does anyone use a hoist?

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Have recently acquired one and although have been waiting for three weeks approx for the sling am looking forward.
If there is anybody who uses a hoist- how did you learn to use it? We have carers who no doubt are trained, but I can't get the message over that its no good expecting him to tell them if he is hurting, they need to watch his face.So I would be much happier if I knew how before they start so I can work out with him the best way of moving him.
Anyone have any hints please?

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
It is mandatory for anyone using a hoist to move a patient to have had formal training. This training will include how to use the hoist and also how to use a hoist and maintain a person's dignity whilst doing so.

I'm not sure where you as a relative would get this training but good luck in your quest.

xxTinaT

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Bemused hi,
I've done Moving and Handling courses at both the nursing homes that hubby has been in, before he needed to be hoisted I did the course at his first home with an intake of carers and it was interesting to see how they were taught to use all the equipment.

At the home that he is in now I did the training on the first available course after we got there, it was a much better training for being more holistic about using equipment to move people. So there are good and bad out there but it's vital that you get the training, if possible the same as the carers who you will be working with.

I would ask the agency, if you get the carers through an agency, ask Social Services or whoever provided the hoist about training, if it came through your GP then ask them.

Hubby is very relaxed about being hoisted, helps where he can and puts up with all the bumps and oopses that happen along the way, there are always cables under beds to be navigated!

Good luck and I look forward to hearing how it goes,
with best wishes from Jo

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Thank you both. Jo that's really useful advice. I'll nag everyone I can think of because I'm not prepared to let the carers loose before I am confident myself.They are good carers but we occasionally have differences of opinion about who makes the decisions.Also at the end of the day I will probably finish up using it more than them!

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Hallo bemused. I wonder if you'll come across the same problem that I faced. When my Mum first had to be hoisted, the SW told me that if I were to help with the hoisting (it needs 2 people), I would have to be formally trained and, in any case, the agency wouldn't work with me as I wasn't an employee! There were no local courses available either.

I have had to accept that the carers do the hoisting. Mum is usually OK with it but sometimes protests. It can't be nice, the sensation of being lifted up and not knowing where you're going. You will have to make sure (if you're at home) that there is plenty of space for them to manoeuvre the hoist and to put the commode/armchair in position. I am assuming that you will be getting a mobile hoist as you can also have a ceiling hoist fixed in position.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Hi Nita
I have a ceiling hoist. This only needs one person and I will most definitely be using it myself because husband can't be left alone.So hopefully I will escape these problems.There are advantages to being self funding since sw won't be telling me anything.!!!
But I want to be able to keep an eye on the carers as well as use the hoist myself and that means I have to know what I am doing. :nothing worse than somebody who doesn't know what they are talking about telling you what to do

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
It's good that you have a ceiling hoist that you can use alone. I wish I'd known that one person can operate a ceiling hoist as I would have pushed for one. Also, you're lucky avoiding the involvement of the SS! As it's fixed in place, it must be easier to use than the mobile ones - there won't be so many things to watch out for.

benjie

Apr 14, 2009
north staffs
The OT may be able to assist you or sometimes there are charitable agencies such as Alzheimer's who do courses on handling. We had a manual hoist and in the end I had to operate it myself - hubby was an invalid and constantly getting out of his chair and crawling around - wearing himself out so that I had to hoist him back! Best of luck
Benjie

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Benjie's just reminded me that I was told St John's Ambulance sometimes do manual handling and hoist training. I also found a local care agency that ran training courses but I didn't enquire so not sure if they were open to the public rather than care workers.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Thanks both. The care agency do inhouse training so hopefully they will let me join in.Will also ask the moving and handling consultant. St JOhns dont run anything in this area.

win

Oct 14, 2012
Hoisting

I have read this thread with great interest as I have hoisted my late husband for 8 years whilst he was at home totally paralysed. I had my training at his re-ablement stroke unit
where I worked with the nurses for 3 weeks before I was finally allowed to take him home.
I have used domiciliary companies ever since, and I can honestly say, that even though the carers are always trained in Manual Handling to include the use of a hoist, they have not got a clue when they arrive. It has been up to me as the main carer to teach the carers how we do things. I have never minded and lots of the girls have done their NVQs here because it is one of the few places where they get to learn everything.
I am a firm believer that when carers come in to your home they adapt accordingly and do it your way, there is no doubt who is in charge when you work as the main carer, one has to be in charge for it to run safely and I believe it should be the person who does it every single day. The same carers do not visit 3 times a day 7 days a week. Of course if you leave the carers to do it by themselves (if you have two carers) then it must be up to one of them to take charge.
Personally I would never use the hoist by myself, there is too much danger. you need to watch the legs, feet, head and arms constantly and also watch the person being hoisted to see if their body language is alright. Speak to them all the time, telling them what you are going to be doing next, no surprises, and that should happen in all caring.
I consider myself very experienced after 11 years 24/7 and am more than willing to help any one on here who would like some advice on hoisting.
Your O.T. is your first port of call if you cannot find good training else where, she should teach you before you start using the hoist.
The landing on the bed and coming off the bed is extremely important, with my husband we used the bed as support for his back bringing it up to sitting position before he landed and in reverse when taking him off the bed. I always supported both his legs as if I was carrying them and pushed and that way I helped swinging the hoist in over the bed. Good luck with this important bit of manual handling, it can be very dangerous if you do not know what you are doing.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Win thank you so much.I am so grateful for your advice so soon after the loss of your husband.I have a moving and handling consultant coming on monday to teach m e how to use the hoist.One of the carers we have has a great deal of experience with ms sufferers but as we know they are not always the same ones.But for the very reason you have stated I will not let any of them use it before I know how to.
The m and h consultant says because it is a ceiling hoist I will have no problems using it alone but I'll reserve judgement on that.At the moment we only have carers in the morning and because we are self funding I' ve stuck with that for as long as poss.So many things to cover. OT is also coming in the near future to sort out a new chair.
I really appreciate your help win, it makes such a difference to talk things over with someone with experience.
I hope you read this and Thank you again.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Well today I have had a moving and handling consultant come to show me how to use the hoist. I cannot help remembering when they brought a sit to stand hoist to try two years ago and having tried it he flatly refused to have any kind of hoist whatsoever.Today he was very relaxed and happy to try the ceiling hoist( lucky since we paid for it!!) and cooperated every step of the way.Now the advice is just to get him used to it bit by bit.
Every step along this road is hard. This is not a directly dementia but a long standing physical problem. But to see my poor oh accepting so much without a fight is so so sad.
Easier I have to admit but his spirit is just leaking away and its so very hard to witness.First tears I've shed in a long time but it is such a huge step to surrender control of your own body. Perhaps its just as well he is far along in this journey for it not to be the battle it used to be. I hope for his sake it continues to be easier.

win

Oct 14, 2012
you will be fine

Win thank you so much.I am so grateful for your advice so soon after the loss of your husband.I have a moving and handling consultant coming on monday to teach m e how to use the hoist.One of the carers we have has a great deal of experience with ms sufferers but as we know they are not always the same ones.But for the very reason you have stated I will not let any of them use it before I know how to.
The m and h consultant says because it is a ceiling hoist I will have no problems using it alone but I'll reserve judgement on that.At the moment we only have carers in the morning and because we are self funding I' ve stuck with that for as long as poss.So many things to cover. OT is also coming in the near future to sort out a new chair.
I really appreciate your help win, it makes such a difference to talk things over with someone with experience.
I hope you read this and Thank you again.

Hello again, I did not realise it was a ceiling hoist you are having, even better, they are so much easier to use. I was trained using one in the stroke re-hab hospital where my husband spent just over 3 months in 2006. You can use that by yourself, but it is of course always easier with two. Good luck to you. x

win

Oct 14, 2012
That could have been me writing this

Well today I have had a moving and handling consultant come to show me how to use the hoist. I cannot help remembering when they brought a sit to stand hoist to try two years ago and having tried it he flatly refused to have any kind of hoist whatsoever.Today he was very relaxed and happy to try the ceiling hoist( lucky since we paid for it!!) and cooperated every step of the way.Now the advice is just to get him used to it bit by bit.
Every step along this road is hard. This is not a directly dementia but a long standing physical problem. But to see my poor oh accepting so much without a fight is so so sad.
Easier I have to admit but his spirit is just leaking away and its so very hard to witness.First tears I've shed in a long time but it is such a huge step to surrender control of your own body. Perhaps its just as well he is far along in this journey for it not to be the battle it used to be. I hope for his sake it continues to be easier.

I can feel your sorrow, I understand how you feel, my late husband was always placid and laid back but in the final months there was no resistance what so ever, just cries for help in a sad voice and those lovely eyes looking so deeply at me, so vulnerable, it breaks your heart. He will know that you care, love him and want the best for him, just comfort him all the way, you will not regret it later, it makes it so much easier to accept your loss when it finally comes. My thought are with you. x

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Somewhat ironically there are only two people in my area with ceiling hoists and. Nobody with the H hoist I have. How ironic is that!When I said I didn't want the carers to start using it before I knew how to I thought they would think I was getting a bit up myself but it seems if anything I am the expert!

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Well we have been using the hoist a little bit. This weekend we had a chair to trial with a view to buying. So husband has had to hoisted in and out of it. It's been a pretty steep learning curve for me and the carers,none of whom were familiar with the type of sling or hoist we have or someone of my husband's size. But most of all my poor husband,known all his life as a difficult man, has been so tolerant of the pushing and pulling and the very thing, two years ago,he swore he would never have.
We use a domicillary agency and I have to say the carers and the office staff have all been fantastic.I was so worried about employing any in the first place but now I could not manage without them.

win

Oct 14, 2012
Well we have been using the hoist a little bit. This weekend we had a chair to trial with a view to buying. So husband has had to hoisted in and out of it. It's been a pretty steep learning curve for me and the carers,none of whom were familiar with the type of sling or hoist we have or someone of my husband's size. But most of all my poor husband,known all his life as a difficult man, has been so tolerant of the pushing and pulling and the very thing, two years ago,he swore he would never have.
We use a domicillary agency and I have to say the carers and the office staff have all been fantastic.I was so worried about employing any in the first place but now I could not manage without them.

What a lovely positive post to read, I expect you have become an expert now and they carers look to you for guidance. That is how it was here every time we got a new carer.
Glad to hear your husband is co-operative, it makes life so much easier. Well done you. x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson