Who else do we need to inform?

tealover

Sep 8, 2011
thank you so much for all your very insightful replies.

I went to work shortly after posting, this is the first time I've had to check, and you have given me lots to think about as well as action!!

Thank you again
x

Neph

Jan 27, 2014
I think you only lose AA if you end up on CHC, as for the council, I appear to have been lucky with mine, but it might have helped as I explained to them that due to my mum's condition I had to take her out of the area, they were really good about it, didn't pay a penny for the eighteen months it was empty.

cf1611

Apr 16, 2014
Council Tax - you might get a rebate/reduction in payments as no-one is actually living there. Also, let your your local community Police Officer know the house isn't technically occupied, they'll keep an eye open.

If the person has to go into full time care due to dementia council tax should not be charged on the empty property. When this happened to my mother I read this information by chance on a dementia web site (cant remember where) I contacted the local authority, and we were given a rebate from the date that she went into the nursing home.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
i am currently living in my mother's home, but have a home of my own. She has moved to a care home but I have to be close by, as she needs a lot of one to one. But presumably I have to pay council tax for mum's home too? I had got her the dementia exemption but it was just before she went into care.

cf1611

Apr 16, 2014
i am currently living in my mother's home, but have a home of my own. She has moved to a care home but I have to be close by, as she needs a lot of one to one. But presumably I have to pay council tax for mum's home too? I had got her the dementia exemption but it was just before she went into care.

I suspect that if you are actually living in your mother's house you would be considered as a tenant and would have to pay the council tax.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Yes, I keep putting off contacting the council tax people, but I suppose I had better do so...