New to Forum

JasmineTea

May 17, 2014
Hello,

I am new here. I feel so lost and alone and find it extremely difficult to watch my much loved mother deteriorate. It feels like a nightmare that you can't wake up from and the nightmare just keeps getting more horrendous.
I feel so helpless and I'm so angry that this vile disease is stealing my mum for much of the time and replacing her with a frightened, angry and often aggressive person that I don't know. This person looks like my mum and there are times when my mum reappears, only to be cruelly replaced by that person again. I hate Dementia so much....

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello and welcome to TP.

I'm so sorry to read about your mother. I know it is very sad and very hard. You will find lots of help and support on this forum. Please keep browsing and if you need any help or support or a question answered please just ask. There is always someone around to help.

Take care.

JasmineTea

May 17, 2014
Hello and welcome to TP.

I'm so sorry to read about your mother. I know it is very sad and very hard. You will find lots of help and support on this forum. Please keep browsing and if you need any help or support or a question answered please just ask. There is always someone around to help.

Take care.

Thanks Izzy.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hello and welcome from me too.

Izzy has given you some great advice there. I always think TP is like an encyclopaedia, put a word in and out comes the answer. There is so much experience on here please use it.

Take care,

Jay

copsham

Oct 11, 2012
Oxfordshire
Hello Jasmine tea,
On reading your post I felt for you so much. Do you know what I did? I went and made myself a jasmine tea!

So many people who are members of this forum will have felt similarly to you at different times. It is so hard and so alarming. Every little while there is something new to come to terms with.

Until recently when I visited my mother she would greet me as if she hadn't seen me for years, that was bad enough but now she cannot greet me at all.

The world of dementia is not easy. Look after yourself in any little way that you can.:)

Aussiesheila

Jul 13, 2013
so understand how you feel

TP is full of people with so much help and compassion.
I completely understand the pain at the heart of your post - it is dreadful and it changes everything you have taken for granted for so many years.
There are good days and bad days. Everything passes.

JasmineTea

May 17, 2014
I find it hard coming on here as it all seems so depressing and I cry when I read some of the posts. I need to be in control as I work and my partner has a disability so if I lose it everything breaks down. I just need to keep putting one foot in front of the other...

Thanks to the lovely people who took time to respond to my post. It does help to know that others understand my pain. I just need to find a better way of coping with it...:) x

Polly1945

Oct 24, 2012
Hereford
Welcome Jasmine Tea

I felt so sad when reading your post. It is a vile disease and affects not only the sufferer but also those close to them..

I too have my Mum with Alzheimers, she was diagnosed about 5 years ago and has been quite ok for most of the time, but is now deteriorating extremely fast. It's really heart-breaking isn't it.

The only way to get through seems to be "Take one day at a time", although that is easier said than done.

Perhaps there will be a cure in the not so distant future, but in the meantime we all suffer greatly.

((Hugs))

Pauline
x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I find it hard coming on here as it all seems so depressing and I cry when I read some of the posts. I need to be in control as I work and my partner has a disability so if I lose it everything breaks down. I just need to keep putting one foot in front of the other...

Thanks to the lovely people who took time to respond to my post. It does help to know that others understand my pain. I just need to find a better way of coping with it...:) x

Just ignore this if you think it's inappropriate but if you want a lighthearted. Look at the forum have a browse through the Tearoom. Everyone who posts here is affected by dementia in one way or another. Having said that you might take comfort in the fun friendship you will find there. It doesn't lessen our problems but for some of us posting in the tearoom is a way of dealing with and sharing our lives with dementia.

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?44-Tea-room

Oh, and by the way - welcome to TP!

Laurano

Jan 3, 2013

Jasmine Tea, so sorry for your dreadful situation, try to take comfort for the small glimmers of brightness that sometimes happen in a look or word from your Mum. She is still "in there" and these moments are precious.

My dear Dad died a year ago from Vascular Dementia, and up to the end we had some lovely moments in amongst the horror and cruelty of this truly wicked disease. He was so bad in the end that he could only crawl around the house on all fours as his balance was poor. Sometimes he was aggressive, especially if he was stressed, so we tried hard to keep everything calm around him. He just loved cornettos!
We kept him at home and were lucky to have a live-in carer, who was amazingly patient and kind. We also had my Mum living at home too, she'd suffered a serious stroke and could just about get about with a stick. She needed all help with personal care, like my Dad. I was very lucky to have a brother who took early retirement to drive them when Dad's dementia progressed, so he was there most days helping the carer. I'm a TA in a school, and had 2 teenage kids, so when I came home from work, my brother went home and I was "on duty" to help out at Mum and Dads! we had midnight calls from their house, my Dad called emergency services, including fire engines so many times ! We eventually had a lock fitted to the phone to stop him.

We had a stair lift in just before Mum's stroke, so that was invaluable, and we claimed all possible benefits to pay the carer. No help came from any charity, but we were determined to keep them at home, and eventually nearly all their savings were used up.

For about 4 years we kept up our vigils, and found lots of events funny like when my Dad,unbeknown to us, ordered a lorry load of tea bags, or when he'd come into the room wearing three shirts and two ties! or six watches, all showing different times, up one arm! Or when my Mum, after losing so much weight, entered the room and sneezed and her skirt fell straight to the floor!

My Dad lost his fight, at home after only being in bed for a couple of days, after 11 long years of torment for him, initially, and then for us as his adoring kids. My poor Mum's heart was broken and she only survived a month after spending a peaceful Christmas with all those who loved her.

After telling you all this, I'm sure you can see, it's not all hell, but a lot of it is. The price we pay for loving them so, is the terrible grief when they leave you. The thing is if you try to do your best, that's all you can do. You cannot perform miracles, we got angry with everyone when no-one seemed willing to help us, and so many times we cried for the pitiful way they spent their last years.

But, and this is a big BUT, they were always surrounded by us, they knew we'd do our best for them because in our minds, they'd been brilliant parents to us and it was pay back time. We tried to do everything we could, so we don't feel guilty now.
Now I feel relief every day, like the world has been lifted from my shoulders, It's taken a year to feel like this,but I have my life back, and I know they would want me to feel that way.

Your time will come, just cope as best you can and try to get as much help you can. Make a noise so that you get what help you deserve.

Good luck xx

JasmineTea

May 17, 2014
Jasmine Tea, so sorry for your dreadful situation, try to take comfort for the small glimmers of brightness that sometimes happen in a look or word from your Mum. She is still "in there" and these moments are precious.

My dear Dad died a year ago from Vascular Dementia, and up to the end we had some lovely moments in amongst the horror and cruelty of this truly wicked disease. He was so bad in the end that he could only crawl around the house on all fours as his balance was poor. Sometimes he was aggressive, especially if he was stressed, so we tried hard to keep everything calm around him. He just loved cornettos!
We kept him at home and were lucky to have a live-in carer, who was amazingly patient and kind. We also had my Mum living at home too, she'd suffered a serious stroke and could just about get about with a stick. She needed all help with personal care, like my Dad. I was very lucky to have a brother who took early retirement to drive them when Dad's dementia progressed, so he was there most days helping the carer. I'm a TA in a school, and had 2 teenage kids, so when I came home from work, my brother went home and I was "on duty" to help out at Mum and Dads! we had midnight calls from their house, my Dad called emergency services, including fire engines so many times ! We eventually had a lock fitted to the phone to stop him.

We had a stair lift in just before Mum's stroke, so that was invaluable, and we claimed all possible benefits to pay the carer. No help came from any charity, but we were determined to keep them at home, and eventually nearly all their savings were used up.

For about 4 years we kept up our vigils, and found lots of events funny like when my Dad,unbeknown to us, ordered a lorry load of tea bags, or when he'd come into the room wearing three shirts and two ties! or six watches, all showing different times, up one arm! Or when my Mum, after losing so much weight, entered the room and sneezed and her skirt fell straight to the floor!

My Dad lost his fight, at home after only being in bed for a couple of days, after 11 long years of torment for him, initially, and then for us as his adoring kids. My poor Mum's heart was broken and she only survived a month after spending a peaceful Christmas with all those who loved her.

After telling you all this, I'm sure you can see, it's not all hell, but a lot of it is. The price we pay for loving them so, is the terrible grief when they leave you. The thing is if you try to do your best, that's all you can do. You cannot perform miracles, we got angry with everyone when no-one seemed willing to help us, and so many times we cried for the pitiful way they spent their last years.

But, and this is a big BUT, they were always surrounded by us, they knew we'd do our best for them because in our minds, they'd been brilliant parents to us and it was pay back time. We tried to do everything we could, so we don't feel guilty now.
Now I feel relief every day, like the world has been lifted from my shoulders, It's taken a year to feel like this,but I have my life back, and I know they would want me to feel that way.

Your time will come, just cope as best you can and try to get as much help you can. Make a noise so that you get what help you deserve.

Good luck xx

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

There are times when I can have a laugh with my mum but lately,these are few and far between. The last month or so has been particularly difficult and I am just tired. What makes it really difficult is the fact that my mum hallucinates and makes accusations that my partner hits her. This is hard for him to listen to as he is better to her than her own son. Unfortunately, my brother is not as supportive as yours was. He only appears on high days and holidays.

My dad died 9 years ago. He had Alzheimer's, accepted this and took his Aricept and Citalopram. He laughed at 'Keeping up Appearances' and liked to go for a run in my car when we would sing. He couldn't put a sentence together but he could sing a whole song. My mum told him he had Alzheimer's and he accepted it.My mum looked after him so well with support from me (again no sign of my brother) and he remained at home apart from the last two weeks of his life.

My mum will not accept any help. If you were to mention the D word to her it would send her over the edge. She will not take a tablet never mind going to see a GP or a Psychiatrist. She must know what us happening to her but is in denial .Maybe this is a good thing as she would not cope with the diagnosis.

What puts the tin lid on everything is the fact that my partner has MS. So I also have to watch him deteriorating at the same time. Having said all that, there are a lot of people a lot worse off.

Like you I feel like I am paying back some of what my parents gave to me and I wouldn't do it any other way. I'm glad ypu feel in a better place back as you so deserve that. I feel for anyone with a loved one who has any form of dementia and to lose your parents so voles together must have been hell.

Thanks again for your time and for caring.x

Laurano

Jan 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

There are times when I can have a laugh with my mum but lately,these are few and far between. The last month or so has been particularly difficult and I am just tired. What makes it really difficult is the fact that my mum hallucinates and makes accusations that my partner hits her. This is hard for him to listen to as he is better to her than her own son. Unfortunately, my brother is not as supportive as yours was. He only appears on high days and holidays.

My dad died 9 years ago. He had Alzheimer's, accepted this and took his Aricept and Citalopram. He laughed at 'Keeping up Appearances' and liked to go for a run in my car when we would sing. He couldn't put a sentence together but he could sing a whole song. My mum told him he had Alzheimer's and he accepted it.My mum looked after him so well with support from me (again no sign of my brother) and he remained at home apart from the last two weeks of his life.

My mum will not accept any help. If you were to mention the D word to her it would send her over the edge. She will not take a tablet never mind going to see a GP or a Psychiatrist. She must know what us happening to her but is in denial .Maybe this is a good thing as she would not cope with the diagnosis.

What puts the tin lid on everything is the fact that my partner has MS. So I also have to watch him deteriorating at the same time. Having said all that, there are a lot of people a lot worse off.

Like you I feel like I am paying back some of what my parents gave to me and I wouldn't do it any other way. I'm glad ypu feel in a better place back as you so deserve that. I feel for anyone with a loved one who has any form of dementia and to lose your parents so voles together must have been hell.

Thanks again for your time and for caring.x

You are very welcome, you certainly have it tough, it helps me to tell my tale, because there is light somewhere in that very long tunnel! I really feel for you as it sounds like such a difficult situation, keep talking on here, as it'll help to share the burden a little I hope xx

copsham

Oct 11, 2012
Oxfordshire
"I find it hard coming on here as it all seems so depressing and I cry when I read some of the posts"

Hello Jasmine Tea, At times when I am being strong for everyone, late at night I read TP posts, I shed a tear and feel sorry for myself which is helpful Then I pick myself up and start all over again!! I thnik it is okay to cry sometimes. I find it most beneficial after everyone has gone to bed. I can then wallow in it. I feel this is my true feeling which gets bottled up in order to do things and it is healthy to let it all out. XX

JasmineTea

May 17, 2014
You are very welcome, you certainly have it tough, it helps me to tell my tale, because there is light somewhere in that very long tunnel! I really feel for you as it sounds like such a difficult situation, keep talking on here, as it'll help to share the burden a little I hope xx

Thanks again, it has helped to get some of what goes on in my head out! :) x

JasmineTea

May 17, 2014
"I find it hard coming on here as it all seems so depressing and I cry when I read some of the posts"

Hello Jasmine Tea, At times when I am being strong for everyone, late at night I read TP posts, I shed a tear and feel sorry for myself which is helpful Then I pick myself up and start all over again!! I thnik it is okay to cry sometimes. I find it most beneficial after everyone has gone to bed. I can then wallow in it. I feel this is my true feeling which gets bottled up in order to do things and it is healthy to let it all out. XX

Thank you Copsham. I think I might use this as a coping strategy too! I like people to think that I'm in control when that is often far from the case..... Better out than in as they say.. It does help to talk to people who really understand what you are going through, so thank you for sharing what you did..I really appreciate it and to everyone who took the time to respond to my post.

katehh16

Feb 21, 2014
derbyshire
I have just read ' Keeping Mum' after seeing the review on the Alzheimers website. It has really helped me to realise that the feelings I have are 'normal''...at least for an idiot trying to cope with a disease they resent for taking their mum away!!! I have laughed and cried through the book but would recommend it. Hope you are feeling better, talking point is very soothing, theres always someone who has been through the same experiences and is willing to support you.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Talking Point mobile app