Hospital refusing discharge

Archie123

Jun 9, 2014
My mother was recently admitted to hospital as an emergency (mainly because the out of hours doctor delayed to visit her at home by 24 hours and her carers got concerned). Since her arrival at hospital, the hospital has been lacking in its communication with my brother and myself about what medical tests have or havent been done. We have tried to furnish them with information regarding her care at home through a care company and ourselves, the tests she previously refused to have done as she wouldnt leave the house, amongst other information, all of which has repeatedly not been added to her notes and not acted upon. We have, after 2 weeks, been unable to speak directly to a doctor despite repeated requests. It appears her medical treatment (a prolapse and urinary infection) have come to an end but the hospital has been evasive over a discharge date and want her to go to a nursing home. this is distressing my mother as she still recognises what her home is and her health has not deteriorated since before her hospital visit and this decision (though the information from the hospital nurse is limited) appears to have been made on the fact that she wanders the ward and they believe she may be at risk at home. She has never wandered at home. We still havent managed to get a doctor to speak to us and we want to take her home now but the information from the hospital is still evasive. Short of self discharging her what can we do and what steps should we take with the hospital? I feel they have made a decision without us and without any discussions with people who know her and are now 'arming ' themselves with information to back this decision up and force a nursing home on us rather than discuss what my mother still obviously wants. For info: i have LPA for health but it hasnt arrived in the post yet (from 3 months ago) and she has never been formally diagnosed with dementia.

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Nr Heathrow, Mum has AD & VD
Sorry I am not the best person to reply but please do enquire about PALS (The Patient Advice and Liaison Service) at the hospital as they are the sort of complaint department and should be able to help.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
In my experience hospitals can't get ready of patients fast enough so I would strongly suspect that your mothers condition warrants further attention. Don't do anything silly but wait until you can get ahold of her doctor and ask for a full picture of what is going on.

Cloverland

Jun 9, 2014
PoA's do take several months to come through, we have financial in place which took nearly 4 months as there are several stages to go through. If you believe your mum is suffering from dementia do get it diagnosed as this will entitle her to some financial assistance such as zero council tax unless living with a spouse and attendance allowance, these are not dependant on savings. There is some help once a diagnosis is in place and medication which can help but not unless she has been diagnosed.

Unfortunately the hospital can only go by what they are seeing and do have single vision. But do keep on with requests to speak with the dr they can't refuse. My dad was recently admitted because of a uti and despite us repeatedly saying he can wander they ignored us, but I was always able to speak with a dr or staff nurse and did eventually get through to them.

cf1611

Apr 16, 2014
My mother was recently admitted to hospital as an emergency (mainly because the out of hours doctor delayed to visit her at home by 24 hours and her carers got concerned). Since her arrival at hospital, the hospital has been lacking in its communication with my brother and myself about what medical tests have or havent been done. We have tried to furnish them with information regarding her care at home through a care company and ourselves, the tests she previously refused to have done as she wouldnt leave the house, amongst other information, all of which has repeatedly not been added to her notes and not acted upon. We have, after 2 weeks, been unable to speak directly to a doctor despite repeated requests. It appears her medical treatment (a prolapse and urinary infection) have come to an end but the hospital has been evasive over a discharge date and want her to go to a nursing home. this is distressing my mother as she still recognises what her home is and her health has not deteriorated since before her hospital visit and this decision (though the information from the hospital nurse is limited) appears to have been made on the fact that she wanders the ward and they believe she may be at risk at home. She has never wandered at home. We still havent managed to get a doctor to speak to us and we want to take her home now but the information from the hospital is still evasive. Short of self discharging her what can we do and what steps should we take with the hospital? I feel they have made a decision without us and without any discussions with people who know her and are now 'arming ' themselves with information to back this decision up and force a nursing home on us rather than discuss what my mother still obviously wants. For info: i have LPA for health but it hasnt arrived in the post yet (from 3 months ago) and she has never been formally diagnosed with dementia.

I had a similar situation with my mother, the hospital trying to force her into care against her will and ours. If your mother does not have the cognitive ability to make the choice then they must adhere to the MCA, a best interest meeting etc. If they insist on residential care then she will need a deprivation of liberty assessment. If she has the mental capacity to make her own choices they cannot insist on her going I to care. From my experience I'd advice you to make sure you read the mental capacity act and insist they comply with it.