Thought she was moving!

Aprilbabe

Apr 17, 2014
Didn't have a good day with Mum yesterday - very argumentative towards me amongst other things. I went with her to an appointment and after taking her home, just had to come home myself just to get away (which I felt so guilty in doing, but oh hum)
Then, last night when I went to check on her and to give her her medication, I found she had packed a couple of plastic carrier bags with random things - I even found a jar of honey in her handbag :eek: - and when I asked her what the bags were for, she replied she was moving, having to get out of her flat because someone else wants it. I managed to calm her down and unpacked the bags. This is a new one on me!
The past week or so she has been asking where she is and where she is living. Wonder if this has anything to do with it? Has anyone else had anything like that or similar?
Any answers would be much appreciated.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Yes, is the simple answer. We have had several episodes of my husband getting up very early to go to work. He promised a man to work on his house so he must get his tools together and get there early. Husband is 81, retired in 1996, but worked in the building trade for 50 years so it has left its mark.

It took about an hour in the last episode to convince him that he need not work.. He is now retired "Some hopes " and "I wish" Were the responses. Later I asked him what he thought had happened. Had he been dreaming? He said partly dreaming and partly his mind was floating away from him. This is probably a good insight into how it feels. It is unnerving while it is going on though for all parties.

Anniewragby

Mar 20, 2013
Hi Aprilbabe,
I expect we ware not the only ones dealing with this! My Mum is constantly looking for the next place to live and packing random things into bags. She still does it now that she is in a care home as she believes that it is only a temporary place. I just wanted to advise you to look into door alarms sooner rather than later as my Mum soon started going out at all times of Day and night in her quest for somewhere else to live.Ours came through Telecare from social services and were great as i got calls when the door was opened and so could get someone there before Mum wandered too far.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Hi Aprilbabe. I had something similar with my mum where she kept saying I had moved out and left her suddenly. I hadn't lived with her for over ten years.

We had her checked and it turned out she had a UTI so might be worth getting the GP to check her urine just in case?

Of course dementia can be very unpredictable and this type of behaviour isn't unusual. I know in the early days of mum living in her care home she used to pack everything up every day!

Hope things settle soon x

Aprilbabe

Apr 17, 2014
Yes, is the simple answer. We have had several episodes of my husband getting up very early to go to work. He promised a man to work on his house so he must get his tools together and get there early. Husband is 81, retired in 1996, but worked in the building trade for 50 years so it has left its mark.

It took about an hour in the last episode to convince him that he need not work.. He is now retired "Some hopes " and "I wish" Were the responses. Later I asked him what he thought had happened. Had he been dreaming? He said partly dreaming and partly his mind was floating away from him. This is probably a good insight into how it feels. It is unnerving while it is going on though for all parties.

Marionq, thanks for your reply. It had crossed my mind that she may have had a nap and been dreaming but also could it have been that her mind was wandering?
Thanks again.

Aprilbabe

Apr 17, 2014
Hi Aprilbabe,
I expect we ware not the only ones dealing with this! My Mum is constantly looking for the next place to live and packing random things into bags. She still does it now that she is in a care home as she believes that it is only a temporary place. I just wanted to advise you to look into door alarms sooner rather than later as my Mum soon started going out at all times of Day and night in her quest for somewhere else to live.Ours came through Telecare from social services and were great as i got calls when the door was opened and so could get someone there before Mum wandered too far.

Thanks Anniewragby for your reply. I did wonder if this type of behaviour was all part of AD, so something to keep a check on. Will certainly look into putting in door alarms sooner rather than later as you say.
Thanks for your reply.

Aprilbabe

Apr 17, 2014
Hi Aprilbabe. I had something similar with my mum where she kept saying I had moved out and left her suddenly. I hadn't lived with her for over ten years.

We had her checked and it turned out she had a UTI so might be worth getting the GP to check her urine just in case?

Of course dementia can be very unpredictable and this type of behaviour isn't unusual. I know in the early days of mum living in her care home she used to pack everything up every day!

Hope things settle soon x

Hi Anongirl, thanks for your reply and I was interested to read what you say about a UTI. When I have read other posts, UTI's have been mentioned, so think I will make an appointment at the doctor's just to get her checked out.
Thanks for your reply.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Hi Anongirl, thanks for your reply and I was interested to read what you say about a UTI. When I have read other posts, UTI's have been mentioned, so think I will make an appointment at the doctor's just to get her checked out.
Thanks for your reply.

It just helps really to rule it out. After a couple of days of antibiotics she improved a lot.

Let us know x

Aprilbabe

Apr 17, 2014
It just helps really to rule it out. After a couple of days of antibiotics she improved a lot.

Let us know x

Hi to you all
I got mum to see a doctor yesterday and all ok with worries on the UTI front. In a way, pleased but given the week I have had with her, I was at the end of my tether and spoke to her SW, who was very concerned with the situation and I even had a CPN ring offering advice. The SW has spoken to the memory clinic where I take mum to try to hurry through her next appointment. This I will hopefully have confirmed to me next week. I now intend to question again with her doctor the medication, as I do not know if the Aricept needs to be reviewed or the Mirtazapine.
Let's hope things start to ease down as I feel absolutely drained again, but I know it won't last, another bad patch is just around the corner! :eek:

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya Aprilbabe,

It does sound like your mum is Sundowning. This is a very common thing for people with dementia but it is difficult to deal with and can and does stretch those who care for the person to their limits at times. Sundowning is a period of time during the day (use to be thought to be associated with the sun going down, hence the name, but can happen at any time) when a person becomes more confused and agitated. It can happen very quickly where they are fine one minute then all of a sudden not recognise where they are etc. An episode can last a few minutes or can last for hours and indeed the person doesn't sometimes return to their old self until the following day. As I said, it is common for the person not to recognise where they are. They can, like your mum, think they are in someone else's home and that they have to leave. What can also happen is for them to start talking about their parents and siblings and old neighbours that were around when they were a child. They can believe these people are still alive and will be worried about her being missing. They also talk about needing to go home - home being the childhood home and they can start packing to leave and in some instances this can lead to them leaving the house and wandering. It is thought that during the periods of confusion and not knowing where they are, that they want to go back to where they felt safe and secure around people that they know.

It is very difficult to deal with someone when they are sundowning. The very things that they are seeking are those things that we cannot give them. All we can do is provide them with reassurances that they are safe and that you will look after them. If they are looking to leave then distraction is recommended. Tell them that it is too dark/cold/late to leave tonight but that you can go in the morning. If asking for their parents don't remind them that they are dead - reassure them that you have contacted them and that they know she will be home tomorrow. Offer something to distract them... perhaps a tv programme or a cup of tea and something to eat, that kind of thing. If things are really bad then some people have resorted to taking the person either out for a walk or out in the car in the hope that when they return they will recognise their home again.

Whilst waiting for your appointment with the memory clinic, what would be useful is if you make notes of all the challenges that you are having to deal with at the moment. Make a note of what time of day these tend to get worse. Also, make a note of any underlying things that might be playing a part that day - are they particularly tired, or perhaps they have had a high amount of physical activity that day. Any things that are out of the norm - write them down. Then when you go to the memory clinic take the notes with you. This way the consultant can get a really in-depth understanding of what is happening on a daily basis. They can also see if there are any patterns, or whether things are deteriorating over time. None of which they would be able to gleen in a normal 20 minute consultation.

I hope you find some solutions which can help your mum. Please also look after yourself too as it can be really stressful dealing with this on a day to day basis.

Fiona

Aprilbabe

Apr 17, 2014
Hiya Aprilbabe,

It does sound like your mum is Sundowning. This is a very common thing for people with dementia but it is difficult to deal with and can and does stretch those who care for the person to their limits at times. Sundowning is a period of time during the day (use to be thought to be associated with the sun going down, hence the name, but can happen at any time) when a person becomes more confused and agitated. It can happen very quickly where they are fine one minute then all of a sudden not recognise where they are etc. An episode can last a few minutes or can last for hours and indeed the person doesn't sometimes return to their old self until the following day. As I said, it is common for the person not to recognise where they are. They can, like your mum, think they are in someone else's home and that they have to leave. What can also happen is for them to start talking about their parents and siblings and old neighbours that were around when they were a child. They can believe these people are still alive and will be worried about her being missing. They also talk about needing to go home - home being the childhood home and they can start packing to leave and in some instances this can lead to them leaving the house and wandering. It is thought that during the periods of confusion and not knowing where they are, that they want to go back to where they felt safe and secure around people that they know.

It is very difficult to deal with someone when they are sundowning. The very things that they are seeking are those things that we cannot give them. All we can do is provide them with reassurances that they are safe and that you will look after them. If they are looking to leave then distraction is recommended. Tell them that it is too dark/cold/late to leave tonight but that you can go in the morning. If asking for their parents don't remind them that they are dead - reassure them that you have contacted them and that they know she will be home tomorrow. Offer something to distract them... perhaps a tv programme or a cup of tea and something to eat, that kind of thing. If things are really bad then some people have resorted to taking the person either out for a walk or out in the car in the hope that when they return they will recognise their home again.

Whilst waiting for your appointment with the memory clinic, what would be useful is if you make notes of all the challenges that you are having to deal with at the moment. Make a note of what time of day these tend to get worse. Also, make a note of any underlying things that might be playing a part that day - are they particularly tired, or perhaps they have had a high amount of physical activity that day. Any things that are out of the norm - write them down. Then when you go to the memory clinic take the notes with you. This way the consultant can get a really in-depth understanding of what is happening on a daily basis. They can also see if there are any patterns, or whether things are deteriorating over time. None of which they would be able to gleen in a normal 20 minute consultation.

I hope you find some solutions which can help your mum. Please also look after yourself too as it can be really stressful dealing with this on a day to day basis.

Fiona

Thank you Fiona for your welcome reply. Much appreciated.
I have noted what you have said and I must say that I do try to write down as much as I can as to what happens on a daily basis, though I must admit these past few days I have not had a chance. Something to do very soon.
As to the sun downing, I was interested to read that it can happen at any time of the day. I must admit I assumed, because of its name, it was only apparent in the evenings.
Thinking of those awful days last week, she did seem very tired on those days, but she does get very agitated due to her living environment. SW said about her moving but that's easier said than done tbh. Difficult situation.
Mum has been here with me and my husband today, as usual on a Sunday, for lunch. She seemed a lot calmer today, only bringing up about someone taking her clothes etc a couple of times, as I tried to distract her from that conversation. Was nice too that my daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter popped in and mum was happy to see them. We had bought a playhouse for my granddaughter (on offer from Asda)!! and it was lovely to see the pair of them together. Hopefully mum will remember too, though not too hopeful with that one!!!
Thanks again for your reply and wonder what this week will bring. Hope to be more prepared and calmer myself.