The funny side of dementia

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
As I usually do, I curled Mils' hair for her yesterday morning, ready for day care.

She walked through to the large mirror in the lounge, gazed at herself, patted her snow white locks and said to me

"I think I need a hair dye - the grey is starting to show" :D

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
I would never have thought Mums Alzheimers would result in me getting extra exercise!
Every Wednesday I take her grocery shopping.
She makes a list, but cannot follow it well.

We will get practically to the end, and then she will say wheres such and such.
I tell her to stay put with the trolleys and off I go several aisles back, get what she's after sprint back, least of all she has left the trolleys, when Mum remembers another thing she couldn't find on her list.
Sometimes I have to do 4 or 5 trips.
I will have to get a bit smarter and pre empt the forgotten items, but then I could do with the extra exercise after all :D

Pookie

Dec 29, 2011
That's what Peter was like with his cousin. She drove him mad but he lost weight:rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Talking Point mobile app

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
Mum caught sight of her reflection in the glass door the hospital, a little old lady with white hair in a wheelchair. "Ahh bless, look at that poor old soul" she intoned "I hope I go before I get in that state" :(

cricketmad

Mar 24, 2014
Wiltshire
My mother saw the photograph of the Queen on the front of the paper yesterday and asked who it was.

I replied "The Queen"

She said "Well she's looking old."

I said, "Yes mum I agree with you."

She then said, "I hope I look better than that when I get to her age."

Mum was eighty nine on 19th April!!

Raex

Apr 6, 2014
One thing I found particularly funny was my gran was blowing her nose and complaining saying "oh dear these tissues are a lot rougher than the ones I usually buy" when I turned around she was blowing her nose on a slice of bread! I was in stitches and when I pointed out what she was doing she was too haha

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Visited mum today. We were talking about her "work" that she does at the care home.

She is under the impression she is the activities organiser - she used to be one in the 1960's in a Mental Hospital

She was telling me about all the residents in the lounge in a reasonably loud voice. When I shhh her, she said she had to speak loud as they were all deaf or so away with the fairies, they only understood her if she shouted :eek: :eek:

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
To finish.... TP keeps throwing me off tonight....

One lady turned to another and said

"Don't know what she's on about, the only one away with the fairies is HER" :D

Kellie-Ann

Apr 22, 2014
Southampton
What I find really funny is when my nan tells me stuff from years ago over and over but every time she tells me there is even more swear words then before and the story always changes every time and she wonders why I'm crying with laughter

Sent from my iPhone

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
We're still giggling here. My husband asked me where he should put the vase of flowers he'd just topped up with water. "The middle of the table" I said. "The Tiddle of the Mabel?" he answered.

ASH74

May 18, 2014
At the memory clinic relative tells psychiatrist that he doesn't have any problems since I have been sedating him everyday!!!?! Eyebrow up from psychiatrist at me! Rapidly explained that I had arranged dosette boxes......that was all honest!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Insomniac

Apr 29, 2014
Before we had the key box fitted to mums house, I'd gone round but forgotten (ironically!) to take my set of keys. Mum couldn't unlock the door from the inside so I said 'pass them thru the letterbox and I'll do it'. She passed them thru on the lanyard she keeps them attached to. I kept pulling and pulling but couldn't get them thru the letterbox 'you'll need to let them go for me to open the door!' I said impatiently. 'I can't!' came the voice from the other side of the door 'they're still round my neck!'

Still makes me chuckle .....!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
One thing I found particularly funny was my gran was blowing her nose and complaining saying "oh dear these tissues are a lot rougher than the ones I usually buy" when I turned around she was blowing her nose on a slice of bread! I was in stitches and when I pointed out what she was doing she was too haha

Tears rolling down face. :D:D:D:D

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Before we had the key box fitted to mums house, I'd gone round but forgotten (ironically!) to take my set of keys. Mum couldn't unlock the door from the inside so I said 'pass them thru the letterbox and I'll do it'. She passed them thru on the lanyard she keeps them attached to. I kept pulling and pulling but couldn't get them thru the letterbox 'you'll need to let them go for me to open the door!' I said impatiently. 'I can't!' came the voice from the other side of the door 'they're still round my neck!'

Oh heavens, I getting funny looks from OH as laughing so much. :D:D

Lady Phoenix

Account Closed
Feb 8, 2014
Various
Seems that my lady is starting to get up earlier now that summer has finally kicked on.

This is a post I made on facebook last week.

So, I wake up this morning to find my lady sitting on the end of the bed asking me if its too early to get up yet. Its funnier now than it was at 05:30

Anyway, seems this morning sees the "part 2" of the story.

So, I get woken up this morning with my lady standing over my bed. Now, I cant be sure of the exact time but the fact that my alarm hadnt gone off, my confused state and the fact that it had just begun to get light I would estimate it at between 4am and 5am.
So, she is chattering away about something. I have no idea what, Im so tired I cant even keep my eyes open. Then I notice that my window is open and there is a light breeze, so I ask her if she is too cold as the wind is blowing.
Then she just walks off, so naturally I fall asleep again. The next thing I know she is putting a blanket across the top of my bed to keep me warm.

Does anyone really need another reason why I love this job so much?

21citrouilles

Aug 11, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Dementia sucks, it really does, but sometimes it's better to laugh than cry!

There are so many hilarious things that my dad has said and done, and I just wish that I'd written them all down! Dad loves playing chess (against himself) and the other day when he opened the oven to take out his roasting cashew nuts and found a white pawn turned black. Yes - he roasted his pawn! ...and then painted it white again.

Due to dads Parkinson's disease, he had a chair which he can remotely control, so with a press of a button he can move all the way up to standing or all the way down to lying. He often leans on the remote and the chair moves, but he doesn't realise it is. The other day we were listening to music and 'you raise me up' by west life came on. You've probably guessed it - yes, he lent on the remote and as the lyrics 'you raise me uuuuuup' were sung, his chair magically starting raising. Hilarious.

He also went to morrisons the other day and came back with 19 deserts. 19!!!! Oh dad.

LOL I love hearing these funny stories; they make everything lighter. :)

21citrouilles

Aug 11, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
When in hospital, my mother took it upon herself to take over the role of ward admin, unbeknownst to the staff. She hated when no one was answering the phone so, she would go answer it saying, "hello, Riverside Church, how can I help" No one knew about this until the hospital switchboard got a number of complaints that they had been put through to the chaplaincy service and not the ward. It took a bit of investigating to find out how the culprit was! LOL

Before that she was bad. Lots of delusions but one in particular had us in hysterics. Her bed was opposite the nurses station and behind the desk was a general stores room for the ward. My mother however said it was her newsagents shop and that everyone was going in there and stealing her stock. She would shout out to everyone going in there to leave the money on the counter and that she was watching them. LOL At visiting time she was watching all the visitors. Anyone who arrived with a newspaper or magazine was quizzed to find out if they had paid or not! This went on for a couple of weeks and some of the staff said "we would pay her if we thought it would shut her up!" LOLOL

Fiona

Gods! These are great stories Fiona.