In despair!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
You were on the right track regarding the snail slime. It turns out that frogs legs and snails are rich in mucin. Frog skins also contain antimicrobial compounds but in this case the skinned legs are intended to be boiled down to a pulp then strained slowly to remove any solids, leaving a smooth thick gelatinous broth that will heal the mouth and throat by recoating inflamed parts with soothing slime. Yum!!! :eek:
http://chestofbooks.com/health/nutrition/Medicinal-Meals/Frog.html#.U4DaQY41jML

I think honey and lemon sounds better!!:D

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Given a choice

I'd suck lemons rather than slimy frog.... Yurckkkk

next recipe that makes your mind boggle...

Soup for an invalid

Toast bread on an open fire until burnt brown

Place toast in a dish and Pour hot water on toast

Leave to seep overnight by the fire

Remove toast

Serve the nourishing liquid to your invalid

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
You'd wonder, wouldn't you, when we became so persnickity about what we'll eat? This book is full of things like how to prepare and cook tongues (of various animals), palettes, udders, heads, - and all the economical meals you can make from these parts. You can't even buy these bits now, mostly - you can still buy beef tongues, brains and heart, but I've never (thankfully) seen udders for sale! Nor sheeps' heads. You will still occasionally here, in craft butchers, find pig's heads, usually half ones. Yuk.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Pigs cheeks were a delicacy weren't they and used for brawn, which is something else I couldn't bring my to eat along with sweetbreads!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Pigs cheeks were a delicacy weren't they and used for brawn, which is something else I couldn't bring my to eat along with sweetbreads!

Yes. I remember on one of the "Farm" series - Victorian Farm I think, Ruth Goodman preparing brawn, and putting the eyeballs in whole, as they were regarded as a delicacy. And as she pointed out, these bits - eyes, lips, tongues etc. are still eaten - they are hidden in things like sausages etc.!

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I love tongue....one of my favourite cooked meats. I remember Mum making Brawn when we were younger, and I do remember that it was tasty ( and hard work!)

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Have just caught up after a couple of days away for granddaughter's wedding and an sorry to hear that you are still having such a bad time. Your recipes sound delicious, perhaps kill or cure? Who can I try them on?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Talking Point mobile app

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
You'd wonder, wouldn't you, when we became so persnickity about what we'll eat? This book is full of things like how to prepare and cook tongues (of various animals), palettes, udders, heads, - and all the economical meals you can make from these parts. You can't even buy these bits now, mostly - you can still buy beef tongues, brains and heart, but I've never (thankfully) seen udders for sale! Nor sheeps' heads. You will still occasionally here, in craft butchers, find pig's heads, usually half ones. Yuk.

we had sheep's head on our table ........ with brain sauce ..... cheap and nuitritious

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
we had sheep's head on our table ........ with brain sauce ..... cheap and nuitritious

:)Hello Butter - glad to see you are still floating around! I'm sure it is nutritious and cheap - but barforama!! I'm not great at meat at all - always have this mental vision of "this is a chunk of a cow that's been dead for almost a month." Yuk.

Today wasn't a great day - in the end (well, in the middle I suppose!) I took William out for lunch, as I couldn't stand it any longer - nor had I any hope of getting anything cooked! He just plagued me all day, hovering at my elbow, going "Please. Tell me. Tell me. Tell me. Tell me." etc. and nothing I tried could elicit what it was that he wanted. I'd go "William is there something you want?" and he'd go "Yes." and I'd go "What is it that you want?" and he'd go "Yes" and I'd go "Can you tell me what you want?" and he'd go something along the lines of "Moka-toka-toka-toka-toka-toka-toka-toka....." until I stopped him! Then he'd start the "Please tell me. Tell me. Tell me" all over again, and pulling my hand to bring me to the other room - but when we got there, he just stood in the middle of the room. He didn't actually want anything in there. I think it was just that in the kitchen, I was trying to do things like wash dishes and wipe down the countertops, and he didn't want my attention on anything else besides him. I thought I would go completely insane!! Add to this the fact that I've had a nagging migraine coupled with a crippling spasm in my shoulder muscle (often goes with the migraine) since last Monday or Tuesday - I've taken more pain killers and the prescription meds than are good for me, and they do subdue it for a while, then they wear off, and the sodding migraine is still there!! I think it's the shoulder muscle that starts the headache - it's a bit damaged from years ago, and that's the side that William holds my hand on. Today when we were out, I didn't let him. I just kept looking to make sure he was still behind me. Sigh!! Maybe tomorrow I'll wake up and the pain will be gone and everything will look much better.

PS. Sorry for whinging!

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
I hope you are feeling MUCH better today LadyA! I have such admiration for your tenacity and I just hope when we reach the point I shall be able to drum up your level of patience. Right now my husband has just woken up and is already demanding my attention. He absolutely hates that I write on here and does anything he can to interrupt me. I am already finding extra strength from hearing how others cope and indeed what they are coping with! Thank you all. X:)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Today is one of my mornings at work! Two mornings a week, 2 1/4 hours each of the mornings. Home care, but in reality, Cleaning mostly. Love it! Not least because it gets me out of here! Paying for private care while I'm out costs way more than I earn,but worth it at the moment!

Sent from my C1905 using Talking Point mobile app

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I hope you are feeling MUCH better today LadyA! I have such admiration for your tenacity and I just hope when we reach the point I shall be able to drum up your level of patience. Right now my husband has just woken up and is already demanding my attention. He absolutely hates that I write on here and does anything he can to interrupt me. I am already finding extra strength from hearing how others cope and indeed what they are coping with! Thank you all. X:)

Yes - I know what you mean, about the interruptions. William also hates me being on the computer. Now it's just that he wants all my attention - it used to be that he thought there were "people" in the computer that could, from the computer, steal things from the shelves and cupboards in the house! Everything he would hide something and then not remember where he had put it, he thought "they" had taken it back into the computer......
That's why I got myself finally, a smartphone. I sit beside him in my own armchair, and he has no idea what I'm doing!

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
I'm still addicted to the iPad as yet! My eyesight and dexterity are sadly not now up to the challenges of the iPhone. Graham is still using his, so it makes sense for now, except that he is perfectly well aware to whom I am writing and doesn't want my loving understanding going anywhere else. Perhaps at some level he feels there may not be enough to go round! He is peripherally still taking care of me as he sees it and thinks it is still "his job" I am sure. It is still early days and relatively manageable, so I am presently making the most of joining this lovely community of like-minded souls. Hope you are feeling more rested and peaceful today. Love X:)

winda

Oct 17, 2011
Nottinghamshire
My husband also demanded my constant attention LadyA, and it became very difficult to use my laptop. I'm glad you've managed to find your way round the problem.

Hope today is not too bad for you.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My husband also demanded my constant attention LadyA, and it became very difficult to use my laptop. I'm glad you've managed to find your way round the problem.

Hope today is not too bad for you.

Well, sometimes it's just necessary Winda. I need to the grocery shopping online, as he's not able to go all the way round the supermarket. In fact, shopping for just about everything is done online.

Eleonora

Dec 21, 2012
Abingdon Oxfordshire

Hello there all you seekers after weird and wonderful recipes. When I was a young bride, all of fifty-three years ago; I thought I'd impress my new husband's rural Devon relatives by making brawn as one of our gifts to them, on the occasion of our first visit to stay with them.

My mother, who had been a professional cook at a, 'Gentlemen's Club' in London, was used to making all the things that her gentlemen liked; including brawn.

So, having borrowed her recipe, I bought a half pig's head from our butcher, and soaked it, and trimmed all the bristles off, and then cooked the wretched thing for what seemed like hours.

I won't bore (boar perhaps?) you with all the details of the preparation of the meat, and the herbs and spices; and the filtering and clarifying of the jelly, with egg-white and eggshells. But in the end, I was left with two large basins of glistening pinkish brawn.

Off we went to Devon, where my brawn was given pride of place on an enormous floral meat plate, surrounded by hard boiled eggs, mustard and home-made redcurrant jelly.

The family Patriarch carved the brawn into generous slices, and served the assembled family, with me, swelling with pride to have impressed such capable farming folk with my culinary abilities.

Then someone took a mouthful. and there was a sharp crack.
"B****** H*** It's broken moi tooth!" Came the anguished cry.

Then, he spat out onto his plate, not only his own tooth, but also, an unmistakable blackened tooth belonging to the deceased pig. :eek:

I really thought I'd removed all the pigs teeth, before potting up.
Ah Well ...

winda

Oct 17, 2011
Nottinghamshire
Well, sometimes it's just necessary Winda. I need to the grocery shopping online, as he's not able to go all the way round the supermarket. In fact, shopping for just about everything is done online.

It was the same for me LadyA. I don't know how I would have managed without my laptop.