panorama

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Appalling. And I don't see what good it is to sack care workers only - managers and owners should be held accountable and prosecuted. Anyone who ignores or sacks whistleblowers should be prosecuted. How on earth was a care worker who had already been complained about as having a bad attitude, ever promoted? It really does make you despair.

I don't think it's quite all about training, either. If someone has sadistic tendencies - it's no good pretending some people don't - then all the training in the world isn't going to make much difference. It needs an all-pervading ethos where anything but kind, sensitive care is utterly unthinkable - and that HAS to come from the top.

lifeonhold

Mar 6, 2014
Horrific!

Panorama is on Wednesday 30th april at 9.00 it is about care of the elderly.

Behind Closed Doors

I have just watched Panorama. It makes me want to sit by my Mum 24/7 who is in a residential home for dementia sufferers. However I trust contracted carers in her home. My worry is if agency staff are called in at times of "short staffing" Yes, they may be fully qualified but do "their" standards meet the care home standards they are working in and indeed do they upheld "best practice" care standards??!!

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
I chose that place for one of the most important people in my life ever. I feel sick.

I'm so sorry Grandad. I hope they didn't hurt you xx

Rheme

Nov 23, 2013
England
Can't there be a care offenders register as there is a sex offenders register to ensure that those who abuse the people within their care cannot do it again and thereby preventing them obtaining employment within a similar enviornment?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I didn't want to watch it but I made myself. I am a bit of an ostrich about some things but felt this was too important not to see. I found myself thinking of what must happen when I am not in the nursing home.
I pray to God that it's not like anything that happened there.

Sally, we only saw a part of it. The good parts didn't fit the remit of the programme.
I think most homes will have a rogue carer at one time or another. Not all are doing the job for the right reasons. Please don't blame yourself. We are all as likely to have made the same decision. Indeed, I often feel I have made the wrong one but again, I pray I haven't.

I think if the managers/owners had their eye on the ball, these people would, or certainy should, have been picked up sooner.

So sad, I cried along with that poor lady.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
i agree. The promotion bit really got to me. Lock them all up and give them a dose of their own medicine. They are nothing but bullies.

Agreed. I was exasperated with some pundit who was waffling on about it being the fault of 'society', too. It is much more down to owners of some of these places not caring about anything but the bottom line, profit. If they thought they might actually go to jail, instead of just having to sack a few low paid workers - plenty more where those came from, chaps - we might see less of this sort of horror.

Dave K

Account Closed
Apr 14, 2014
Barnsley (UK)
I did not watch Panorama, I just could not bring myself to watch it

Hospitals are mostly public places where anyone can see what is going on so why not have cameras in care home rooms as mandatory, discreetly placed of course, so a designated family member can "tune in" at anytime and either listen or observe remotely

I am sure if all care home staff know this then this might deter the evil 1% of bad carers

Just my opinion

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
A Care offenders register would be a great idea...make sure the sadistic and heartless ones never get Care work again. And I'd hope cameras would help, so Carers would know there was a record of what they do. A couple of bad eggs and others who turn a blind eye..what a lethal combination. I'm glad I watched, it's better to know and be on your guard if and when the time comes.

handyjack

Oct 6, 2011
I work in a nursing/dementia, care home and watched the Panorama program. To say I shed a few tears, would be a vast understatement.. Ladies (and gentlemen) please, don't let this program cloud your judgement of the care industry. The vast majority of care/nursing homes, have genuine caring staff, who have a great empathy for the people in their care.. We do understand the (many) concerns of the relatives who choose to place their loved ones into 24hr care.. What I do find hard to understand though is owners/directors of the care home featured, not taking genuine concerns from staff members seriously, to the extent they actually dismissed the original whistle blowers.
I sincerely hope that those of you considering a nursing/care home for a relative, take your time to find out as much information as possible about the place you decide for your relative. Visit, before you decide.. Don't phone them beforehand to arrange a visit , just turn up and ask to be show round. Nursing/care homes which have nothing to hide, will be more than happy for you to see the establishment and meet the staff and residents.

clareglen

Jul 9, 2013
Cumbria
Can't there be a care offenders register as there is a sex offenders register to ensure that those who abuse the people within their care cannot do it again and thereby preventing them obtaining employment within a similar environment?
There is. I assume all care homes vet employees through the Disclosure & Barring Service (used to be CRB) this covers both child and adult workforce for those working with children and those working with vulnerable adults. Only problem, doesn't work for those who haven't yet been caught. But those that have been prosecuted shouldn't be allowed to work again with vulnerable adults. I say shouldn't as I blew the whistle on a girl who was working where I worked who had bullied another with learning disabilities. She was quietly (company frightened of getting sued) not employed again by us and then she had applied to local Council & they came to us for a reference. I said I wouldn't touch her with a barge pole & explained why but my boss wouldn't say it officially as didn't want to be sued giving bad reference. I said to Council person (who are the worst for wanting people checked out but then don't know what to do with bad info) I've given you the information & told you that I wouldn't touch her, it's up to you. Reply was 'she's good on paper'.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Just having a coffee whilst reading all your posts . My john always says if he gets too bad to put him in CH, he also put it in his lifetime plan with admiral nurse. We watched the program together and were horrified and cried!! I always been reluctant to agree with him on care homes and this made me feel sick. I am even more worried and frightened of the future specially when John needs more specific care just hope I ll be able to manage as I don't think I could ever put him in a home now after seeing this. It's a disgrace and I agree there should be a register for care homeworkers who abuse!!!! :((((((

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
A strong manager is the key, IMO. Someone who isn't afraid to assert control.

I was happy with the care my mum received over the eight years in the home. I trusted the manager and the senior staff. What impressed me was the way I was informed that they'd had a problem with two of the staff caught being verbally abusive and they were sacked immediately. The manager didn't need to tell me that - I would probably have never found out, tbh - but the fact that she did made me trust her to do the right thing by my mum.

You can't install CCTV cameras everywhere. In the bathroom? In the toilets? There would always be blind spots which abusive carers would soon suss out. There's an article in The Times this morning to that effect - what's the betting that lazy uncaring carers would then just sit around watching the residents on the monitors instead.

A good manager who actively encourages whistleblowers is the best deterrent.

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
Maybe someone can tell me, why is it necessary to 'train' a person to care? At some stage in the Dementia journey spouses and relatives care for their LO at home. It's a natural instinct, just as one cares for their children from the beginning.
Nobody taught me how to care for my wife on my own after I removed her from the trained Nursing Home staff's 'care'. Might it not be a good idea to have some of these 'trained' staff sent to visit peoples homes and learn from the true experts as part of their learning process.
Picture one = The result of NH care, three months later she became bedridden. At that stage I took her home. Picture 2 best illustrates the result of proper loving care and the provision of a better quality of life.
How I wish I was able to show the many videos I made of our journey. AD life does not have to be hell on earth.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 464
  • C-001.jpg
    C-001.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 435

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I think jail time, if the owners are allowing an environment of abuse they are as bad as the abusers themselves. Enabling abuse of vulnerable people, should be answerable by a term of imprisonment. Sorry we jailed the young man who stole water in the riots as he was thirsty and had to walk home, we can surely jail these people too.