Stopped watching TV

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
First of all she stopped reading, now she has lost interest in the TV, just staring into space I dread to think what's going through her head all day

Is this normal?

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Mum has almost lost all interest in TV unless it is a programme with singing or dancing.
Loves Idol, The. Voice, Britains Got Talent etc
She watches Coronation Street & Eastenders but doesn't really "watch"it.
Dad tapes them because sure as fate she will say she didn't see that particular episode and has no recollection so watches them again.
Really anything with a storyline is no good.

jen54

May 20, 2014
my first post, but have to say my mum drives us mad with constant switching channels, searching for something to watch, she doesn't seem to take anything in, so she can find,for example) bargain hunt, say I like this, then a minute later she is off again, up the channels, "looking for the news about to start" even though we keep saying there is a 24 hour news channel, then she will end up back on bargain hunt, as if she has only just found it, then..off she goes again. hard keeping up with remote control batteries, she has been like this for a few years, we put it down to stress with my dad having cancer, but she has got worse now he has gone :(

Fhvn

May 21, 2014
Northumberland
My OH went from loving films, theatre and reading to staring into space - except music programmes like Andre Rieu and animal stuff. Nothing with a plot that has to be followed. He used to love mysteries and watched things like Sherlock Holmes, then went down to Midsomer Murders, then to Murder She Wrote, now even that is too much to "take in". So sad.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Last edited:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
First of all she stopped reading, now she has lost interest in the TV, just staring into space I dread to think what's going through her head all day

Is this normal?

Maybe she would enjoy listening rather than watching. Try her on headphones and some old musicals or songs she could hum or sing along to.

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
Maybe she would enjoy listening rather than watching. Try her on headphones and some old musicals or songs she could hum or sing along to.

I got her an old fashioned type stereo so she could play LP's, that beyond her now, even turning on the radio is a feat. Unfortunately headphones would be too tricky believe it or not!

Every time I put a channel on she just says I've seen this before to everything, no idea why...

Also the wonderful remote for Alzheimers is too hard to work so most of the time the TV is off, what an awful way to be, no wonder she's declined so badly recently.

clareglen

Jul 9, 2013
Cumbria
Yes, my mum also does the staring into space, not actually looking at the TV & says she didn't see whatever programme she wanted to watch as 'she was too busy'. I put old musical films (DVDs) on which she likes but either she falls asleep or wanders off. So I'd say it is normal.

cheeky1

Apr 3, 2013
scotland
my dad stopped watching tv a while ago he stares at the clouds and tells us all the things he sees we get a running commentary and if I put music on he seems to think its the people in the clouds that are singing!! He only reads the headline in the newspapaer again and again each time like the first I hate az:mad:

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Mum went through the thing of thinking she had seen everything before. She has the tv on some of the time if the carers put it on but it is clear she can't follow it properly. I am experimenting with dvds and indeed ones with music and dancing she seems to enjoy a bit, although her attention wanders and then sometimes goes back to it.

Put a ballet dvd on as I was leaving, one prob is that on the dvds the copyright thing comes up with the word 'WARNING' in big enough letters that mum can read it and she thinks something is wrong. It has taken me several attempts of putting it on to realise that i need to stand in front of the screen so she can't see that word.:D

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
My MIL who never watched TV during the day before tends to have it on a lot these days but complains that she has seen everything before. Seems to be taken with the tennis at the moment, she is not a sports fan at all & tells me she has no idea what is going but it seems to fascinate her.

treecol

Mar 22, 2013
Dad used to live for his Sky TV, having the most expensive subscription as he wanted every channel. Now we've just cancelled it as he doesn't watch anymore, just sits staring. :(

Candlelight 67

Nov 4, 2013
West Sussex
I think this seeing everything before must be so common for this illness. I wish we all could find a solution. I too will be cancelling my Mother's expensive sky subscription as she just switches it on and off and has seen it all before.:( She still reads the paper and does the code word.

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
My Mum lost interest in reading and TV both at the same time about two years ago, she wont listen to music either. Strangely about a year ago she joined in the karaoke event the home put on, we were gobsmacked as she would never have done that pre_dementia xx

Ange

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Ange, my mother did the chicken dance a few weeks ago. I could explain her doing it (her dementia) haven't worked out what my rationale is. She even remembered for a couple of days that I did it. It was a event at the nursing home. Mum would not have done it pre dementia

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
Ange, my mother did the chicken dance a few weeks ago. I could explain her doing it (her dementia) haven't worked out what my rationale is. She even remembered for a couple of days that I did it. It was a event at the nursing home. Mum would not have done it pre dementia

Bless her, it certainly makes them act completely out of character, it is a mystery to me xx

Ange

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
My mum struggles with the remote now, and I'm wondering whether to get her one of those Flipper ones, or whether it's too late :(

She rarely watches TV. She watches the trees outside her room blowing in the wind, often saying "there's not a breath of wind, is there?", even when there is a definite breeze. Also comments on no-one using the allotments she can see....I think it's all confabulation, really :p

Doesn't help conversation, does it? For example, the usual "EastEnders was good, last night, wasn't it?" (me), is generally met by, " Oh, I think I saw a bit of it, I was doing something else....now what was I doing?.....maybe I was on the phone", etc (mum).

Bless her :)

Maldives13

Feb 4, 2014
I know some people have found the flipper good but we have just returned my mums! Didn't seem to be compatible with her tv and trying to set up the favourites was a nightmare!! She uses am ordinary remote with my sister and I ringing her to get her on the right channel. Nightmare so thought the flipper was the answer to our prAyers! Sadly it wasnt

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Sorry the Flipper didn't work for you and your mum Maldives.

Think I might give one a go, though.....I must be getting desperate!