Bed wetting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellie-Ann

Apr 22, 2014
Southampton
Is anyone else's loved ones with this nasty nasty illness bed wetting as this is the latest thing last night she wanted to sleep in it (normally she will let me put clean bedding on) after a while she did let me put clean bedding on

Sent from my iPhone

gingernut45

Mar 7, 2013
Cambrigeshire
My husband has had this problem since September last year. I usually put either a fabric or disposable inconti-sheet/bed pad under the bed sheet as he'd either take it off (don't need it, don't have a problem) or fidget so much, it comes off. I know the sheet still needs tobe washed, but it saves the mattress smelling. If we're allowed to mention brands, Huggies bed pads are best as they have sticky strips (found in baby products aisle). For men, Boots have adult pull-ups designed for men, so far, so good. Otherwise Sainsbury's own brand is cheaper (£5.99 for 10). otherwise try a mattress protector from a mobility showroom as she should be entitled to vat exemption. I hope this helps. Oh yes, if my hubby is anything to go by, she MAY go through a phase of 'I'm not wearing them, I don't wet the bed'. Getting strict and honest with her may help.

Kellie-Ann

Apr 22, 2014
Southampton
I have got that problem at the moment I have been cutting black bags to cover the mattress then putting bath towels on top of the black bag ( I got second hand towels for this) she has the pads which I had to fight tooth and nail to get them for her when I puts one on her ready for bed once I have walked out the room she will take it off as she says I'm not a child I'm not wetting the bed stop treating me like a child I do tell her she can't sleep in wet bedding as she will get sore and get cold and i if your really ill you might have to spend a few nights in hospital and we both don't want that to happen do we I know it's nasty for me to say it to her but at the moment it seems to be working

Sent from my iPhone

gingernut45

Mar 7, 2013
Cambrigeshire
I have got that problem at the moment I have been cutting black bags to cover the mattress then putting bath towels on top of the black bag ( I got second hand towels for this) she has the pads which I had to fight tooth and nail to get them for her when I puts one on her ready for bed once I have walked out the room she will take it off as she says I'm not a child I'm not wetting the bed stop treating me like a child I do tell her she can't sleep in wet bedding as she will get sore and get cold and i if your really ill you might have to spend a few nights in hospital and we both don't want that to happen do we I know it's nasty for me to say it to her but at the moment it seems to be working

Sent from my iPhone

has she got dark coloured fitted sheets to put on top? then she might not see the towels etc or the disposable bed pads. If she goes shopping with you, they are for a friend. sometimes you have to be firm with them. ask her if she is aware she wets the bed and does she want to sleep in a smelly bed, on a smelly mattress. show her the prices of new mattresses and say 'expensive aren't they?' bed pads are cheaper. it took me the best part of 4 months to get through to my hubby so keep at it.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
You might consider Kylie sheets. They are special sheets that are absorbent and also act as a barrier - you need to protect the mattress as they are almost impossible to clean once urine soaks past the surface. A soiled mattress will get very smelly very quickly and the internal springs may rust, the only solution is to throw it away.

Kylie sheets can be machine washed and are re-usable for about 200 cycles or so.

The big advantage is that they work like nappies; the top layer allows urine to pass through to the absorbent layer underneath but won;t allow it to pass back. This means that they don;t need to be changed right away after an "incident" and the person in the bed is not left wet; the one-way barrier stops this.

gerry200

Jan 19, 2014
Cumbria
Kylie's work for us - my mother has the ones with flaps that tuck in so they don't ruck up. You may be able to get these for free (otherwise they are around £20 for two from Amazon - and you'll need two) via the NHS Incontinence service who can give you lots of advice and a free supply of pads/ pull ups. At least that's what we get - though the post code lottery may come in to play. Another way is to contact the District Nurse which is what I do as the response is quicker.

cricketmad

Mar 24, 2014
Wiltshire
Is anyone else's loved ones with this nasty nasty illness bed wetting as this is the latest thing last night she wanted to sleep in it (normally she will let me put clean bedding on) after a while she did let me put clean bedding on

Sent from my iPhone

I had a similar problem with my mum, but she now wears a pad at night and on the whole this seems to have worked. She was a bit resistant at first, but I told her that I couldn't keep washing all the bed linen every day, and now she understands.

I do check the bed every morning and if it is damp, I take the sheets and put them straight in the washing machine. I bought two flannelette covers for the mattress and this has stopped any problems. We are lucky that we have a local chemist with a mobility shop and they are great at helping you find the right things for you. I hope that you can convince your loved one, as it has saved me a great deal of time and effort in washing and ironing.

Hope this helps

Jane

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Should you get pads and find them successful then make sure you are using the high quality grey night pads.
I am sorry can’t remember the brand name right now, but anyone in the ‘trade’ should know which ones they are.
Should you get a referral to the continence service they will know which ones I refer to. Should they be providing any ‘alternative’ at the moment I would choose to go to a mobility shop and purchase and pay for the good ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife