Care home - what to take

CJW

Sep 22, 2013
Regarding clothes, I raided M &S for easy to get on and cheap sweatshirt type material trousers, cotton tops and polar wool jackets. These dolled up with snazzy scarves and a bit of jewellry look quite smart and are comfortable and colouful and can withstand regular washing and are easy and inexpensive to replace when they look a bit tired. Mum also has some smart clothes for special occasions but cant be bothered with them most of the time. I planned to move her furniture in, but she likes the room the way it is. I did take in cushions from her house and photos, the odd ornament, a couple of pictures and a mirror, but she does not recognise any of these as being hers. Unless you have come clean about the move being permanent I think it is probably better to just take in a few bits and pieces!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Can't remember who mentioned that they keep a reed diffuser in their husband's room in a care home? I was given one for Christmas, and I thought they were lovely. Until I came accross a story on FB about injuries caused to a cat by the liquid in a reed diffuser that it knocked over. I'm quite skeptical about internet stories, so looked it up, thinking it was a hoax - but it wasn't. Whatever is in some of these diffusers (though I'm sure they are not all the same), is quite dangerous. http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/reeddiffuser.asp

Mother's room isn't very big, and there's just her one big comfy chair, so I've taken in a folding garden armchair which slides away under her bed but is comfy for me to sit on when we're in her room, rather than perching on the bed. (I quite fancy getting one of those Director's Chairs, even more comfy, but haven't found one at a sensible price!)

How does anyone label socks? I got her a couple of pretty pairs from M&S which we never saw after the first wearing. I check her cupboards every now and then and hand back to the staff the things which aren't hers, and remind them about one missing cardigan (I suspect it may have gone home with someone who left or a respite guest - we haven't seen it for weeks). It's just a fact of life that clothes will wander.

Mother's home welcomes people bringing their own furniture except beds: they supply these so as to be sure they can get a hoist under it if it comes to be needed. They have attics-full of spare furniture, and we were lucky enough that there was a lovely set of furniture left by a previous resident which go much better in her room than anything she'd got at home (compact, light-coloured, making good use of space in a smallish room). We got her a 19" TV with DVD player: she can't understand what a DVD is, or how to work it, but if she's getting upset the staff can put on a DVD of "Coast" or "Life on Earth" and she's happy.

But as long as she's got her diary in her handbag she's fine. Pray that a certain highstreet stationers keeps on selling the small silver-grey with-a-pencil diary that she always uses, year by year, because if I had to get one another colour she'd not be able to cope. And mint polos - she complained the other day that she hadn't got any, and there were only 9 packets of them in her drawer. Ah well.

Last edited:

Welsh Colleen

Mar 23, 2009
Wales
Just a quick question, slightly off topic. If someone goes into a CH for respite for a couple of weeks, I'm assuming that their laundry is done, thereby needing everything to have nametapes, or do you bring them home to was when visiting?

When my husband goes for respite, I have done both. They will do it for you, but the first time we lost several items :(. The next time we only lost one thing. After that I brought it home to do.
He's in a different home at present :) so I'm leaving it to them, and I'll see what happens.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
labelling socks

You can either write on them with indelible marker, across the foot, or sew on nametapes:

Take two cotton name tapes, preferably uncut but you can sew one to the other if not. Turn them to the reverse. Sew the cut ends together so that you have a double-sided tape. Turn the tapes the right way out again with the name showing.

Sew the narrow end of this tab to the sock at a point near the top of the leg, catching it to the sock with half a dozen stitches. It will stick out but shouldn't be affected by stretching the sock as it is only caught in one small place.

Ding Dong

May 1, 2013
My advice is to label everything with sew-in labels giving name and room number, then at least you have a chance of getting them back. I find things in mum’s room, but no name on them and I do not know who to give them back to. Label all non fabric things with permanent marker in big letters on the back - hair brush, CD’s, toiletries. Pictures have even been removed from the wall so mark them as well!

Mum has been in care for nearly 5 years. Over the years we have lost: her wedding ring (I took the engagement ring home and she never asks for it); spectacles; a biscuit barrel (the lid was left behind!); a large cuddly toy; 2 cushions; a waste paper bin; a pair of outdoor shoes; several pairs of knickers; a pair of slippers; several CDs; several hairbrushes and toothbrushes; an armchair!!!; silk flowers (twice), numerous pieces from jigsaws (usually the red bits!)

Often things disappear and resurface weeks later. A handbag (only a few pounds in it) resurfaced when someone died 2 years later!

When I am visiting, old ladies often come into mum’s room and either pick up things of mum’s, or leave things they have taken from elsewhere. Some relatives get cross, but the residents are like little children who pick up anything that takes their fancy, and wander round with it, and put it down where ever they are when they tire of carrying it.

Some things have never reappeared and you have to wonder if it is bank staff or relatives e.g. mum’s wedding ring.

When the laundry comes back, I often find things in mum’s wardrobe which do not belong to her and mum always wants to keep them! So I check every time I visit and try to keep a mental note of what is missing and ask staff to look out for it. When I buy new things I tend to buy duplicates e.g. 3 identical winter nighties. Staff then get used to the idea that the “blue spotty nighties” belong to Muriel. I always buy the same slippers (washable because of incontinence) and now label them on the front outside after regularly finding mum wearing slippers too big or too small. I don’t blame the staff, they are so busy and so patient, and have numerous people to dress and re-dress after accidents. If the slippers were under her bed and she always claims they are hers! what are they supposed to do?

Socks and knickers – sew label going down, not across so they will still stretch. Sewing on the outside of the sock is more comfortable.

Air freshener – but a solid type and stand it on the wardrobe at the back so no one can reach it.

Floor rugs are not allowed because they are a tripping hazard. But some people have put up their own curtains to make the room familiar.

It's best to accept that things will disappear and it could be your mum picking up things in other rooms. Hope this helps

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
I was advised to label all my aunts socks with a bit of ribbon with her name written on. I sew them on the outside, and they look quite pretty. Also staff know all the socks with that color ribbon belong to auntie.