Advice please on attendance allowance

thebes

Feb 10, 2014
London
When the OT visited last week she was surprised my OH was not already getting AA. She cleared up a misunderstanding I held about it but I am still anxious about applying. I have read on other sites how very hard it is to qualify. Please dear TP friends tell me what your experience has been like - hopefully that will motivate me to start on the form. It's not that I am usually wary about forms but since my OH's rapid decline over the last 6 months, there seem so many new things to cope with that I am a bit over whelmed. Of course the broken nights and uncertain days don't help do they:(.
I know many of you are dealing with much more difficult situations than I am, and would like to thank you for what you share. I have not posted much but am often watching and with you in spirit, also thankful for your insider knowledge and sharing of skills and ideas.

60's child

Apr 23, 2013
suffolk
Hi Thebes
I contacted the local branch of the alzheimers society. A support worker came to my house and helped me fill in the forms. There are certain words to use that I would not have thought of. She also wrote a covering letter that I included with the application and it went straight through. I think Age UK also offer help with this.
My advice would be to get help as it makes it much more starightforward. I am sure you do not have much time to spend filling in paperwork....
G

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Absolutely agree with the above. Do not attempt to fill it in yourself. Contact Age UK and ask for help with it and save yourself a lot of work and delay.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The thing to realise about Attendance Allowaqnce is that the application is judged by a 'tick box' approach.

Words and pharses in both questions and answers have defined meanings.

It is more or less essential to go to CAB/AGEUK or similar for help, make an appointment.

As I think you have found out Attendance Allowance does not have to be spent on somebody attending the applicant, it can be spent on anything beneficial to the applicant.

If the OT thought your OH should have it, go for it, you have nothing to loose.

Sheepteach

Sep 4, 2011
Somerset
Hi, I totally agree with the above posts. I filled the form out myself about 2 years ago, and dad was turned down. As financially he can manage, I left it until about 6 weeks ago and my local branch of the CAB were very helpful. Still waiting to hear the result, but it definitely helped to have others who knew the correct terminology, e.g. vulnerable adult, etc to use on the form.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I filled it in myself and it was turned down, but I appealed, including an up-to-date medical report plus a letter from a contact at the Alzheimer's Society and this time it was approved. It took 3 months altogether but the payments were backdated so he got a nice wodge in his account all of a sudden. We are now applying for the Higher Rate - it can take up to 11 weeks for a decision apparently.
I hate having to fill in forms but this one is a good one as not means-tested and you don not have to spend it on something particular. It also opens doors to other potential benefits like Council Tax Reduction.

Tinkerbelle258

Nov 13, 2012
N E Lincolnshire
I got Attendance Allowance for my husband prettily easily. I downloaded the forms one Sunday afternoon, filled them in totally honestly (i e "can he wash/dress himself? answer, yes if you give him 2 hours to do it, tell him what to do stage by stage and hand him each piece of clothing as necessary).
I posted them on the Monday morning and had an acceptance reply the following week.
I also sent copies of care plans, discharge papers from a hospital stay and enclosed names of doctors, care workers etc, in fact anyone who had been in contact with him.
All I can say is take the time to gather together all you can (on paper) and post them off. And if you fail the first time, don't give up, you're entitled to it.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Get Ageuk to do it and, if you are having broken nights, you should be able to get AA at the higher rate. Ageuk know and it's much faster. AA is backdated to the application date, so do it now!

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
I did it myself and am awaiting result. I had a phone call asking me to send the lasting power of attorney forms which I have done. I asked if that meant my husband would get it and I was told that they weren't allowed to say over the phone but that I could read into the fact that they were asking for proof. She said they wouldn't be doing that if his application had been rejected. So we are now waiting to hear the result.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Age Concern volunteered to fill in the forms for my husband and he was accepted straight away, as someone else said it took a few weeks but payments were back dated and paid in a lump sum.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Well....

I filled in the forms for my dad, he was refused although very ill and needing lots of help. I appealed, was turned down again, so went to a tribunal about it, taking with me dossiers of argument and medical evidence. It was agreed within two minutes at tribunal, and back-dated for the 18 months it had taken me to get it.

With mum, I filled in the forms, but by then had learned what they needed to know. She was approved immediately.

My definite advice would be to get the assistance of Age UK or of the CAB. Honestly, if you are turned down and need to appeal, the stress is massive. So don't get into that position if you can help it....use the advice and assistance services that are there to help.

All the best

Lindy xx

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
Carers UK helped me fill in the forms as I had no idea where to start. Mum got higher rate.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I filled in the forms myself. Originally I applied for my mother and my husband. I had a call from the department to clarify something. The person was extremely helpful.My mother was granted higher rate and my husband lower. My mother died 3 years ago and I eventually applied for the higher rate for my husband as his needs had increased. He was granted higher rate with no further questions when I applied for the higher rate for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Age UK helped me fill in AA for my mother and she was awarded the high rate. I applied for my husband thinking I knew what to do and say and he was turned down. The Stroke Association told us they would help with appeal but now my husband refuses to go down that route! So, yes, get help with filling in the form!!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I did those for my husband myself and it was passed straight away. Perhaps if I had asked someone in the know to do it he might have received the higher rate but he didn't really need help at night then so I doubt it. Once he went into a nursing home he got the higher rate whilst he was totally self-funding.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Saffie, you should know, always go for the worst case scenario! When OH higher rate was granted, I had only had a few broken nights. However, the next few months were horrendous and I don't think I got a nights decent sleep! But better now fortunately , mainly as recent ops have settled that particular problem.

2197alexandra

Oct 28, 2013
Sileby
Welfare rights came out and helped me fill in dads forms.

He told me that the secret to success is the time required to do each task.

He said 20 mins was the tipping point when it comes to either needing or not needing help. So to choose 20 mins for each task rather than 15 mins 10 mins.

So basically how long does it take to go toilet? 20 mins
How long does it take to dress? 20 mins
How long does it take to do anything? 20mins +

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori_75