Breast cancer treatment for advanced Alzheimer's mother

gerry200

Jan 19, 2014
Cumbria
Hi! I posted this a while ago and just thought I'd update. Unfortunately, 4 weeks ago my mother 'went off her legs' and suddenly became nearly bedridden through gout and cellulitis but despite this setback she is currently in hospital having had the mastectomy and lymph node removal yesterday. The lump was really enormous and this should make things easier for her for some time. Everything went very well, she is fine and has been up and about and seems to be having a whale of a time being the centre of attention! It's early days yet, but there have been no problems and the staff have just been amazing with her. They said she could even be discharged today, but I didn't feel I could cope with her at home whilst she had the drain in as I'm worried she will pull it out. Besides which, after the last 4 weeks I'm a wreck and need a few days to gather my strength!

So, many thanks for all your really helpful advice/thoughts and support and for taking the time to help me out.

Gerry xx

MReader

Apr 30, 2011
essex
My husband has prostate cancer which is now going into his bones - as well as mixed dementia which is progressing quite quickly.

His oncologist wants him to have more hormone therapy (he has already had one lot & radio therapy - both of which failed) but referred him back to our GP - saying that he (the oncologist) only looks at the situation from a cancer point of view whereas our GP will take an overview.

Sure enough our GP has written back to the oncologist to say he does not think that, given Malcolm's past medical history (severe angina attacks & a stroke which caused the dementia) that hormone therapy is an option.

My husband does not want any treatment - he says he has been 'mucked about with' too much already - & I agree with him.

So our thoughts are to let nature take its course - but this is only our opinion.

Speak to the Macmillan help line (I found them very helpful) & also your GP - they will both help you make an informed decision.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
So pleased that this has worked out for you both - glad you let us know. Get some rest yourself and I hope your mother's recuperation continues to go well.