Who else do we need to inform?

tealover

Sep 8, 2011
Morning

Hope some of you have sunshine and not the dreadful rain that hasn't stopped so far this morning!

Anyway.....Mum went from Assessment Unit to 24hr residential care. I've informed her GP practice, and her house insurance. We are still going to the house, and therefore we haven't stopped the services. We are not in a rush to have to empty it.

However, I rang her insurance yesterday and they have said that when renewal time comes in November we will have to find somebody new to insure with. Are there insurers that any of you can recommend.

Whom else do I need to notify. As you may know I am trying to get forms completed to apply for deputyship so it isn't in a formal capacity but it is just from a need to know position.

Many thanks
x

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
You will struggle to get insurance for an empty house. Could you rent it out through a management company?

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I managed to get insurance for my Mum's empty house via a broker named on ( I think Age UK's site) internet. They were very helpful. If you wish I can pm you with the name.:)

tealover

Sep 8, 2011
I managed to get insurance for my Mum's empty house via a broker named on ( I think Age UK's site) internet. They were very helpful. If you wish I can pm you with the name.:)

cragmaid that would be wonderful, thank you x

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Whom else do I need to notify."

Electoral Roll - can be useful for any identity checking.

TV licencing - if not age exempt she can get a partial refund.
Note if the Care Home haven't paid for an ARC Licence then TV Licensing may ask for £7.50/pa if she uses a TV.

>>>TV LICENSING<<<

Last edited:

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
I'll check with OH. He informed his mum's insurance company that her house was empty and they just noted this and advised us to turn off the gas and water while simultaneously leaving the heating on over the winter. :confused: We were also asked to check the property daily.

We left the services on because we were in and out decorating, plus the heating needed to be on. Once the house was ready for selling it seemed best to leave services on so people could check that it was all working. The estate agent appreciated the heating being on as this was reassuring to viewers and made the house cosy and welcoming. A sale is in progress so we'll only cancel services when contracts are exchanged.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...Re-direction of mail too......"

I considered that but as OP stated they were still visiting the house thought mail still going to house was better than Care Home. Having said that one condition on an empty house I had to insure was that the letter box was blocked off, insurance does not appear to be a problem till November.

Neph

Jan 27, 2014
Council - as you shouldn't have to pay council tax as the house is empty.

Tatiana

Feb 23, 2014
Council Tax - you might get a rebate/reduction in payments as no-one is actually living there. Also, let your your local community Police Officer know the house isn't technically occupied, they'll keep an eye open.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...you shouldn't have to pay council tax as the house is empty..."

Depends on the generosity of the LA.

"Empty properties
You’ll have to pay Council Tax on an empty and unfurnished home, but you may qualify for a discount. It’s up to your council to decide whether you get a discount and how much you get."

>>>GOV.UK<<<

To make matters worse if the occupier was a sole occupant and registered for SMI they would have been disregarded and no tax would have been payable. As an empty property the disregard does not exist and full tax can be demanded by the LA.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
"...To make matters worse if the occupier was a sole occupant and registered for SMI they would have been disregarded and no tax would have been payable. As an empty property the disregard does not exist and full tax can be demanded by the LA.

I nearly fell for that one the council told me as my Mother's house was empty she would have to pay 100% council tax, not the 75% a single occupant would nor indeed the zero% my Mother was paying but the full lot. That along with it being virtually uninsurable made my sell it as quickly as I could.
K

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"I nearly fell for that one..."

The one not to fall for is 'unoccupied and unfurnished for 2 years'.
The percentage charge is 150% - a 50% increase for withholding housing stock.

ITBookworm

Oct 26, 2011
Glasgow
The one not to fall for is 'unoccupied and unfurnished for 2 years'.
The percentage charge is 150% - a 50% increase for withholding housing stock.

That one varies by council too :eek::eek::eek: We got 6 months of zero rate when FIL's was unoccupied and unfurnished and then it went to 200% (yes I did mean to write two hundred!!!)

When we complained we did get a slight reduction as long as we could prove it was currently for sale but even then :eek:

I do remember seeing something about a house being either zero rated or reduced rate if the owner/occupier was in a residential home. That might be worth checking.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If she is getting any benefits, Attendance Allowance, what have you, the powers to be that pay them need to be informed as she might probably lose them if in a home.

jawuk

Jan 29, 2014
Lutterworth, Leicestershire
"...you shouldn't have to pay council tax as the house is empty..."

Depends on the generosity of the LA.

"Empty properties
You’ll have to pay Council Tax on an empty and unfurnished home, but you may qualify for a discount. It’s up to your council to decide whether you get a discount and how much you get."

>>>GOV.UK<<<

To make matters worse if the occupier was a sole occupant and registered for SMI they would have been disregarded and no tax would have been payable. As an empty property the disregard does not exist and full tax can be demanded by the LA.

I googled SMI and got nothing helpful - would you explain this acronym please?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"I googled SMI and got nothing helpful - would you explain this acronym please?"

If the person you're looking after is severely mentally impaired, they will be 'ignored' for Council Tax purposes. This can mean that you or they are entitled to a discount on your Council Tax bill if, once they are ignored, there is only one person or no one living in the home who is counted for Council Tax purposes.
If there's only one adult living in the home or, because certain people have been ignored only one person is counted as living in the home, a 25% discount will be made. If there are no adults living in the home, or because certain people have been ignored no one is counted as living in the home, a 50% discount will be made.
Severe mental impairment
A person is considered severely mentally impaired if they have a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning and this impairment appears to be permanent. This might be, for instance, because they have a condition such as Alzheimer’s disease, have had a stroke, or have severe learning difficulties. To qualify for the discount they will need a certificate from a registered medical practitioner confirming this.
They must also be entitled to one of a number of specified benefits which include:
• Disability Living Allowance (at the middle or highest rate of the care component)
• Attendance Allowance
• Constant Attendance Allowance
• Severe Disablement Allowance
• Incapacity Benefit
• Income Support or Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance where a disability premium is included
• Employment and Support Allowance
• An increase in disablement pension for constant attendance
• The disability element of Working Tax Credit
• Unemployability supplement
• Unemployability allowance
If you live with the person you care for and they satisfy the rules above and you satisfy the rules to be a carer for Council Tax purposes, then both you and the person you care for can be ignored.

Scroll down >>>HERE<<<

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
If she is getting any benefits, Attendance Allowance, what have you, the powers to be that pay them need to be informed as she might probably lose them if in a home.

I think these are only stopped if someone is funded by the local authority.