Financial assessment

zoob

Sep 13, 2012
Hi all...I was wondering if anybody has had a financial assessment by social services? Is it right that they want to know what I have in the bank? This is an assessment of my mother's finances? I welcome all comments :)

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
My mum had an assessment. I wasn't asked at any point what I have in the bank.

Have they actually asked for your finances?

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Why?

I vaguely remember reading something about them checking to make sure top ups could be made if needed but they didn't ask to see my finances.

I wouldn't tell them anyway!

CarolC

Mar 8, 2010
Coventry
Your finances have got absolutely nothing to do with them, refuse.
Good luck, have a look at Care to be Different website it has financial information on there.
Carol

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
At no time have I ever been asked for my personal financial information and I would have refused to provide it if they had asked.
The only time there may possibly be a case I think would be if you shared accommodation and bank accounts with your relative.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
At no time have I ever been asked for my personal financial information and I would have refused to provide it if they had asked.
The only time there may possibly be a case I think would be if you shared accommodation and bank accounts with your relative.

Not even then necessarily.
I have a joint bank account with my husband and the FA obviously saw that statement but nothing else that was mine.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I didn't know SS's did financial assessments-I thought it should be done by the LA. When the LA did Pete's he did ask if he could do mine. I nicely declined:)

Take care

Lyn T

copsham

Oct 11, 2012
Oxfordshire
SS is Social Services which is a Department of the LA (Local Authority).

SS should not be confused with DHSS (Dept of Health and Social Security) - a previous name for DWP (Dept of Work and Pensions)

No wonder we are confused!:confused:

While on the subject do Local Authorities reassess a person with dementia recieiving care every year. My mother has been in a nursing home for 16 months and we have heard nothing?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
In my case the SS arranged the financial assessment with the Financial Advisor who then passed on the details to the financial team at the LA. All are working for Local government.

Copsham, I have a statement of my husbands contributions for the coming financial year every March. I just have to write and tell them if their calculations on the statement regarding his income via pensions are incorrect.

I believe some people have to fill in a statement each time but my LA seem to know my husband's future earnings before I do!

cliveo

Sep 11, 2011
I believe it depends on your own circumstances, such as social services stepping in to pay care costs after the NHS have refused/or withdrawn Fully Funded Care.

They will tell you that you need to fill out a SS6 financial disclosure form and if not completed people are deemed non disclosure, and therefore considered to not wish to disclose their finances and manage their own care funding independently.

Not sure what happens then. hopefully someone else may have some advice/ experience of this.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I believe it depends on your own circumstances, such as social services stepping in to pay care costs after the NHS have refused/or withdrawn Fully Funded Care.

They will tell you that you need to fill out a SS6 financial disclosure form and if not completed people are deemed non disclosure, and therefore considered to not wish to disclose their finances and manage their own care funding independently.

Not sure what happens then. hopefully someone else may have some advice/ experience of this.

This has no bearing on Zoob's query as she is not the one wanting funding.
It is her mother.Therefore, Zoob's financial affairs have nothing to do with the the SS.

Wirralson

Account Closed
May 30, 2012
Unless they are checking for evidence of a transfer of assets (so-called deprivation of assets), I'd tend to agrfee that the LA should have no need to look at Zoob' financial affairs.

cliveo

Sep 11, 2011
This has no bearing on Zoob's query as she is not the one wanting funding.
It is her mother.Therefore, Zoob's financial affairs have nothing to do with the the SS.

Yes sorry I agree with you Saffie,and I should not speed read these posts.:eek:

dora

Aug 1, 2007
England
While on the subject do Local Authorities reassess a person with dementia recieiving care every year. My mother has been in a nursing home for 16 months and we have heard nothing?

My MIL was assessed once a year in the care home to ensure it was meeting her needs. This was sometimes late, but if your mum is 4 months overdue, I would contact them if you want an assessment.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm sorry. I thought Copsham was talking about a financial annual assessment rather than a care one.
My husband no longer has an SW nor has an annual care assessment. He has been in a nursing home for nearly 3 years.

birdblack

Jul 9, 2011
Do social services check all the bank statements and how long ago is deemed deprivation of assets. How far do they go back on the bank accounts? They would only want to know if you are coming to the end of funds.