Does anyone on here employ a PA rather than agencies?

clareglen

Jul 9, 2013
Cumbria
No experience personally of this but can't see how it would be cheaper as you have to be an employer (same as having a nanny) which means you're liable for maternity leave/pay, sickness pay, NI, etc., & then you'd need someone to cover when they're off or on holiday so extra expense.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I agree, I don't think it's much cheaper....depending on whether you yourself can cover periods of leave etc. and it is quite complicated to be an employer!

That said, you do have more control as you can employ who you like, and are not reliant on who the agency sends. The PA only has to have whatever level of experience or training is needed for the tasks you want them to do.....so I understand that sometimes it works well to employ someone you know (though you could put a friendship at risk, just as you could in employing a friend to do anything else).

If your loved one is LA funded, you need to ask for a direct payment from their personal budget to pay the PA ( the amount of this depends on the outcome of the community care assessment). You can then use this as you choose, eg to provide 7x twice daily visits, or two long days a week etc.

Lots to think about gilly :)

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I employ a carer/PA through the Direct Payments system. I am in Scotland so things will be different to your situation. The local Carer's Trust has a support worker who helps with the employment side of things and the Social Work department oversees it. It works tremendously well us.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I employ a carer/PA through the Direct Payments system. I am in Scotland so things will be different to your situation. The local Carer's Trust has a support worker who helps with the employment side of things and the Social Work department oversees it. It works tremendously well us.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

Glad to hear it works well for you Izzy :)

I think the problem in England is that local authorities vary in how they handle the employment side of things. Some have outsourced the role to agencies (A4E was the initial one round here) and this can change with contract renewals.

But I agree, if the local authority is well organised, employing a PA can be brilliant :cool:

helenemartin

Mar 6, 2008
stamford,lincs
yes to PA's

We employ a PA and this works very well for us. She is self employed/sole trader, which means she pays her own tax and NI. The dealings I have had with agencies:mad: isn't good so am happy to make other arrangements with other PA's to cover sickness holidays. I would highly recommend this option. Just make sure you find the right person before going down this road.
I am in the process of doing the same for our Health care. There is the new Personal heath budgets coming into force this month which operates the same as direct payments.

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
My friend employed a lovely Filipino lady for her MIL but it was through an agency.

Unfortunately the lady decided to leave so now I think there is a rotation of staff. One one week, another the next, then possibly back to the first one. This lady has 22 hours of care a day and as she is self funding it costs £800 a week.

It seems to be working ok. It just means my friend has to manage any little crises that turn up but at least is not managing the care.

Another route would be to find your own staff and rotate them yourself. The mil is still quite mobile so no lifting issues. Staff live in as well with her son and DIL in buildings nearby. They live in a very rural location.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan