CHC In residential care home

nanlaine

Feb 13, 2012
Hi, can anyone tell me have they managed to get continuing health care for their loved one, I want to have my dad assessed but a few have said they don't think he would be eligible, he is late stage Alzheimer's and needs help with pretty much everything. He presently pays all fees for his care via a charge on house, pensions etc. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

birdblack

Jul 9, 2011
NHS funding and search for good quality nursing home

How does one apply for this? I have asked the manager at my father's current home and they are evasive about it. Does it involve alot of paperwork then? I would have thought they could make an effort to see if he qualifies and what legal rights do i have, if any to investigate the possibility?

Also I wondered if anyone can recommend a good nursing home in the countries around london and/or scotland. would you be able to contact me privately. It is only through personal recommendation that you seem to find good ones.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya,

Everyone is entitled to apply for a CHC assessment to be carried out. This is why they have a 2 stage process - the first being a checklist that can quickly be done and if there is sufficient evidence at that stage then you move on to the second stage.

The care home that my mother was in encouraged every resident to have a CHC assessment done. Their approach was that, if nothing else, it puts down a benchmark as to what the person's needs are at a specific date in time and by doing so this can be used to demonstrate at a later date the extent of deterioration that has taken place over time.
On this basis, i would go for it. There is nothing to lose and everything to gain isn't there?

Fiona

nanlaine

Feb 13, 2012
Hi Fiona, thanks for the info, Do I ring SW to arrange or should I contact the pct or his dr or the care home sorry one site ses pct another ses social worker

Victoria26

May 20, 2014
Hi Nanlaine

My Mum receives CHC in a nursing home - initially she was funded for care at home. We were very lucky as the hospice that is involved in my mum' s care pretty much managed it all for us, and as she has cancer as well as dementia the process was fast tracked. It just needs the support of a clinician - in our case the doctor at the hospice. I hope that you might have someone involved in your Dad's ongoing care that can start the process?

Wishing you lots of luck.
Victoria x

nanlaine

Feb 13, 2012
Hi Victoria, thanks for replying, yes I will try and ring his SW tomorrow. Dad also has prostrate cancer but is considered a slow growing cancer so not sure if relevant in this process, seems to be a lottery, who you get on the day, what area you are in etc etc

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
In our case the care home set all the wheels in motion for us. If this can be done for you then that is the way to go as they have direct access to people like SW etc. This if nothing else removes the frustrations for you in trying to even get them to answer a phone!

Fiona

Rheme

Nov 23, 2013
England
Hi,

Try googling the CHC assessors in your area. If not successful contact the primary care trust.

You must do your homework on the process before going into the assessment and do a dummy assessment yourself. It will be surprising what you come up with. Visualise your dad externally and internally to whilst doing the dummy assessment working from the head down. We found it a good process to go through to ensure that nothing got missed.

I would imagine that if your dad has prostrate cancer then he will have continence problems which should fulfill one of the criteria concerned.

Have a look at this link for CHC funding. This was a source of invaluable information re CHC funding provided to me by crazyfish for which my family and I will be forever grateful.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/health/2012/11/continuing-healthcare-revisions/

Make sure at any assessment that there is a multi displined team there and not just the social worker and care/nursing home manager. You should be in attendance also.

A good point to remember is how your dad would be if he did not take all of his medications.

The 'system' is not very good at informing people about CHC Funding but have a go for it and if turned down appeal.

Good luck and I am sure you will get lots of help and advice on this forum.

nanlaine

Feb 13, 2012
Hi rheme

Thankyou for all your advice and links, will let you all know how I get on.