A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Hilarious Sylvia and thank you, it brought back a similarly embarrassing memory. Some years ago, after having had episodes of pigeons falling down the chimney, my mother phoned me frantically one day that a bird had fallen down the chimney and was flapping it's wings earnestly. She turned off the TV (an avid tennis fan, this was the Wimbledon final) in order to quieten the bird. She asked me to call out the RSPCA, who when I did eventually get through, said they would only come out if British Gas would disconnect the gas fire to give access to the chimney. So I called out British Gas and then prepared to go round to the house myself. The engineer arrived, walked into the room and roared with laughter - the ball -bearrings had gone on my mother's table fan - hence the wing flapping noise . He was very good-natured, thanked her for the laugh and didn't charge!!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Your story brought back memories for me too Mary.

Our first house was let off into bed sits and we had the downstairs rooms. It was an old house and each room had an open fireplace.

I went into our bedroom to find a Pigeon strutting around on the bed. I nearly had a heart attack.

I did run for a neighbour that time. She was a cool as a cucumber. She came with an old blanket, threw it over the bird on the bed, scooped it up and set it free.

I was full of admiration and pitifully grateful. She was in fits at my fear.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I'm okay with mice, birds etc. It's insects that give me the heebie-jeebies. Spiders are my particular phobia. Yes, yes, I realize that technically spiders are not insects but to me anything with more than 4 legs is unnatural and should be killed.

I was visiting a friend once and out of the corner of my eye I saw a spider on the floor. She good-naturedly went over to stomp it BUT it turned out that it was a mummy spider with about a zillion (mathematical term here) spiderlings riding on her. The stomp scattered them and they ran everywhere.

I did what any sensible, sane person would do - I stood on the sofa and screamed bloody blue murder. My dear friend must have got annoyed because she told me to shut up! We still laugh about it.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm fine with birds until they start to flap but can pick them and release them.
I've rescued a number of wood pigeons.
Spiders are fine too. Just not rodents in any shape or form!

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Dhiren was wonderful. He dealt with everything of this nature, from spiders in the bath to slugs crawling up the walls.

My goodness Sylvia! - glad I don't live in your house!!:eek::eek::eek:

Told you to go out with the rubber gloves and plastic bag - so pleased you didn't phone Paul!:D

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think I posted before about the morning when my daughter and I came downstairs at something like 6am (school bus at 6.45), she went into the family room, I went to get breakfast and I heard her say in a questioning tone "something's staring at me from the fireplace". Rush hot foot to find an owl staring out through the glass. Finally managed to get it out by putting a dog crate covered by a blanket in front, having opened the glass door. This stood me good stead when the next time it was a squirrel.

I don't mind spiders or insects at all. I don't even mind rodents (but not in the house). I am squeamish about half-dead anythings though. And don't get me started on snakes - they get in the basement sometimes and I really have to steal myself to deal with them (tip - throw towel on top of them). And as for the day I picked up a pile of mulch with my hands and discovered there was a snake as a passenger and it was in my actual hands: you could have heard me screaming in the UK probably.

Which reminds me - I have to mow the lawn. Hopefully everything will scatter as I do.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
I think I posted before about the morning when my daughter and I came downstairs at something like 6am (school bus at 6.45), she went into the family room, I went to get breakfast and I heard her say in a questioning tone "something's staring at me from the fireplace". Rush hot foot to find an owl staring out through the glass. Finally managed to get it out by putting a dog crate covered by a blanket in front, having opened the glass door. This stood me good stead when the next time it was a squirrel.

I don't mind spiders or insects at all. I don't even mind rodents (but not in the house). I am squeamish about half-dead anythings though. And don't get me started on snakes - they get in the basement sometimes and I really have to steal myself to deal with them (tip - throw towel on top of them). And as for the day I picked up a pile of mulch with my hands and discovered there was a snake as a passenger and it was in my actual hands: you could have heard me screaming in the UK probably.

Which reminds me - I have to mow the lawn. Hopefully everything will scatter as I do.

Aaaaaaah!:eek: just the thought of picking up a snake fills me with dread, even though I know they don't seek us out. I once ran out into the garden barefoot, to bring in the washing when it started to rain, and trod, barefoot, on a toad. It survived as I must have jumped ten feet in the air.

I bet there's no wildlife now in Grannie G's shed.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I've tried to deal with it by handling snakes when the opportunity has presented itself (zoos and things) and I was always "oh look - there's a snake: they eat things like rodents and slugs and are therefore good" when the children were small but, no, I can't say I like them and I particularly don't like the idea that they can swim (I saw one in my pond once and again, minor screams).

It's their silence that gets me I think.

Similar to Sylvia's bunch of twigs, a couple of weeks ago I was int he garden and saw something coiled up in the leaves, and simply froze. Turned out (after I got my husband) that it was a rubber gasket. Sigh.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Now I'm not good with creepy crawlies, BUT I excelled myself last night, there was a 'bug' lurking on the washing machine door, K and his girlfriend both fled, I scooped in up in kitchen roll and tossed it out of the backdoor, not much I know, but it was for me:D

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I can cope with most things. Spiders and creepy crawlies don't worry me. Mice and rats I'm not overly keen on but they don't freak me out, and we don't get many snakes in Wigan (well not of the reptile type) but, birds I cannot cope with. Especially dead ones. :eek:

If a bird got into my house ... well I would leave it there and move house. If there was a dead bird in my garden I too would call Sylvia's Paul. I can't rationalise it, but that's the nature of a phobia.

At one of our offices we have had an ongoing problem with mice - they were literally running across the keyboards as people were typing. The rat catcher from the council came and one was peeping out of a hole at him, whilst he was clodding it with the Yellow Pages shouting "ooh it's a cheeky beggar this one". Very technical :rolleyes:. Our office manager, blonde in stilettos (she's female in case you were wondering) would simply pick it up by its tail saying "ah, it's only a baby". But, show her the tiniest spider and she would run out screaming.

I think you're a hero Sylvia, even it was only a bunch of twigs :).

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Now I'm not good with creepy crawlies, BUT I excelled myself last night, there was a 'bug' lurking on the washing machine door, K and his girlfriend both fled, I scooped in up in kitchen roll and tossed it out of the backdoor, not much I know, but it was for me:D

I have to suck them up the vacuum then tie a carrier bag at the end in case they have lived through their sucking up to the tubes and then find a way to escape. Using kitchen roll is impressive. Richard Attenborough I am not.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
:

If a bird got into my house ... well I would leave it there and move house. If there was a dead bird in my garden I too would call Sylvia's Paul. I can't rationalise it, but that's the nature of a phobia.

That reminds me, mum called a couple of years back telling me there was a bird down her chimney, while suspecting hallucinations I went down and heard a fluttering. I am ashamed to say that I thought if I put the gas on it would fly away, but that was not the outcome. :(

I take it you don't have cats then Sue, mine love to bring me "gifts", had a flipping squirrel this week, poor little thing.

handyjack

Oct 6, 2011
I know just how you feel Sylvia. Working in a nursing/care home, all too often we lose residents. Believe me, I have to cope with losing people I have come to know quite well over a long period of time. Only this week have we lost a resident after a short illness. This resident had been with us for about 2 yrs and I was fairly close to this one. I try my hardest to be professional and still the tears come. (even now I'm trying hard to hold them back) It's not something I easily come to terms with. But time as they say, is a great healer. Your love will not lessen and there will be days when coping is extremely difficult, but over time, the feelings of grief do diminish. Grieving can be a lengthy process. xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve been pushing myself a bit lately, to ease off on the `drifting` and start doing something more positive with myself.

This week I started back at Yoga and Tai Chi, both activities have previously given me so much pleasure. I received warm welcomes back and thoroughly enjoyed both sessions.

Last night I attended an Interfaith Group meeting. The welcome was warm and friendly and I believe I may have something to offer as well as there being something to receive.

I am considering joining a whole day outing to a `Stately Home` in July.

So why have I spent time this morning, reading through and weeping through the final stages with Dhiren on `Life in the day.......... ` ? It is the first time I have strayed from the `now` into the `then`.

I will answer my own question. This is not the life of my choice, it`s the life I have to make the best of.
Me and how many others. :)

winda

Oct 17, 2011
Nottinghamshire
Just sending my sympathy Sylvia. These sad times just come and go, I find.
But I am pleased that you have returned to some of your previous activities. I have found that being part of such groups has helped me tremendously.

Hope the rest of your day is better.

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
Sylvia, I wonder if it is all the new and wonderful activities you are rejoining which made you feel a dip into the past was needed. A see-saw. I don't think it will always be like this. Your life is refilling with things besides caregiving, and it is definitely bittersweet. Take car.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I am not as far along this new life's road as you are, but I understand the drifting.

I had a very active week last week, and this week I have found some days it is hard to even get out of bed.

Sometimes half way through the day I " need to sleep" and so I switch off from the world again.

You cared for Dhiren for many many years, your days were structured around visiting Dhiren, now they are waiting to become structured again around your new interests.

I send you love and understanding

Jeannette

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I will answer my own question. This is not the life of my choice, it`s the life I have to make the best of.

I'm sure you will find your own answers Sylvia. It is good that you have the attitude of making the best of the life you have. I hope you will be able to share some of your stories as you travel this part of your journey:)

Love

Status
Not open for further replies.