care home

debs04

Apr 26, 2014
cannock
my mom is 92 has had Dementia for the past 5 years but the time as come for us to let her go into a care home as we just can not look after her as she now needs 24 hour care she as become a danger to herself and does not know me and my sister its so heartbreaking. but we dont have the money for her to go private is there any help we could get for our mom to go into a care home.with thanks

cf1611

Apr 16, 2014
my mom is 92 has had Dementia for the past 5 years but the time as come for us to let her go into a care home as we just can not look after her as she now needs 24 hour care she as become a danger to herself and does not know me and my sister its so heartbreaking. but we dont have the money for her to go private is there any help we could get for our mom to go into a care home.with thanks

Hi Debs, does your mother live with you or does she have her own property?.Does she have a social worker? Has she had assessments carried out. If she needs to go into care for her own safety YOU should not have to pay, if your mother does not have sufficient funds then she should be for funded by the local authority, although it is means tested. If she requires nursing care and her needs are high enough she could qualify for continuing healthcare.

debs04

Apr 26, 2014
cannock
Hi Debs, does your mother live with you or does she have her own property?.Does she have a social worker? Has she had assessments carried out. If she needs to go into care for her own safety YOU should not have to pay, if your mother does not have sufficient funds then she should be for funded by the local authority, although it is means tested. If she requires nursing care and her needs are high enough she could qualify for continuing healthcare.

My mom lives on her own in a council flat she doesnt have much savings she as been means tested befor as she as 4 carers going in she as been classed as a danger to herself we know she needs to go in to a care home. The weekend they have sorted for some one to stop at night with her as her social worker sorted were just worried for our mom about cost we want her to be happy as she as been the best mom ever just need to know if or what help we can get as they said she as to go in rest bite for two weeks and will cost one hundered and twenty five pound a week just does not seem right when she as nothing

cf1611

Apr 16, 2014
My mom lives on her own in a council flat she doesnt have much savings she as been means tested befor as she as 4 carers going in she as been classed as a danger to herself we know she needs to go in to a care home. The weekend they have sorted for some one to stop at night with her as her social worker sorted were just worried for our mom about cost we want her to be happy as she as been the best mom ever just need to know if or what help we can get as they said she as to go in rest bite for two weeks and will cost one hundered and twenty five pound a week just does not seem right when she as nothing

Hi again Debs, I think you need to go back to the social worker and insist that this situation can not continue. If her care is now being provided by the local authority, that is, they provide it free because she has insufficient funds, then I feel sure that they should also provide the respite. If it is necessary for her to go into a permanent care home, and she has less than £23,000 which I gather is the case, then the local authorities should provide funding for this, although they will take her pention etc and leave her with only a few pounds. However, it sounds as though your mother has a lot of needs and may require a care home with nursing, in which case she will need a continuing health care assessment and a package of care which will be funded either by LA or NHS. Whatever else happens your social worker should have all the information and should be helping you and explaining the legal side of things to you. It sounds to me as if they are trying to keep her at home (probably cheapest option for them, not necessarily the best option).
If S/S are not helping try your GP, it maybe that he/she could get your mother into an assessment unit so she can be properly assessed as to what level of care she needs and you will be pointed in the right direction. This must be so difficult for you and I wish you well

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi debs :)

There are different funding calculations for care at home, for respite and for permanent care.

The £122 per week you have been quoted sounds like contributions from your mum's pension and possibly from Attendance Allowance.

If and when she goes into a care home permanently, as she has less than £23,500 she will lose the Attendance Allowance. She would then have to pay her state pension, less £24 for spending money.....so maybe approx £75 per week.

But cf1611 is right, you need to get back to the social worker and get this confirmed - I am only talking in general terms :)

All the best :)

Lindy xx

debs04

Apr 26, 2014
cannock
Hi again Debs, I think you need to go back to the social worker and insist that this situation can not continue. If her care is now being provided by the local authority, that is, they provide it free because she has insufficient funds, then I feel sure that they should also provide the respite. If it is necessary for her to go into a permanent care home, and she has less than £23,000 which I gather is the case, then the local authorities should provide funding for this, although they will take her pention etc and leave her with only a few pounds. However, it sounds as though your mother has a lot of needs and may require a care home with nursing, in which case she will need a continuing health care assessment and a package of care which will be funded either by LA or NHS. Whatever else happens your social worker should have all the information and should be helping you and explaining the legal side of things to you. It sounds to me as if they are trying to keep her at home (probably cheapest option for them, not necessarily the best option).
If S/S are not helping try your GP, it maybe that he/she could get your mother into an assessment unit so she can be properly assessed as to what level of care she needs and you will be pointed in the right direction. This must be so difficult for you and I wish you well
Thanks for the information as help loads

debs04

Apr 26, 2014
cannock
Hi debs :)

There are different funding calculations for care at home, for respite and for permanent care.

The £122 per week you have been quoted sounds like contributions from your mum's pension and possibly from Attendance Allowance.

If and when she goes into a care home permanently, as she has less than £23,500 she will lose the Attendance Allowance. She would then have to pay her state pension, less £24 for spending money.....so maybe approx £75 per week.

But cf1611 is right, you need to get back to the social worker and get this confirmed - I am only talking in general terms :)

All the best :)

Lindy xx

Thank you so much for you message it is greatly recieved xx

debs04

Apr 26, 2014
cannock
My mom as now gone into care they say that me and my sister will have to top up by 50 pound per week im so worried as i know we are gonna struggle my mom does have saving of 5 thousand 4 hundered and 80 pounds is this right many thanks

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi Debs :)

I am pleased to hear that your mom is now in a safe place where she can get the care she needs - and you and your sister can get some much needed rest.

First of all, can I say that a top up may not legally be paid out of your mother's money. She is entitled to keep this for any future need.

Secondly, if you cannot afford the top up and have not actively chosen a home where this would be necessary, do not pay the top up, tell social services that you cannot afford it.

If your mom has been placed by social services, it is up to them to pay. There are very definite rules on this and I hope someone will be along soon to explain it better than I can :)

Take care

Lindy xx