Any help or support for new carers? Don't know where to turn...

charl975

Jun 5, 2014
Hi all.. I wonder if anyone can help. I recently lost my grandad to cancer and since he passed, my nan mental health has gradually deteriorated and she has been diagnosed with early signs of dementia. This has put increasing pressure on my mum who is not only grieving the loss of her dad but also having to cope with the change in her mum. She works full time and is juggling work and trying to look after my nan who calls her constantly all day and keeps doing things quite out of character. She feels stressed, frustated, guilty and unable to cope. Is there any help available? Any organisations? We feel at a loss and don't know where to turn for help. If anyone's been in a similar situation I'd appreciate the help. Thanks

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Charl, hello and a warm welcome to Talking Point,
What a sad time you and your family are having, the grief from losing your grandad must be affecting you all.

The first point of contact for your nan should be her GP, if you can get her to make an appointment and someone should go with her to make sure that all relevant information is passed on, make a diary of unusual or strange behaviour if you can as this will help to explain some of your worries. If she isn't keen to go to see the doctor then maybe your mum can contact them with a list of her worries and ask them to make a routine 'health check' appointment when they are pre-warned of the problems and can ask the right questions when she turns up.

I hope that you can get some help soon, it sounds as if you are all suffering and there is help out there but most of it is only available through a first contact with the GP.

Wishing you well and I look forward to hearing how it goes.
With best wishes from Jo

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi charl975 and welcome to TP :)

I am sorry to hear of you and your family's situation, but please be assured that help is available.

I wonder whether your mum has asked for help through her mum's GP? He or she may be able to make appropriate referrals to social or health services.

Or your mum could contact the adult care services department of your local council ( if you are in the UK). Your grandmother would be entitled to an assessment of her needs, and your mum to a Carers assessment. This would hopefully lead on to some support services such as care visits, or day care ....the latter sounds like it might be appropriate as your mum works. You will find more about these assessments here: http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=131 or here: http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents.php?categoryID=200137

Also I wonder whether your grandmother is receiving Attendance Allowance? This is not means tested and can help to pay for support.

Get more information on Carers services here: http://www.carers.org/

That's all just to start you off :)

I wish you all well. Keep posting here....it's a great source of information and support :)

Good luck

Lindy xx

Chook

Jun 14, 2013
Westcountry
All what Lindy just said! I didn't bother so much with the GP, they were pretty useless, I called adult services myself and went from there.

See if they do Take-a-break scheme in your area.

Good luck.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976