how is respite paid for

jancw

May 11, 2014
doncaster
Hi ime new to talking point i care for my 87 yr old mum and have for the last 7 years the only respite i get is when my sister comes up from wiltshire and i then visit my family in london for a week or sometimes 2 this only happenens twice a year my sister has phoned me to say that she cant do this anymoRe as her daughter has ms and is to ill to be leftalthough it is i think more about a running argument with my brother over my mums finances which he is in control of this leaves me pretty much on my own my brother does very little for my mum other than getting out money each month which is her pension where do i go with all this

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Jancw hello and a warm welcome to Talking Point,
You are obviously doing wonderfully looking after your mother but everyone needs a break to look forward to. I'm sorry that there is friction between your siblings but working around it is obviously important for you to keep some life of your own.

For us respite was paid for partly by Social Services and we paid a contribution, this was calculated after an assessment by Social Services of needs and income. Basically if you aren't in charge of your mother's finances then speaking to your brother who sounds to be in charge of her money would be a good start, if he doesn't want SS involved as they would want to know exactly what is coming in and going out then it's up to him to pay for respite out of your mother's money. If he doesn't agree to that then you can contact SS and ask for an assessment both for her and for yourself as her carer and they will help you make the decision about the best places to look for respite.

In other words it's a bit of a minefield when there are other family members involved with different agendas but you have options and I hope you can find the right one that gives you the break that you need.

I'm sure others will be along with different views and experiences,
with best wishes from Jo

gerry200

Jan 19, 2014
Cumbria
Hi jancw. I too care for my mother who is 88 and has advanced dementia and I not only get four weeks a year respite, the bulk of which is paid for by Social Services, but I also get an hour's help to get her up in the morning and half an hour's help to her get to bed as well as two days a week for her at Daycare. I also get an extra 4hours a week of Carer time to allow me to go out. All of this is accessed through Social Services after an assessment of her finances plus a Carer's assessment, and without it I just couldn't manage. I hope that you are getting Carer's Allowance and that your mother is getting at least the basic Attendance Allowance. There is loads of useful information on Talking Point about what help is available and after 7 years of caring, I think you deserve every bit of help you can get!

Best wishes
Gerry

jancw

May 11, 2014
doncaster
Thanks for all the advice awaiting sociol services shall let you know how i get on really great site

Hi again ss called today are coming out to do assesment have said as mum has over 23000 in her savings she will most likely have to pay all the fees for respite herself is this correct i can understand her having to pay but am i not entitled to anything myself for respite as a carer or is ca it what are these vouchers that i have heard of has anyone ever recieved them or are they illusive like most thingsare with this awfull illness

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Unlike residential care there is no national financial assessment for non residential care and services but there are guidelines.

The the relevant section on capital says:-

61. Councils may take account of a user’s savings or other capital in assessing
their resources, but are not obliged to do so. This section includes minimum
requirements for treatment of savings. Councils need to consider and consult
specifically on their policy in relation to savings, including circumstances where
individual users may have particular needs for savings (paragraph 94).

62. Savings may be taken into account to calculate a tariff income on the same
basis as set out in the Charges for Residential Accommodation Guidance
(CRAG) in LAC(99)9. Users with savings of more than the upper limit may be
asked to pay a full charge for the service. These savings levels will be updated
automatically in line with any uplifts in CRAG. Councils may wish to set higher
savings limits or more generous charging policies than those specified in
CRAG for users with savings, but should not set lower limits.

Pages 20/21 >>>FAIRER CHARGING GUIDELINES<<<
Note the continued use of the word 'may, in practice most LAs use the CRAG limits.
Las can also decide that any service is either free, means tested, or always charged for.

For carer's allowance you have to meet >>>THESE CRITERIA<<<

Last edited:

gerry200

Jan 19, 2014
Cumbria
It's a good idea to check your local authority website which should have their charging policy there. If she has over 23,000 in savings, it is likely that she will have to pay for her own care which will include any respite. The respite is usually for the Carer to have a break from caring. My mother paid for her own care until her savings dropped below 23,000 and now she only pays part. The care is arranged through social services who hold the contract with the care agency. Some of the care is deemed 'care and companionship' which is for me to have a break/ go shopping or whatever. It used to be that I was issued with vouchers and could use them to 'pay' for this 'care and companionship' whenever I needed it so it was flexible. However, my LA has now stopped this system and will have some kind of credit card instead so I can organize the care directly with the care agency myself.

That's how it works for me in my LA anyway - I know it's different in others.