Goodbye to Mum and Dad

Leonora7

Jul 26, 2010
Basingstoke
I haven't posted on here in many, many months. Life has just been a rollercoaster and I have been too exhausted somehow to talk about it. I’ve just checked and the last time I wrote anything was a year ago, virtually to the day. So I will start by apologising to all of you who have helped and advised me during my journey as a carer. Without the help of TP I don’t know where I would be now. It gave me great support and much information over my nearly four years as a member and helped me to maintain the strength to go on.

Over the last year my parents (Mum with vascular dementia and Dad mostly unaffected by memory loss - of which more below) finally got to spend some 7 months of uninterrupted time together in the flat I had moved them to from their home in Hertfordshire. Being 10 minutes walk from my home I saw them every day. I managed to find them a wonderful carer who lived in the same block of flats and then also discovered a marvellous private agency who took my carer on. At last I could stop worrying about the quality of care. Their neighbour/carer used to bring her two-year old daughter with her sometimes and this brightened up their world immeasurably; it was lovely to see the pure love and affection that existed between the three of them.

Of course, all good things must come to an end and Dad fell ill in October and eventually went into hospital with pneumonia and a blocked bowel. He had his 92nd birthday in hospital and although nobody thought he would leave the hospital he made a very slow recovery. However, as I believe is common, dementia suddenly seemed to raise its ugly head. In retrospect, of course, the signs had all been there - for example his steadfast refusal to accept that Mum had no reasoning ability, his utter insistence on always telling her the truth despite the upset this often caused. Dad had full-blown hallucinations and paranoia, believing that he had seen poor Mum “on the sofa cavorting with another man in the pimpery”, believing that we were suing someone and ‘noticing’ that the visitor on the other side of the ward had brought a ferret in with her. Naturally, there was a funny side to it but it was a shock nonetheless to realise that Dad had joined Mum in the world of dementia.

Mum and Dad went into a nursing home where they received exemplary care. He was in the nursing section while Mum was in the dementia area but they saw each other every day. By this point Dad was in a wheelchair and needed a hoist so it was quite inconceivable that he and Mum could manage at home but he was not happy and it was now he for whom I had become the enemy. He had a sudden short illness in February and died on St Valentine’s Day. Mum had stopped eating by this point and slowly wasted away, joining him on 19th April. The funeral was yesterday.

I am sorry for the length of this post but thought I would try to encapsulate the past year as briefly (!) as possible. What concerns me is that I seem to be unable to grieve. Of course, I have cried - it is no fun sitting by someone for a week as they slowly fade away as so many of you regrettably know. But I have not had a real howling session and was a bit flabbergasted at myself to find that I was able to make a personal contribution to both funerals without disintegrating. My overall feeling is one of relief. I feel guilty that I was unable to keep Dad at home where he so clearly preferred to be; yet I know there was no viable alternative. Apart from the logistics of the requirements for a hoist, the stress I and my husband and son have been through has taken a heavy toll. I have felt the loss bubbling up and I have just swallowed it back down. It is as if I cannot face it; maybe I feel that if I start I will never stop. I know this is far from healthy but I just don’t know what to do. Does anyone have any advice?

And again, apologies for the long absence and for the length of this post. If you have read it to the end thank you again. You are all so marvellous.

Jenny

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
O Jenny, it is so good to hear from you but the news you report is so dreadfully sad.
I am really sorry you have lost both your parents.
I know how hard you worked to bring them close to you and care for them.
Please accept my sympathy.

I do not have advice for you apart from knowing that your grief will have to come out one day and the old maxims of better out than in and sooner than later are relevant.
It is still early days though and after the death of your father, I expect you were so very involved with concern for your mother that your feelings then had to be buried underneath the anxiety for her. Perhaps this then became the way of coping later too after your mother died.

I do think the grief will hit you when you least expect it.
I'd suggest some grief counselling but think it is too early for that and it may be more appropriate if and when the dam has burst.
You could probably benefit from a complete change of scene - have you had a holiday since losing your parents? Just to relax away from everything would be so beneficial.

Please forgive me if I'm talking absolute rubbish!

Take care of yourself. love X

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Jenny, I am sorry to read about your mum and dad. I have often wondered how you were. Thank goodness your mum and dad were able to enjoy time in the flat together. I remember how hard you worked to get it all sorted.
My mum died four months ago, I haven't cried either. I don't know why.
Thinking of you.

turbo

Leonora7

Jul 26, 2010
Basingstoke
Golly Saffie, you are certainly not talking absolute rubbish! Thank you for your reply. I have to confess to having 3 weeks away shortly after Dad's funeral. We had booked the holiday some time ago and were in a quandary as to whether we should cancel because of Mum's precarious health. However, we decided that we just had to have a break and sure enough Mum was still with us when we got back. I had arranged frequent visits from friends so she had not been neglected and she was still able to recognise and converse with us for a short while until she became too weak. We do feel that we need another holiday now though...

How is your husband? I hope things are as good as they can be with you.

Jenny

QUOTE=Saffie;920992]O Jenny, it is so good to hear from you but the news you report is so dreadfully sad.
I am really sorry you have lost both your parents.
I know how hard you worked to bring them close to you and care for them.
Please accept my sympathy.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Thinking of you, how sad that you have lost both parents so close, but at least they are together again now. I'm sure your grief will come out in its own time, try not to worry about it too much. Be kind on yourself.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read of your news. Sending my condolences and wishing you strength.

Leonora7

Jul 26, 2010
Basingstoke
Well, I even seem to have forgotten how to post properly. Oh Turbo I am so sorry to hear about your Mum. I wonder whether this inability to cry is just because we've lost sight of our parents as the people we know, what with the level of stress etc.

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Well, I even seem to have forgotten how to post properly. Oh Turbo I am so sorry to hear about your Mum. I wonder whether this inability to cry is just because we've lost sight of our parents as the people we know, what with the level of stress etc.

Thank you Leonora, I found mum's dementia very hard to deal with. I still feel completely numb.
You must be exhausted after so many difficult months since your dad went into hospital and losing both your mum and dad close together.

turbo

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
I was just thinking about you yesterday (seriously!) and wondered how you were getting on. I am so sorry to read that both your parents have died now.

I lost my mum in January, she had been wasting away too as she was not swallowing. I have had the odd teary day but I don't feel anything like I did when dad died. I think it may be because we have prepared for it in a way, due to the progression of vascular dementia.

Hopefully the bubbling grief will wait until you're ready to let it flow. Please don't keep it bottled up too long. x

Leonora7

Jul 26, 2010
Basingstoke
Numb is a word I have been using to describe myself quite a lot; emotionally I feel just disconnected. I've been so busy arranging things I've been able to ignore the realisation that I'll never see Mum or Dad again. I am sorry to hear about your Mum Soobee, it is so devastating to see them waste away isn't it? I think you're right in that we've been preparing for the end in a way for a very long time, and the exhaustion just anaesthetises you as well.