Cancelled holiday

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Next month will be our golden wedding anniversary, we went to Jersey for our honeymoon so booked in Jan to return for one week, my OH can't remember being married, so l have been thinking what is the point of going to a strange place that he will not know, so l have just cancelled the holiday, makes me feel so sad, l have booked a 3 day break a short drive away. My family agreed l am doing the right thing, l will be close to home if l have any problems, just thought all you lovely people l chat to and listen to would like to hear my plight. Pamann

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Talking Point mobile app

mumbasi

Sep 1, 2013
So sad. But I think you have done the right thing as well. Hope you have a lovely 3 day break.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read of your plight. It resonates with me.

I had booked a Eurostar holiday to Bruges for our 35th wedding anniversary in December. It involved flights from Scotland to London, overnight in London, Eurostar then the same on the way back. My husband had been in hospital and when I considered who I was really doing this holiday for I felt it was wise to cancel it. I have decided it's very unlikely we will go abroad again. Like you we still do short breaks in this country. It's sad but I'm glad we can still do this just now anyway.

I hope your break goes well and wish you a happy anniversary when the time comes. x

Last edited:

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
So sorry to hear you've had to change your plans for your milestone anniversary. I was planning a week to Guernsey or Jersey for our Ruby anniversary next month but like you decided there was no point and the hassle of travel and my husband not knowing where he was was not worth it. I do hope you enjoy your short break in spite of everything. Huge hug.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
WE celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary in my husband`s care home last year. It was the best we could make it and the staff at the home made a lovely party.

I suppose at that stage I was just grateful we were together.

Pookie

Dec 29, 2011
I am so sorry you cancelled your holiday. Take care

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Talking Point mobile app

lu

Feb 9, 2014
I am so sorry to hear that you have to give up such a milestone anniversary celebration. Canceling must have been so difficult for you, but you did the right thing. No one can possibly know the things a caregiver has to give up to meet the needs of their loved one. You are experiencing that with great courage and it is tough. Bless you .... Keep in touch.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Next month will be our golden wedding anniversary, we went to Jersey for our honeymoon so booked in Jan to return for one week, my OH can't remember being married, so l have been thinking what is the point of going to a strange place that he will not know, so l have just cancelled the holiday, makes me feel so sad, l have booked a 3 day break a short drive away. My family agreed l am doing the right thing, l will be close to home if l have any problems, just thought all you lovely people l chat to and listen to would like to hear my plight. Pamann

That is so sad, but you have definitely done the right thing. I would love a 3 day break, but this just wouldn't be practical in our circumstances. If you and your husband are still able to go away for a few days, then it is absolute wonderful. :)

Eleonora

Dec 21, 2012
Abingdon Oxfordshire
I do hope that you will both enjoy, and take pleasure in your re-organised break.
After a long and confusing journey, your husband might have been pretty anxious, and would probably have wondered what he was doing there.

But a short drive to an attractive new spot should be a lot more comforting for him; and if he feels agitated or nervous, you can turn around and pretend that it is just a day trip.and head for home and security.

But I am glad that you want to mark this special occasion. I spent our fiftieth wedding anniversary alone with my husband, who had no idea of the importance of the day - and I do so wish I could have taken him somewhere, but I have no car, and public transport is a nightmare.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I took OH for a 4 day break a couple of months ago and he ended up in the local A & E ( nothing to do with dementia). On the way back we stopped for lunch. As we drove into our drive he said 'what have we been doing this morning?!'
Wasting money?

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
I am overwhelmed by the responce to my cancelled holiday, l have been in the garden all day, husband watching me from the conservatory, my garden although very small it is my sanctuary, l feel at peace with the birds my cat at my side, she likes birds and has never ever caught one. Thank you so much for your support l feel so much better after a bad and stressful week. Love to you all pamann

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I am overwhelmed by the responce to my cancelled holiday, l have been in the garden all day, husband watching me from the conservatory, my garden although very small it is my sanctuary, l feel at peace with the birds my cat at my side, she likes birds and has never ever caught one. Thank you so much for your support l feel so much better after a bad and stressful week. Love to you all pamann

That's the beauty of TP. :) Everyone here has a good idea of the difficulties that others encounter. We don't know exactly how it is for others, but we can appreciate the problems.

Together we celebrate the small pleasures of others - everyone was so kind to me when I said that John had wished me Happy Birthday. And we empathise, sympathise and commiserate when times are tough. Have a lovely Golden Wedding! :D

dumpygirl

Nov 20, 2013
derbyshire

reading this pannam sounds exactly as it was for us on our 50th wedding anniversary.
I had booked a week in the isle of Wight but decided that it would be too traumatic SO instead of this my family all clubbed together and booked us a day trip with Sunday lunch on the Orient Express and two special friends went with us and it was fantastic and really special. Could you do something like this. Know how you feel but if it is not going to benefit both of you no point in going ahead. Hope you do manage to do something special - let us know what you decide.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh wow! Orient Express! I watched the David Suchet programme about the Orient Express recently. It looks totally amazing. I'm so glad you had that experience. How special. x

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you dumpygirl, 6yrs ago when my husband was in the early stages of AD we went from San Fransico to New York on the Amtrack train for 3 nights it was a wonderful experience but my husband spent most of the time sitting in our carriage missing all the fantastic views, he was so unhappy, so l think l will give trains a miss, l have booked a 3 day break near to home, so will be able to make a quick exit if need be, thank you for you suggestion, will let you know how we get on.