Night talking, not sleeping

WirelessPaul

Feb 10, 2012
Leeds
Recently Sue has spent two nights "talking", sitting up, fidgeting. This is not just for an hour but for most of the night. I was just wondering if other people had come across this.

Thanks
Paul Hudson

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
My husband does this most nights he does not sleep for more than 2 hours at a time and spends a lot of time skipping through the tv channels on the remote, talking, moving around, (I joke he trampolines and river dances all night,) sorting through his drawers and boxes, up and down to the toilet and sitting on the side of the bed, he has done this for years, I am reluctant to get any medication to help him sleep as he is prone to falling out of bed when he is not well,

Sorry I can't help but I hope that it is just a phase she is going through,

Best wishes Jeany x

Mun

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
My dad who has AD/VasD does this almost nightly. While he lies in his bed,he sings,shouts out,laughs & has conversations with people who aren't there ! My mum sleeps in a separate bedroom & claims not to hear him,but when I've stayed over on occasions,I get very little sleep ! No wonder dad is tired throughout the day :-(

WirelessPaul

Feb 10, 2012
Leeds
Thanks for those comments, Sue was doing the same thing as your Dad, Mun; Lots of laughing and answering, no singing though. No-one has ever gone beyond "Alzheimer's" in diagnosing Sue.

It was a quiet night last night- we shall have to wait and see. Sue can sit up gets her legs off the edge of the bed but after that physical activity is limited (though physically there is nothing wrong) and cannot work out what to do after that even recovering herself up to get warm would not get done.

Paul

Last edited:

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Recently Sue has spent two nights "talking", sitting up, fidgeting. This is not just for an hour but for most of the night. I was just wondering if other people had come across this.

Thanks
Paul Hudson

I too have the same problem with my 80 yr old mother, imaginary conversations, wandering around the house packing bags and wrapping up family photos, all the time talking and filling me in on what she's doing. its usually for 3 nights and on the 4th she rests but not for long. I can sometimes stop this wandering by putting what is her favourite dvd on in her bedroom. it lasts 3hours and 10 minutes and I get a break.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk

Thanks
Paul Hudson

Hiya Paul,

Interesting name you've got on here! Where does the wireless bit come from?

For many, many months, my husband has been up and pacing for most of the day and night. I wonder how anyone could possibly manage, day in, day out, for months at a time with so little sleep. I even asked about it once, but never got a response and have now become sadly, used to it.

Hubby does rest now during the day. He's snuggled under his duvet on the sofa right now. When he wakens, it's the pacing that drives me bonkers. It was quite bad, last night. He spends his time looking for the cat, so that means opening and closing back and front entry doors several times a day, and night, eventually shutting the animal indoors. And we all know what THAT leads to, without being graphic.

I'm wondering myself how long this phase lasts...

Merrymaid

Feb 21, 2014
I can empathise with you there Paul. Mum likes to rearrange her chest of drawers until late, chat to her 'friends' and constantly flush the loo. After a short sleep she then continues her routine from the early hours. If I wake up to no noise I quickly become alarmed! She will then comment on how unexplainably tired she is before having a little nap. :eek:

LAP

Nov 23, 2010
Tyne & Wear
sleep whats that?

Thanks
Paul Hudson
At last I have read that other people are having the same problem. I wondered. My hubby is up at least 5 times each night - he often looks for his wallet which means he is in every drawer in the bedroom slamming them shut when he doesn't find anything. It may be that he looks for his glasses, or keys or whatever. Whatever he cannot find it means we don't get enough sleep and he gets very belligerent when I suggest that he comes back to bed.

We were. on holiday with my daughter and family in Menorca 10 days ago. We each had our own apartment, but the night times were a nightmare. He didn't know where he was, or where the bathroom was or " what is this room" / the sitting room of the apartment. Twice he got out into the corridor, I have never leapt out of bed so quickly.
I am assuming that this behaviour seems to be normal for ad sufferers.

This week I found him at 3am looking out of the bedroom window and asking me where we were. A few times recently he hasn't recognised our own home.

We are due to go on holiday to Sorrento on Friday but with hubby the way he is, and my 97 year old father being unwell, I am between a rock and a hard place wondering if it is worth going.
This is a dreadful disease and sadly some of our friends seem to have deserted us. I do feel very alone but at the suggestion of one of the moderators I am going to visit the local alzheimers establishment and see what is on offer.

Like Dave and so many of you I am with hubby 24/7. There are times when it is so difficult.

Merrymaid

Feb 21, 2014
Hi LAP you're having it really tough at the moment. What a shame that you are having your holidays taken over by having to be on alert all the time. I understand you are undecided as to whether to embark on another trip, but even with the issues you are dealing with it could be that a change of scenery may well do you some good. I hope you get some assistance with your caring responsibilities it's sounds like you deserve a break! Good luck :)

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Is it 'normal' for VaD sufferers to suddenly start having conversations with non-existent people? My husband started this yesterday, getting agitated because I couldn't see who he was talking to. Got him to bed at a reasonable time but then he woke up coughing and was sick all over the bed. After that he talked all night to different imaginary people, kept getting up and wandering, fell a couple of times, not badly. I think we got about 2 hours sleep. Now when I want him to get up he's fast asleep and I'm just about to start work until 5.00pm. I suspect he still has a chest infection although he's only just finished one course of antibiotics. I've made an appointment to take him to the doctor later, so hope I can get him up. Better get on with the washing before work!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Is it 'normal' for VaD sufferers to suddenly start having conversations with non-existent people? My husband started this yesterday, getting agitated because I couldn't see who he was talking to. Got him to bed at a reasonable time but then he woke up coughing and was sick all over the bed. After that he talked all night to different imaginary people, kept getting up and wandering, fell a couple of times, not badly. I think we got about 2 hours sleep. Now when I want him to get up he's fast asleep and I'm just about to start work until 5.00pm. I suspect he still has a chest infection although he's only just finished one course of antibiotics. I've made an appointment to take him to the doctor later, so hope I can get him up. Better get on with the washing before work!

I do know that with Mil, we often see an increase in hallucinations and delusions when she has an infection - I think she may have a UTI at the moment, and today she has been asking me every 5 minutes or so why I've been shouting her name - when I assure her I haven't, she is insisting that someone is calling her. Though I can't be sure, I think this may an auditory hallucination, and its probable that the suspected UTI is causing it.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Doctor confirmed another chest infection and has put B on another course of antibiotics and a short course of steroids, also put him on a nebuliser to help his breathing so hopefully he will be feeling better soon. These infections are so disruptive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathleen s