20, 2014
Wow 65 years, congratulations.

It was our wedding anniversary on the 24th June, we have been married only 20 years, my husband did not know what the cards were for, said he was not married and had no children.
It is so sad, I really admire all of you that have been married for so long, that's how I wanted to be, but sadly know this is not going to happen.

Best wishes.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I'm so sorry that your husband didn't realise it was his wedding anniversary, and the 65th one. Wow, that is an amazing achievement. Congratulations. :)

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Congratulations on your 65th wedding anniversary. You should be proud that you are truly living up to the vows you made so many years ago. My FIL did the same for my MIL and gave everyone else in the family the most wonderful example of what a marriage should be. I only hope I can live up to his example.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Congratulations from me too. I know he doesn't remember but you will feel better for having marked the occasion in years to come. At least that's what I told myself when we celebrated our 50th. It's so sad but a horrible symptom of this terrible disease.

Sent from my GT-N5110

Kijo

Feb 9, 2014
Congratulations on celebrating your 65th anniversary! I know it is a bittersweet celebration, even if only for you to remember, but it marks a very special day you shared a lifetime ago with the man you fell in love with.
I just posted about our 33rd anniversary this past week, and realize that we (all the TP people with partners) acknowledge and celebrate these milestones because we did marry out of a deep love for each other, and for better or for worse. There are still memories to be cherished, and shared with family and friends, and the love that brought us to our partners is still something very special to hold onto.
I am sorry your husband couldn't share the moment with you, and admire that you still tried to make it special by sharing the cards with him and his day care friends and carers.
I am glad you shared your milestone with us:)

Raffles

Nov 8, 2008
North Wales
65 Years

Many thanks to all of you for your congratulations, I knew our talking point friends would understand. Now it's back to normal just after 6am and I have just finished cleaning up the bathroom floor where he didn't make it on time again. I know we all promised for better or worse but this worse all the time gets so hard.
Thank you all again for being so understanding.