having fits

scooby

Dec 7, 2004
hi
can you tell me if having a sezure is anything to do wuth AD cause we have been told that they cant understand why

susan

Aug 18, 2003
east sussex
Dear Scooby
I think that the what is happening could well be attached to AD - can your CPN or GP help here? My dad has for many years had what we could say were mini strokes - his blood pressure drops rapidly as does his pulse - he goes grey and is totally unresponsive. These happen on a regular basis, but 3 years ago they were big now they seem to last a shorter time. It is all connected to the mal function of the brain - this is simply way AD is - a break down of connections.
Hope this helps Sue

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Scooby

can you explain what happens when the seizure occurs?

i.e. is it a collapse, is it a gazing into the distance thing, is there shaking?

Lulu

Nov 28, 2004
Hello Scooby

Being a new member, I am still trying to find my way around the site. In spare moments I have been reading as many previous 'threads' as possible, and can tell you that I have both laughed and cried whilst reading them. I begin to realise that Mum and I, as well as the rest of the family, may well be on a very long journey with you all-and that the diagnosis which I was so hoping they had got wrong, is indeed the right one.

But I have just found a recent post from you which immediately held my interest. I believe that my Mum's problems stem from one day 6 years ago. She had been spending the day with us when she had a 'funny turn'. This, we were told by Dad, had happened before. It was strange enough for me to write to her GP about it, to inform him of what had happened ( I knew my parents wouodn't wish to make a fuss), and although she was sent to see a Consultant Neurologist, no definite cause was ever found as far as I am aware (although they said it could have been parkinson's or a benign essential tremor). Mum had begun to have a head tremor, especially under stress). I would have put it down to 'just one of those things' had it not been for the fact that since that day, Mum was never quite the same again -though I couldn't have said what it was that was different about her. Gradually, I began to realise that her memory wasn't too good, but assumed this was the ageing process.
I have seen other notes about this, and it seems to be quite a coincidence that others have had this experience. I know that Mum's Consultant at the Memory Clinic became interested in this 'event', trying to pin me down as to whether or not it was more of a faint or perhaps a seizure. Of the two, I would say (in retrospect) that it was more of a seizure. I don't think there was any loss of consciousness. She knew it was going to happen, as she warned us it was 'happening again', by which time her legs were buckling from under her. We supported her, her head dropped back, eyes up, her breathing slow and very shallow.

I believe now that this was the moment when all her problems began.

I

scooby

Dec 7, 2004
hi
thanks for the messages regarding my sister with the sezures she just goes down and then comes out of it.
the last time that she had a bad one was in feb she had one while coming down stairs and the result was a cut above the eye and a broken arm.ironically since then she has got worst
thanks for your reply Lulu in a silly way it is comforting to know somebody esle is having or near as it can be the same sort of problems.

John Bottomley

Apr 7, 2004
Drugs

It's worth remembering that 'major tranquilliser' drugs used to help people with behavioural disturbance or distress have side effects. A side effect that they all have is that they make people more likely to have fits. Worth just checking that all's well with any tablets taken!