Prolapse

jelli

Apr 28, 2012
My Mum who is in later stage Alzheimer's, and is in a good care home, had a prolapse a few days ago. She's not yet seen a gynaecologist but does anyone have experience of a loved one with this condition and the treatment to follow? We don't know what her options are yet, given that she has dementia, but surgery is a possibility. She doesn't seem to be in pain, but feels the discomfort and won'wear underwear as a result. How do I support her through this?

jelli x

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
It is possible a ring could be fitted which would not need surgery. I would feel surgery would be the last option to be honest.

Jeannette

laineyb

Feb 3, 2009
northamptonshire
I had a rectal prolapse aged 45 ( I don't have AD my mum does) I had surgery as it was quite severe prolapse (grade 3) I was relieved to get it done as it made such a difference afterwards although it was very painful afterwards and I ended up with infection as well, if there were other treatments available I would probably have tried them, is your mum very elderly as I know some hospitals do operation with a spinal block and a light sedative in my case I was in hospital for 5 days then had to rest/take it easy for I think at least 7-14 days, hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Even with a spinal block to lessen post operative confusion I'd be worried about any dressings and catheter being fiddled with and pulled out.

Pessaries don't work if the prolapse is not far enough in.

Whilst waiting for the consultation I would ensure that she is given plenty of fluids and maybe a mild laxative to prevent straining and/or constipation caused by any kink. constipation can increase confusion. Ask the GP for specific advice.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
My Mum too has a vaginal prolapse. She was having a ring pessary changed every 4 months but, since she is no longer mobile, the nurse decided it was causing her more discomfort and distress doing this so she left it out. She is now bedbound but previously was mainly sitting in an armchair all day, only getting up to use the commode.

However, if your mother is feeling discomfort, would the ring pessary idea work for her do you think? It depends how she responds to the intrusion and some pain that this causes (or, at least, it did my mother). I think an operation would be ruled out at this late stage and she may not respond well to anaesthetic.

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
My mother had a pessary for several years due to bladder prolapse. It must be taken out every few months for cleaning, which is a bit intense, though quick. My mother no longer wanted to go through this (age 84 with dementia) and so it was taken out. She's been okay since then (a few months).

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Having had prolapse surgery 11 yrs ago, I would think it would be near on impossible for someone with dementia to cope with. The surgery, let alone the recovery.
A pessary would be the best bet, but only if your mother is agreeable to it being fitted and changed? Depending on the type of prolapse it can also impact on toileting.