panorama

flowerpot

Jul 27, 2010
Rural North Northumberland
I've set it to record.

My MiL is in a nh and is well cared for. When we visit there never seems to be anything untoward going on. We make a point of visiting at different times and on different days so that they never know when to expect us! So far so good. MiL always looks well cared for and happy.

Unfortunately there are bad homes out there and it takes something like Panorama to highlight these. Things are too easily ignored and not taken seriously. In most cases people are too scared to come forward in case they lose their job!

mowood

Dec 27, 2009
West Yorkshire
I'm sure this programme will make distressing watching but I fear that there will be nothing surprising in it.

I too had some dreadful nursing homes recommended for my mum - two of them have since been closed down because of their failure to meet required standards.

In November/December last year I attended the court trial of a nursing home owner and manager who were charged with wilful neglect of the residents in the home. The trial lasted more than 6 weeks and the information that came out was truly sickening. The trial did make the national press but there was little detail given.

The morning that the police and services swooped on this home there were 21 residents living there. It was revealed that 15 of them had pressure sores, some of them as bad as grade 4 with bone showing. One lady who should have been turned every two hours was saturated from neck to knee in urine, as was her bedding, and the records showed that she had not been moved for more than 12 hours. This home was given a 'good' category by CQC.

This pair of 'responsible adults' were charged with 4 counts of wilful neglect and were found guilty; he on 3 counts and she of all 4. They were sentenced to 12 months on each count to run concurrently so they will be out after serving only 6 months.

There was no suggestion of hitting or slapping - 'just' neglect. We all need to remember that neglect IS a form of abuse.

The families of the people living in the home were not uncaring or stupid people. They trusted those who were being paid to look after their relatives and the judge said that they should not feel any guilt about not spotting the neglect. They certainly didn't place their relatives in the home thinking that they would be neglected.

So, I'm sorry and understand if this programme makes anyone feel uncomfortable but I want to know and I want other people to know about what can and does go on in some of these places. How else can anything be changed? We all need to be vigilant however good we think a care home is.

Cathy67

Apr 16, 2014
Essex
I wont be watching this tonight. interestingly, they are talking about this very subject on BBC Essex right now.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I will not be able to watch -
too painful. I agree that there should be publicity about the good. What I don't understand is if I can go around and identify a good home for my mother why can't inspectors be more effective.:confused:

The thing is, staff are never going to behave like this when inspectors are there, and without cameras in all the rooms - which would be an appalling invasion of residents' dignity and privacy - it is too easy for rogue staff to abuse the vulnerable.

I do think a lot must be down to the management and ethos of the home - if all they really care about is the money coming in, they will not be too bothered about choosing the right sort of staff. Conversely, management that really cares about good care will imbue staff with the same ethos. I would like to think that existing good staff would very quickly be able to suss out any new 'bad hat' - I am sure that would be the case in my mother's CH, not least because of its design, where all the rooms in each section are fairly close to the open plan sitting/dining room/kitchen, and other staff/visitors would be
likely to hear anything untoward going on.

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
So many people say; the care home my LO is in a very good one. I often wonder how they know that? The one my late wife was in was a very good one to many visitors, they even had letters in their office praising it.
Of course none of those visitors spent a whole day at the place. My daily visits lasted between eight and nine hours and over time, many of the residents mistook me for a member of staff. One lady asked me to take her to her bedroom. She had been waiting in the dining room to be moved. When I took her to her room she asked to be put to bed, of course I could not.
On one occasion a member of staff asked me if my wife had her lunch? My response: "Why do you ask?" She failed to grasp the implication of the question, my wife was incapable of speech. The response of one of the staff to my question: "Would you place your Mother in here?" Her reply "No way".
All patients require emotional support, compassion and loving care. To become emotionally involved can take its toll and from what I witnessed just a few possessed that quality and gave of their time.
There are many questions I would love to ask about one to one care at the very end stage in Nursing Homes. But I won't bother, as I know the answer.

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
My Grandad had all his respite at the CH shown in tonight's programme :(

I have to say it was prior to any evidence to be shown in the programme.

I also have to say the home was lovely. The staff seemed lovely. There was no way anyone would or could have known when choosing the home for a loved one.

I really hope it wasn't bad when Grandad was there. Lots of people here know what he meant to me.

Needless to say, this has really shaken me up. :(

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
I feel awful. I really do Kassy.

I did everything I could, always, to make things as good as possible for Grandad. I can't stand the thought that I may have put him at risk in any way. It was me who originally suggested the CH for him.

I miss him so much tonight :(

uselessdaughter

Jun 8, 2009
West Country
I will not be able to watch although I should as a form of punishment. My dear dad was in The old deanery for about four months. Just another reminder of my total failure of a daughter.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
You did everything and more Sally,and i'm sure you would have noticed signs if anything untoward was happening to your Grandad.

It is so easy for us to focus on what we think we did wrong,and not what we did right.

Sending big hugs.x

Well said Kassy

My Husband is in a lovely CH and Pete is well looked after.

However, that is because the Manager is very strong and caring. The owners want to run it differently-make it more 'posh' and less homely. The Manager wont accept their wishes, but she retires in 5 years what will happen then? Perhaps it will become just another place where profit rules. The previous owner ,who I didn't know, was a lovely man apparently who had a real vocation for caring.

Is that one of the problems? Profit over caring? Maybe. Although who could attack or neglect a vulnerable person (child or adult) is beyond me.

As I say, although I am happy with Pete's care, I still think that cameras should be mandatory

I hope those who do watch the programme will be able to cope with the revelations. Perhaps those who have experienced bad care for their relatives should think twice. I know I would

Take care

Lyn T

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Sally and Uselessdaughter, I'm so sorry. The thought of this programme must be so distressing for you. How can any of us really know what goes on behind closed doors?
My heart goes out to you, and Kassy, and anyone else who has experience of this horrendous abuse, not least the poor residents involved.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I have used a hidden recorder, mum is in her own home, I found abuse by people close to her. I should feel ashamed for secret taping hut I simply can't as the abusers stopped when they knew they were exposed.