Am I being too sensitive.

Ashburton

Feb 19, 2007
I have just logged onto a betting site on line and viewed the following on there homepage? Am I being too sensitive, I am absolutely fuming, would they use an illness like Cancer in this way? Below is the extract

Although England's chances of winning the Rugby World Cup are quite slim, there is a geriatric from London who believes they can successfully defend their title. He might be somewhat deluded and possibly suffering from the early stages of Alzheimer's, but Lawrence Dallaglio is confident England will perform in the World Cup. Propped up by his creaky Zimmer frame, the number 8 said, "When I turned up in the England squad for the first time in a while I was pleasantly surprised by the faces that I saw in the room. I looked around and saw Jonny Wilkinson there and thought 'you've always got a chance with him in the team'." Can England top Pool A @ 12/5?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
No I don`t think you are being too sensitive, but unfortunately there are far too many people who are only sensitive to illnesses and conditions they have personal experience of.

Ashburton

Feb 19, 2007
But they wouldn't make reference to say someone going bald and link it to cancer on there website, there would be an uproar.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
No but jokes are made about people who are deaf, who have stammers, who have Tourettes, and maybe not baldness, but certainly about men who wear wigs.

Ashburton

Feb 19, 2007
Grannie G said:
No but jokes are made about people who are deaf, who have stammers, who have Tourettes, and maybe not baldness, but certainly about men who wear wigs.

But people don't die from a stammer or deafness, as we all know AD is a cruel cruel illness, I'm sorry but there is no comparison, in my opinion it just sums up how AD is treated? .

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
I think that at times people take refuge in humour be it ill placed or not to help them through senstive times and take away the pain. It maybe at times seems insensitive but it is not done with any intent to hurt.

Ashburton

Feb 19, 2007
Mameeskye said:
I think that at times people take refuge in humour be it ill placed or not to help them through senstive times and take away the pain. It maybe at times seems insensitive but it is not done with any intent to hurt.

I know, but for a huge corporation like this one is, I think if they made a reference to cancer in this way there would be uproar, but the thing is they never would make a reference to it, I could be wrong but my experience since my mum has been diagnosed with AD is that it is an illness that is totally not on the radar when it comes to fighting it or even with regards charities.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Have you complained to the organization? I would if I felt so strongly.

It is all relatve isn`t it. You are understandably very upset at this lack of respect and sensitivity to Alzheimers.

Although you don`t die from the impairments I mentioned previously, it is still very hurtful to those suffering them, when they are considered a joke.

Take care.

Love xx

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Extremely poor taste to say the least. I guess it is a symptom of the general ignorance about the devastating effects of Alzheimers, most people think it is merely being "a bit forgetful" or "eccentric" and have no idea, no idea at all.

As you say, no one would make "funny" references to cancer, multiple sclerosis or something like that.

Only the other day a "celeb" said on TV "Maybe I got Alzheimers, that's where like old people forget stuff, innit". It made my blood boil.

But at least the TV host had the decency to look horrified and embarassed and said "um, err, I don;t think that's anything to joke about" before moving things along.

Ashburton

Feb 19, 2007
As you say, no one would make "funny" references to cancer, multiple sclerosis or something like that.

Only the other day a "celeb" said on TV "Maybe I got Alzheimers, that's where like old people forget stuff, innit". It made my blood boil.

Spot on.

I have complained to the company via there website and it has been passed on, that said the piece is still on the front page of there website.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Quite. I bet they wouldn't write something like "and the No. 8 had scored so few goals this month we reckon he might be in the terminal stages of leukemia, ho ho"

They wouldn't dare replace "Alzheimers" with "brain tumour".

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Ashburton, I get very sensitive to what I see as inappropriate humour .... and agree with everyone else's comments so far ....

Just to add, I found it interesting that the word 'geriatric' was used in the same sentence .... clearly shows the ignorance of the writer ...... as we all too sadly know from TP this is not just a disease which affects the very elderly ....

I think you're right to complain ... every voice that is raised in whichever way to whichever audience is a means of raising awareness at some level ......

Much love, Karen, x

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Ashburtion,

I once was very senstive but now these passing comments just don't seem to upset me. When people say "I must be getting alzheimer's", I just say there is a place in dad home if you need it - just to nip it in the bud more than anything.

It's only when references are agressive or personal or particularly ignorant about the condition that I pipe up and correct people.

Humour is also a strange thing - I got my first pavarotti joke email this morning and it just made me think how strangly we all deal with the worlds problems.

I don't think this kind of thing is worth getting really angry about. No harm in nipping it in the bud though.

Kind regards
Craig

dave b

Nov 21, 2006
staffs
sorry, but lighen up everybody!
we all know our problems,humour helps
it's hard to take from from the outside
but if someone at work had the said it & knew ? you would you be upset?
it keeps me going( keeps the black dog away)

jc141265

Sep 16, 2005
Australia
Reminds me of recent accounting lecture I attended where the books and methods of a mental health care unit was being looked at...the lecturer kept making jokes about the looneys...then at one stage he said, gee I hope their isn't anyone here who might take offense.

I just piped up with a laugh and said well actually my Dad is completely bonkers and when you live with it, it's not real funny.

Oh I did delight in him blanching!:p I didnt really care about what he was saying, like Craig I guess I've gotten beyond that. But I do care for the people that can still be hurt by such unthought out comments..

So I have taken it upon myself to be the champion for those people who just suffer in silence and have gotten quite good at a few quiet calm responses that make the perpetrators of ignorance think twice about what they will say next time. You can't really get angry about it, because they just dont understand, but seeing as they are inconsiderate enough to say these things I figure I have every right to be mean right back and make them squirm too...hehehe

Every time I do it I take some pleasure from the thought that I may have just educated someone...and as usually these people have an audience, I get the opportunity to educate more than one person.

Like Dave, I do understand that its just humour and people do it to cope with the bad stuff. But there are other ways to cope and if someone else is getting hurt by it then it is time to shut up.

Ashburton

Feb 19, 2007
dave b said:
it's hard to take from from the outside
but if someone at work had the said it & knew ? you would you be upset?
it keeps me going( keeps the black dog away)

Lighten up????:mad: Sorry not everyone is going to deal with a loved one who has ad in the same way. Again I ask would they use CANCER in the same way, NO they would not!or you will not see the site saying, oh the England forwards look a very lightweight and slow, they must be suffering from HIV.

Sorry but I feel very strongly about this, it is not appropriate or has any relevance on a betting site.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
dave b said:

Sorry Dave, but I'm with Ashburton here. Let's not use emotive expressions when someone feels strongly about something.

Yes, humour helps, and many of us post the strange things our loved ones do, and the rest of us have a laugh. But it's always a sympathetic laugh, because we're most of us living with the disease, and know that the funny moments are more than balanced by the difficult, even tragic ones.

It's another thing altogether for people who have no knowledge or experience of Alzheimer's to mock the sufferers. I'd hit the roof if an outsider poked fun at John, though we do tease him from within the family.