Witnessing distress

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Today is a lovely sunny day in Glasgow. In the afternoon I heard cries for help and rushed to the door. We have a grassy bank beyond our fence and an elderly lady with white hair and very smartly dressed was lying there kicking and yelling. I have read enough on this forum to recognise what I was looking at - two carers from the local mental hospital were holding her down and a third was phoning for an ambulance. When it came a further two medics had to help until finally they got her calm enough to enter the ambulance.

Somebody's mother needing 5 people to deal with her just to have a walk on a sunny afternoon.

I then reflected on the costs of this disease in money, personnel and family distress. We need a big push on how we handle the practicalities and research on this.

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
We need a big push on how we handle the practicalities and research on this.

Marionq, you are so right, there are many examples on here that would give researchers information and experiences that would help them but I'm not at all sure that they are listening, shame!

Dave K

Account Closed
Apr 14, 2014
Barnsley (UK)
Pity that the same amount of money is not spent on AD as it is on a Saturday night in pub towns which also use up a lot of resources and manpower to get drunks home or to hospital or to a police cell to sober up then be let out in the morning with a caution

The amount of Government money being spent on AD is embarrassing when the UK gives nations that are nuclear capable, have a space program when only a fraction is spent at home looking for a cure or care for UK AD suffers or carers

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
The amount of Government money being spent on AD is embarrassing when the UK gives nations that are nuclear capable, have a space program when only a fraction is spent at home looking for a cure or care for UK AD suffers or carers

It's also only a fraction of the money that is lost through tax avoidance loopholes.

Start at the top.