Reading and writing

kathycull

Jan 31, 2014
Dad has Alzheimer's and is very distressed because he can no longer do the two things he enjoyed and was good at - reading and writing.
Has anybody got any tips on how to help him with this? He is at a loss at what to do with himself all day and wanders aimlessly or sinks into depression.

Dagne

Feb 16, 2013
Picture books, preferably if they are about his interests? I'm thinking attractive, glossy, coffee-table style books.

annie h

Jun 1, 2013
When my mum was at the stage when she was losing the ability to read a book and follow even a short story I got her some of the "Forgotten Voices" series of books. They are themed books with short quotes from lots of different people of a paragraph or two so you can just dip into them and it doesn't matter if you go back in on the wrong page. Themes a bit limited though, all about the war I think. I also tried a collection of letters from a thirties celebrity but that didn't suit mum very well.

kathycull

Jan 31, 2014
When my mum was at the stage when she was losing the ability to read a book and follow even a short story I got her some of the "Forgotten Voices" series of books. They are themed books with short quotes from lots of different people of a paragraph or two so you can just dip into them and it doesn't matter if you go back in on the wrong page. Themes a bit limited though, all about the war I think. I also tried a collection of letters from a thirties celebrity but that didn't suit mum very well.
Thanks. I'll look into them:)

kathycull

Jan 31, 2014
Picture books, preferably if they are about his interests? I'm thinking attractive, glossy, coffee-table style books.
A good idea. He was a keen ornithologist and I have bought him a coffee table book on garden birds which I am taking to him tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on.:)

pippop1

Apr 8, 2013
Bird table and food for birds if he has a garden? I think you can get DVDs of birds too.

stargirl

Sep 16, 2013
Great ideas here!
there are also lots of simplified versions of classics for children and people with special needs that you could get as talking books - things like Jekyll & Hyde, Dickens, etc. They aren't too patronising but the sentences are short & simple & things move along quickly.

As for writing - what did he used to write? If he misses the recording, could he be helped to record spoken word and keep a verbal diary?
Is he able to copy letters and words?

stargirl

Sep 16, 2013
Sorry - one more thing. I noticed you said he doesn't have a mobile phone & I know not everybody's budget will stretch to this, but a good investment could be an iPad/tablet device if you think he could use it. It would mean you could download countless talking books, TV shows, pictures, e-books etc. There are also apps that then speech into text, handwriting games, etc. Just a thought :)

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
My Husband also lost the ability to read and write (heartbreaking for an ex English Lecturer-books were such a large part of his life). I used to read poetry to him and he could manage to enjoy wildlife documentaries.

Take care

Lyn T