A deputyship rant. Apologies in advance.

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
This is going to be a rant, so apologies in advance, but why can't financial institutions deal effectively with deputyships? Obviously some do but I'm about to write a third complaint. The first two were to high street banks and this latest one will be to a major building society.

The deputyship order was sent to them months ago, I got it back with a letter saying thanks we'll update our departments and systems, I then had cause to be in touch with them about a simple matter and all was fine, and then out of the blue, the week before last, problems. One department I spoke to on the phone couldn't see me on their systems so a big sorry but they couldn't discuss anything with me, and the second department could see the deputyship but the chap kept insisting that my aunt-in-law had to write in giving her permission before he would discuss her account with me.

I went into one of their branches and a lovely woman staff member called their customer service department and then head office and by that time no one could see the deputyship anywhere.

So I went back to branch a couple of days later with the order and ID and a nice man did all the paperwork all over again.

I've just been on the phone to them to resolve the original issue, something that should've taken 20 minutes tops, only to be told that yes, the deputyship was in the system but my aunt-in-law would have to write in giving permission yadda yadda...

I want to scream.

Given that us deputies don't get anything for our time, I though I would start logging my hours because between my mum and my aunt, it felt like I was spending hours on their affairs, and given that I need to earn some money to pay my bills, I've started to take taxis to speed things up a bit sometimes, and get back to doing some work. The hours being logged thing is to justify this in case the OPG think my expenses are too steep! Well, the matter I've just described has taken almost 12 hours so far - this includes being on hold, queuing in branch, waiting to be seen and so on. And since the 24th of April the aunt's affairs have taken over 33 hours.

The really annoying thing is that almost every single black hole into which my time disappears into is created by other people not doing their jobs properly. But when the annual report time comes around us deputies need to reconcile everything to the last penny and have all the answers. Don't get me wrong, the OPG people are lovely on the whole but when during an 'early days' visit a while back I explained that I don't have an invoice for a cheque I'd written (although it was to the care home and cashed) in spite of sending 8 emails and making several phone calls I was made to feel that it really, really was my responsibility to have everything in order. Sure it is. I still haven't had the invoice so I suppose my next step needs to be visiting their head office in person, an 8 hour round trip. But I can claim some petrol money.

Yay.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I have to say that I went in to a countrywide BS and had absolutely no problem with my Deputyship. I opened a current account for my husband and received a card and chequebook, both of which have my name and 'Deputy' on them. As I also opened an online ISA for him, I have internet banking too.

Our joint account is with the black horse bank and there they took a copy of the Deputyship notice but said for me to leave the account as joint, even though I would not be using it for myself, for the sake of convenience.

Utilities were a different story but the direct debit for the TV licence was the worst. In the end I just left it as it was and repaid it from my account.

You were fortunate to receive your visit from the OPG so soon. Mine was over 2 years later!
Good luck in your dealings with beaurocracy!

marsaday

Mar 2, 2012
Absolutely spot on rant Delphie.
I'm just getting my file in order for the first yearly review and, yes, we can put down postage etc but as you say what about all those hours queueing/waiting on the phone driving into town to get parked? Can we claim parking? I didn't keep any receipts. Would I need to go through my phone bills and work out the money spent on each and every one? I just don't have the time.

I haven't put any expenses down as I wouldn't know where to start and it doesn't seem worth the bother. And all the hours filing etc. It's a joke. And if a solicitor was doing it he could charge a fortune. And if the money was kept in court-well it's been in the papers about all the mis-managed accounts.

I forgot to ask a Taxi-driver for a receipt the other day (had to order a wheelchair taxi for Mum) but I'd have to make another phone call to get one and I just can't be bothered. Think I'll just pay for it myself. Grrrrr

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I don't claim anything at all for Deputyship duties - but then I am doing it for my husband so I guess it's different somehow.

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
Thanks for the good luck wishes Saffie, and yes mars, I never used to bother claiming either. My first deputyship was (still is) for my mum, and I felt like you and Saffie. But I had to start trying to pay myself at least something of my spending back because her business affairs were a very big and complicated mess, and I'm self employed. If I don't work I don't earn, and the deputyship aside, simply trying to support her 'independent' living nearly wiped my business out.

Now I've added aunt-in-law to the mix, and another complicated mess of finances and properties. Nothing I can't sort out but given the general incompetence I've encountered, looking after both of them is like a demanding part time job at the moment!

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
I'm in the process of applying for deputy ship for my mum,apparently gonna take 6 months and isn't cheap either !!!

You're absolutely right, but please don't let my rant put you off. The processes and safeguards all make sense and it's primarily the people, some people, in financial institutions not doing their jobs properly that get me riled. I don't mind giving up my time and I don't mind proving that everything I do to help is above board. What I mind is lots of my not actually free time being wasted and/or being held to account for other people's mistakes or laziness.

But the on the whole the OPG people are just like us, a nice lot trying to do their best I think. Who knows what kinds of nonsense they come across in their jobs. I'm sure they've seen it all, and then some.

But if anyone else refuses to speak to me until the aunt writes in I will not be responsible for my language!

vernumamy

Jan 25, 2014
I'm in the process of applying for deputy ship for my mum,apparently gonna take 6 months and isn't cheap either !!!

Hello again Kate and jack,

In one of your earlier post's, you said that mum was in middle stage dementia. I just want to remind you that your mum may still be able to do power of attorney.

She doesn't need to make any decisions, she just needs to understand for a couple of minutes at the time of signing, what you are telling her.

I am just bringing this up, as it is quicker and cheaper and possibly better for you and your family than deputyship, if this option is still open to you.:)

Brogues

Apr 13, 2014
Ohhhhhh let me join you - I have found either the deputy thing goes REALLY smoothly or it goes horrendously wrong.

One of the issues I have taken tot he ombudsman as the financial institution involved just refused to sort the problem - that is until i got the ombudsman involved suddenly a turn around xx

It's damned hard work is this damned hard work xx

Kate and jack

Jan 19, 2014
Southend on sea in essex
My mum has no understanding everything is no or yes,and is usually answered the wrong way round...she does not know her own name ,date of birth,and wouldn't know what to do with a pen ...I wish she could concentrate for a few minutes but there's no way this would happen...but thankyou for thinking and giving me that support.xxx

vernumamy

Jan 25, 2014
My mum has no understanding everything is no or yes,and is usually answered the wrong way round...she does not know her own name ,date of birth,and wouldn't know what to do with a pen ...I wish she could concentrate for a few minutes but there's no way this would happen...but thankyou for thinking and giving me that support.xxx

Your welcome, xx:)