Respiridone - is it safe?

scared daughter

Account Closed
May 3, 2010
I hope I have spelt that right

I was just going through mums meds and its states Respiridone ISNT recommended in Dementia - I was a tad shocked I assumed it must be safe

Can anyone shed any light well more reassurance on this one I'm not liking what I am reading in connection to the risks to my mum :O

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I was appalled and worried when my husband was prescribed this drug when he became aggressive in hospital over 3 years ago. I was assured that it was a low dose and really necessary. It did stop the aggression and even though he was on it for only 4 months, the aggression didn't return. So, yes, it worked.
It seems to be often prescribed for sufferers of dementia but I understand it should be closely monitored.

zena285

Oct 14, 2013
My mum was put on Risperadone just before Christmas because of aggression/agitation. For my mum the positive results that it has had in calming her outweighed any risks that I had read about. She is closely monitored by the nursing staff and the doctor.

I had also read that the drug should only be taken for a maximum of twelve weeks but after discussions with the doctor, we felt that she should stay on Risperadone for a bit longer as the benefits still outweigh the risks. It is so much better to see my mum much calmer and not so agitated/angry.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
mum's been on it for about two years, nobody monitors it but she seems ok, am not worried in the least as she was distraught and violent before it so what was the alternative? sectioning and then antipsychotics anyway. If it is really needed you will know, if there is any debate about whether to do it then it can't be really necessary.

scared daughter

Account Closed
May 3, 2010
mum's been on it for about two years, nobody monitors it but she seems ok, am not worried in the least as she was distraught and violent before it so what was the alternative? sectioning and then antipsychotics anyway. If it is really needed you will know, if there is any debate about whether to do it then it can't be really necessary.

Oh yes she was terrible before - it was heartbreaking xx

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Mum was on it and she really needed it. She did develop some Parkinsonian syndrome so she was switched to another anti-psychotic.

The thing to do is to monitor your mother and if you see anything untoward, speak to the doctor immediately. Sometimes one anti-psychotic will not work but another will. Like everything in this world, the drugs are not perfect either. As long as we keep an eye on our loved ones, it will be good.

scared daughter

Account Closed
May 3, 2010
Mum was on it and she really needed it. She did develop some Parkinsonian syndrome so she was switched to another anti-psychotic.

The thing to do is to monitor your mother and if you see anything untoward, speak to the doctor immediately. Sometimes one anti-psychotic will not work but another will. Like everything in this world, the drugs are not perfect either. As long as we keep an eye on our loved ones, it will be good.

Thanks for the heads up xxx Will make sure shes kept a very close eye on xxx