The funny side of dementia

21citrouilles

Aug 11, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
One thing I found particularly funny was my gran was blowing her nose and complaining saying "oh dear these tissues are a lot rougher than the ones I usually buy" when I turned around she was blowing her nose on a slice of bread! I was in stitches and when I pointed out what she was doing she was too haha

Wow! That one is amazing! Kept me chuckling. :D

21citrouilles

Aug 11, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Yes, the funny side of dementia has kept us from despair.

Once, mama called my brother.

Mama: I really need your help! You have to come over right away!

Son: What is wrong?

Mama: My phone is not working!

Son: But it is... You're calling me now...

Mama: Oh...

She used to rummage in her purse every half hour or so, getting more frustrated as she couldn't find anything. I had made envelopes clearly labelled with items like stamps, money, lotery tickets. But the problem was that as she put them in again in her purse, she would fit one envelope into the other. So I took her purse and put everything in its place again. Twenty minutes after, she took the purse, saying with a stern look that it needed organizing. I couldn't help smiling and she laughed, saying triumphantly that she'd caught me grinning!

While still living in her appartment, she often complained that somebody was stealing her cigarettes. (She often forgot where she put them).

mama: Somebody has stolen my cigarettes again. I know it.

me: Who could it be? The nurses or the girls from homecare?

mama, indignantly: Of course not!

me: Then who else could it be?

mama: Whatever. I know that someone is stealing them.

She had two plastic bags: one for empty soda bottles, one for recycling. We couldn't understand why she put exactly one half of the bottles and of the recycling in each bag.

Thanks for starting this thread! :D

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya Citrouilles,

Haven't seen you posting in ages! Your stories bring back memories! LOL My mother's problem with the phone was that she would use her tv remote control thinking it was the phone. We could hear her talking away but she couldn't hear us and would get annoyed because we weren't responding! LOL How is your mum doing in her home?

Fiona

Chase my tail

Jan 11, 2014
Tyne & Wear
Hi these posts really make me laugh , so good for you .
I used to go with Mam to an exercise to music class , the ladies there were really lovely they made us very welcome . It was one of the ladies birthdays so when the class was finished everyone was given a mini chocolate Swiss roll .
Mam & I were walking down the stairs with 2 of the very nice ladies ,when mam said how kind it was to give everyone a chocolate Swiss roll , then said to me " I will give mine to your Dad " laughed and winked " you never know what I might get " It went a bit quiet .
Talk about lowering the tone !

Merrymaid

Feb 21, 2014
Mum's appetite was flagging a bit so bought her some wild blueberry conserve to tickle her taste buds. After enjoying her toast with the spread on she asked what it was called, I told her and she said, 'I like having wild boobies on my toast'. Fits of giggles all round! :D

Wildlife

Jun 19, 2012
Sheffield
I've so enjoyed reading this thread, been crying with laughter. Thank you everyone who has posted on it.
Mum often comes out with amusing things (but she always did when she was well too. She sympathised with a friend who had ringing in the ears. "Such a shame she has tittiness....")
Since she's been going in a Care Home for respite, she always refers to the other residents as "The Inmates" which rather startles the staff.

jellyfish

Apr 30, 2014
West Midlands
I was feeling really low tonight but this thread has had me rolling around the living room in fits of laughter. Such good medicine after a tough day of caring though bittersweet. Thank you all so much for sharing your amusing experiences xx

Last edited:

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Phone call with MIL last night-

MIL, what are you watching on TV

Me, we are going to be watching the football

MIL, Oh, I don't know what's on, is it Saturday?

Me, No, it is Thursday (me scrabbling to find TV mag) Springwatch is on

MIL, is it this Thursday or last Thursday?

15 minutes later, 2nd call

MIL I can't get it on my TV

Me, it is number 2

MIL, what, on my phone?

Me, no, on your TV remote control

MIL, Oh, I've been trying to get it on my phone. Wait a minute, I'll have to turn round, OK it is working now.

Priceless, sad but funny.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Phone call with MIL last night-

MIL, what are you watching on TV

Me, we are going to be watching the football

MIL, Oh, I don't know what's on, is it Saturday?

Me, No, it is Thursday (me scrabbling to find TV mag) Springwatch is on

MIL, is it this Thursday or last Thursday?

15 minutes later, 2nd call

MIL I can't get it on my TV

Me, it is number 2

MIL, what, on my phone?

Me, no, on your TV remote control

MIL, Oh, I've been trying to get it on my phone. Wait a minute, I'll have to turn round, OK it is working now.

Priceless, sad but funny.

Spluttered my coffee all over my keyboard, laughing after reading the first one - as you say, 'priceless, sad but funny' :) x

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
I must say I really hesitated to answer the question, I mean I know it's this Thursday but what do you say!! I settled for it's Thursday the 12th of June cos I know she was looking at her TV mag.

copsham

Oct 11, 2012
Oxfordshire
This thread often makes me laugh out loud. You have to have experienced dementia to really appreciate it. At times i Laugh out loud and I feel like the "mad woman" again. Sometimes I tell my husband and despite his character he has laughed out loud too.

Any cartoon artists out there - a lovely little book in the making????
:)

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
We're still giggling here. My husband asked me where he should put the vase of flowers he'd just topped up with water. "The middle of the table" I said. "The Tiddle of the Mabel?" he answered.

Mabel's tiddle - now there's a new name for flower water, I love it:D

Connie47

Nov 12, 2013
My eldest son comes home every Friday he is a Teacher and has very busy weeks, he always gets home after My Mum has taken herself to her room for the night, but he always goes and says hello.
Tonight he goes up says hello, Mum says "I need to put my hearing aid in" Son waits, Mum picks up her false teeth and tries to put them in her ear, they don't fit!! so hooks them over her ear while shouting at son " If your Mother didn't steal my things I could hear!!"
So now giggling like a girl says " I love you Nan " Mum tuts loudly and says "Don't you try that young man Iv'e had bigger than you for breakfast!!"
Oh dear lol

copsham

Oct 11, 2012
Oxfordshire
Oh Connie, it sounds so funny- if you didn't laugh you would cry!!

Not to underestimate the demands on you - careful you don't get eaten for breakfst!!:)

ksm1991

Jan 8, 2014
Northampton
My pap made me chuckle today, me trying to keep him safe turned into him being abusive. But about an hour after this occurred he had forgotten and wanted to take a shower, so he said have you got the keys to the front door?, I said yes but where are you going? He said I'm just going out to the left side of my bedroom window to turn on the power for the shower . Bless him. :eek:

Miss Polly

Feb 12, 2014
I was doing some ironing in my room while Mum was having a lie in. She sleeps downstairs. I had the tv on but I heard the stairs creak so I looked out of my door. She was peeping over the bannisters. "Hello Mum," I said. She gave me a very strange look and said "Have you got men in there?" Once I'd stopped laughing I said, "I wish but no, it's the tv." She looked very relieved.

Miss Polly

Feb 12, 2014
I took Mum to the opticians for an eye test. I had warned them of her dementia just in case. Each time the optician spoke to Mum he raised his voice. When he left the room she said, "He must think I'm deaf as well as blind."

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
On Sunday I went to visit mum in the CH. We sat chatting and she leaned into me as if telling me a secret. She pointed out a lady who was wandering around. She then says "that's all she does, walk around the place. I think she's looking for men". That's going to be a long search as they are in a home for ladies only! Even the staff are all women!

No wonder there's so much excitement when the male entertainer comes in, I think he's very popular! :D