Neighbours and flowers

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
We have a lovely lady from Denmark living in our cul de sac, a neighbour died and she was arranging a collection to buy the husband some "comfort flowers" and a wreath for the funeral.

Another neighbour told her "it's not our tradition here to buy comfort flowers" and told her she shouldn't do it. I thought it was a lovely idea and wished the second neighbour had kept her trap shut. Nothing I can do about it, just wanted a little moan.

Do others like the idea of comfort flowers for the bereaved?

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
We have a lovely lady from Denmark living in our cul de sac, a neighbour died and she was arranging a collection to buy the husband some "comfort flowers" and a wreath for the funeral.

Another neighbour told her "it's not our tradition here to buy comfort flowers" and told her she shouldn't do it. I thought it was a lovely idea and wished the second neighbour had kept her trap shut. Nothing I can do about it, just wanted a little moan.

Do others like the idea of comfort flowers for the bereaved?

Yes, I think they can bring great comfort when words are insufficient.

Herbaltea

Jul 23, 2012
This is something that used to be done by neighbours if someone passed when I was a girl. I lived in a close knit community in the North of England and it was a lovely idea. I was bought flowers years ago when my own father died, they were for me, comfort flowers and to let me know that people were thinking of me. Sometimes, this is all anyone can do. What a shame you kind neighbour was stopped doing this.

Not so Rosy

Nov 30, 2013
I think it is a lovely gesture. The day after my husbands funeral I received quite a few bouquets, I found it hugely thoughtful and comforting.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I always buy flowers when someone loses a close member of the family.
I see it as just an act of kindness and token of sympathy.
How unpleasant of that other neighbour to take the attitude she did.
I hope nobody buys her flowers!
There's alway one!
I do hope that the Danish lady was not too offended.

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Comfort flowers sound such a lovely kind gesture. When I lost Dad, the funeral.directors suggested that I had his flowers done as a spray so I could have them afterwards. I couldn't believe the comfort I drew from them.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
It's a lovely idea but I have heard that a neighbour of a friend who was bereaved took her a casserole every Friday night for two months. What a lovely thing to do.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
It was always a tradition in communities in Scotland to have a neighbours wreath but things are changing all over and it may not be so common now.

beech mount

Sep 1, 2008
Manchester
It was always a tradition in the Manchester area where i come from for the street to have a collection to be given to the family and on the day of the funeral all the houses on the street would have there curtains closed. All gone now.....
John.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Yes I like the idea of comfort flowers (for any occasion) but not so happy at a request by a neighbour for a collection for them. Surely each person or family decide for themselves what sort of comfort they want to pass to the bereaved person.

Its how it done. If the neighbour had said I am sending some flowers, does anyone want to joint me? If no one replies then neighbour should do it themselves.