Dementia nurse appt coming up - bit long!

IcareformyMum

Mar 22, 2014
Bristol
My Mum has an appt with the dementia nurse for the first time since diagnosis (Feb 14) on Tuesday next week. As I am her daytime carer I will obviously be attending this with her along with my Dad (he still works full time which is why I am her daytime carer) but we are a little unsure what to expect? we had to request this appt as our GP originally said she would be ref us to her but then wrote to us to say that she had in fact spoke with her and that was when she started her on Aricept (since stopped as insomnia no good for my Dad :() at the last appt I asked if we were supposed to be seeing her and the following week she contacted me to arrange the appt ;)

I have read on here and other websites about memory tests to determine at what stage of AD my Mum is at - we have just been told by the gp she has AD following blood tests and a brain scan - has anybody had experience with these tests and know what is involved.

I think it is going to be quite an interesting appt as Mum says she does not have AD as that means she is going mad in the head and she is not! :confused: - she gets quite angry :mad: when we explain in the nicest possible waythat she does have AD and it does not mean that she is mad, just has problems with her memory.

Can anyone please give me some tips between now and appt as to what questions I should be asking as we are still very much in the dark regarding AD and the effects it will have on Mum.

Who will provide us with advice on what SS can/will do to help - I would like to try and get Mum to a day centre (she is not keen) to give her some more social interaction.

Many Thanks.xxxx :p

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
Have a good look through the Alzheimer's society web pages for information. I would also write down following reading this your things that you have noticed about your mum.
As far as her having Alzheimer's is concerned, my dad does have it either. To be honest it is best that way. I don't argue the point as he would only get upset. There is no good end result to that battle so I don't even try go there. Xxx

IcareformyMum

Mar 22, 2014
Bristol
Have a good look through the Alzheimer's society web pages for information. I would also write down following reading this your things that you have noticed about your mum.
As far as her having Alzheimer's is concerned, my dad does have it either. To be honest it is best that way. I don't argue the point as he would only get upset. There is no good end result to that battle so I don't even try go there. Xxx

Hi Susy

If we do not say that she has AD or probs with her memory what other reason do we give her for the appointment as it is her and her AD which is going to be discussed as far as I understand. The Nurse told me it was for an assessment and that both dad and myself should be there with her. If Mum is going to have "memory tests" it would be nice to explain it a little to reassure her.
For previous doctors/nurses appts she gets stressed and wants to know why we are going and we cannot keep lying to her as they speak to Mum (which is correct - she's not invisable) but they ask her questions which she never knows the answers to and turns to either my Dad or myself - this stresses my Mum as she cannot answer for herself and then we get the "why did they say I have AD"

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Initially my Mum "did NOT" have Dementia:mad:.....eventually I got her round by calling it her colander brain...only hangs on to the good bits!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:OK it was a bit lame, but it helped then and sometimes now still.:)

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Susy

If we do not say that she has AD or probs with her memory what other reason do we give her for the appointment as it is her and her AD which is going to be discussed as far as I understand. The Nurse told me it was for an assessment and that both dad and myself should be there with her. If Mum is going to have "memory tests" it would be nice to explain it a little to reassure her.
For previous doctors/nurses appts she gets stressed and wants to know why we are going and we cannot keep lying to her as they speak to Mum (which is correct - she's not invisable) but they ask her questions which she never knows the answers to and turns to either my Dad or myself - this stresses my Mum as she cannot answer for herself and then we get the "why did they say I have AD"

I made sure that the 'A' word was never mentioned in front of my Husband.Everyone concerned agreed to my wishes as he also has Bipolar (diagnosed at the same time). Could you ask them to refer to the tests as a senior check up?

Take care

Lyn T

IcareformyMum

Mar 22, 2014
Bristol
I made sure that the 'A' word was never mentioned in front of my Husband.Everyone concerned agreed to my wishes as he also has Bipolar (diagnosed at the same time). Could you ask them to refer to the tests as a senior check up?

Take care

Lyn T

Hi Lyn
I really like the sound of this and I think that it may be a way forward for us! We have told Mum that we have to go for these appts in order to keep her recently aquired attendance allowance, I know that's a little white lie but although Mum's not thrilled about going she is more accepting - I think I may give the nurse a call before our appt and see if she will do that.

Thanks Lyn, I will let you know how we get on.
Kerrie.x

IcareformyMum

Mar 22, 2014
Bristol
Initially my Mum "did NOT" have Dementia:mad:.....eventually I got her round by calling it her colander brain...only hangs on to the good bits!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:OK it was a bit lame, but it helped then and sometimes now still.:)

Thanks - and No i do not think it was lame ~ it made me smile :D
I do try and make light of it when Mum has a forgetful:confused: or stressful:eek: moment so colander brain will now be added to my list;)
Kerrie :)

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Lyn
I really like the sound of this and I think that it may be a way forward for us! We have told Mum that we have to go for these appts in order to keep her recently aquired attendance allowance, I know that's a little white lie but although Mum's not thrilled about going she is more accepting - I think I may give the nurse a call before our appt and see if she will do that.

Thanks Lyn, I will let you know how we get on.
Kerrie.x

I like to think of little white lies as 'love lies':)

Take care

Lyn T

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarydew