More CHC panic!

Brodie

Nov 23, 2013
middlesex
what a wait you have had - that is awful!

I saw Geum's post - it was great - can she/he come with me to my dad's MDT!! :) (actually today went very well and things are looking good - I don't want to say more incase I tempt fate!)

i wish you all the best too and are sending you lots of positive vibes about this.

brodie

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Thank you Brodie.

Bastan, I am so sorry, I didn't notice your post when I responded to Brodie's.
Thank you so much for your offer of help and all you wrote. I don't think we have Admiral nurses here but I will make enquiries.
I'll try to adopt the Boadicca-like persona you became! Should be interesting!

Yes, the nurses seem to take it as a personal affront when needs are highlighted and like to play things down. Difficult as I have no wish to upset either of Dave's 2 nurses.

I hope you are coping ok now. It Is nice to hear from you. X

Bastan

Feb 10, 2011
Manchester
Oh Saffie, Boadicca! that made me laugh. Just what I need.

I'm getting by thanks, I sometimes wonder if life will ever be good again.

I use to believe finally losing Nats would just be the next stage, given I'd "lost' him for so many years before.

Nothing could have prepared me for finality of him being gone. I feel like part of me is missing in a much deeper way than I did through his illness.

It's not all doom and gloom though, I do have varying degrees of happiness and my new granddaughter of your namesake is a joy to behold. A wonderful addition to the other two.

Just a bad night really, I've got a cold and hacking cough and have not left the house in nearly a week. Feeling sorry for myself that's all.

Will shut up now for fear I depress you.

Much love x

scared daughter

Account Closed
May 3, 2010
Im sat at the kitchen table arranging my evidence, it's actually heartbreaking seeing everything gone on..................

Here is my question

Alot of whats gone on like the frequent utis and falls etc have impected on other areas so do i bring them same evidence up multiple times or do i refer to them during one segment - starting to get nervous now i feel like im being put through a "stress test" it's a horrible process isnt it :(

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Alot of whats gone on like the frequent utis and falls etc have impected on other areas so do i bring them same evidence up multiple times or do i refer to them during one segment - starting to get nervous now i feel like im being put through a "stress test" it's a horrible process isnt it
I haven't yet taken the plunge and returned to review how I filled in the practice DST but I do recall that how one domain affects others is an important part of the assessment so I would be inclined to reinforce it as many times as necessary.

The MD team will be the ones completing the DST so if you have the copy of what you have written in front of you with the evidence of each interaction there, you can keep reminding them! Can't do any harm! Whether they'll take any notice is another matter.
Stress? No, no - a walk in the park! :cool: :confused:
That, or similar, is what my friend said I should imagine to get to sleep at night!
I told her it doesn't work when you're stressed as I just trip and fall after a couple of steps!:eek:

crazyfish

Oct 12, 2012
Hi Saffie,
Just wishing you good luck .
Don't panic you will be fine.
Just remember all the evidence you put forward will show that his health care needs are more than incidental or ancillary to the provision of accommodation and are of a nature beyond which it could be expected that an authority whose primary responsibility is to provide Social services can be expected to provide.
So basically it is the responsibility of the NHS not the SS to pay .
Just take your time and don't be bullied.
If your not sure of a point come back to it .
It can be done you can win keep positive.
You should try and find out who the SW is that is assigned to the Ch they may be able to offer support.
Although I wouldn't bank on it.
Mick

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
You should try and find out who the SW is that is assigned to the Ch they may be able to offer support.
Although I wouldn't bank on it.

Well, the one we had when the application was made by the hospital, decidedCHC funding wasn't justified when the initial checklist was returned for further evidence so it went no further!
At the time my husband was suffering from MRSA, Gangrene, UTIs and pressure sores - in addition to his other primary health problems, plus the dementia.
So, perhaps not banking on it would be wise!

Thanks for your support and advice. I can but try.:)

geum123

May 20, 2009
Geum - a massive help as usual.:)
Thank you so much.
I used your helpful advice when preparing for the assessment and this adds reinforcements to that information. The possible outcomes are especially helpful as we do seem to get used to the status quo and lose sight of what is 'normal' and what is not.
I do appreciate your help and input.
It's really down to you that I re-applied at all!
Again, very many thanks. x

:eek::eek::eek::eek: No need to thank me Saffie.

Fingers crossed you are successful, and there lies the rub,
No matter how much there is a primary health need,
the outcome of the DST may in fact depend on which way you hop
around the table while incanting positive chants.:rolleyes:
Whether you wear your lucky socks on the day,
or Saffie eats up all of her biscuits on the morning.

I am really no expert at all, but a terrible wimp.
I hate speaking in public, I hate confrontation,
and when push comes to shove my mind goes a blank.

My Dad had 3 checklist assessments and failed the lot.
I sat through them all and couldn't see how to argue against the decisions,
but I just knew they were wrong. How could he not have a health need.:confused:
By the time the last assessment took place I was more clued up having joined a few forums.
The retrospective review I handed over to the solicitors.
I wasn't sufficiently knowledgeable to argue his case.
It was only the last year of my Dads life that I managed to get NHSCC,
and of course his dementia was far worse then, so health issues were more blatantly obvious.

Writing it down in the DST domain format was the only way I was able to speak up for my Dad.
There are probably loads of mistakes in my assessment, because as a non medic, I relied on the web. There were times when I felt I was going around in circles.

I was very lucky to be helped by a lovely lady who had battled on behalf of her Aunt
and seeing how she filled in the DST helped me enormously.
You can also get advice and help from:

The Alzheimers Society NHS continuing care volunteer support group
http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=398

Try also the web, but beware of handing over money for assistance to anyone, no matter how plausible they may sound.

As scared daughter says, going through the evidence is heartbreaking.
and even worse the time taken to assemble all of the information distracts from the person with dementia. :(

I'd also echo all of the other very helpful pointers people have made on this thread.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Again, many thanks Geum.
The Alzheimers Society NHS continuing care volunteer support group

I contacted this group before I decided to send in the retrospective and ongoing claim by September 2012. The lady who rang me in response to my email was very helpful and said that she definitely thought that Dave had sliiped through the net. She told me who to contact regarding the claim and gave me her telephone number or email address - not sure which now - so I am wondering whether to contact her directly.
The trouble is that the whole process has been so very slow that 18 months have now passed. I'll think about it.

I remember that you used a solicitor for the retrospective claim and if I am successful with this application, I may well do the same as I know the solicitor you used. If this fails, then I doubt there will be much point trying.

Regarding the DST format, yes that is what I have done alreadyand I will be going over it all again and adding to it but I will try to keep the basic principles at the forefront of my mind to repeat them at every appropriate moment. They might be so fed up with me saying them that they will give in just to shut me up!

Thank you again.

p.s. Saffie never leaves a single biscuit so that should prove lucky!

geum123

May 20, 2009
Again, many thanks Geum.

Tutt tutt as Chris would say.

I remember that you used a solicitor for the retrospective claim and if I am successful with this application, I may well do the same as I know the solicitor you used. If this fails, then I doubt there will be much point trying.

I think if this fails then all the more reason to use them Saffie, providing it is on a no win no fee basis. ...and of course it would cost you nothing to make some enquiries.
It saved me from no end of anguish, but its very much a personal decision. :)

I do wonder if once it is known that you may be getting a solicitor involved it is suddenly all much easier.:rolleyes:

p.s. Saffie never leaves a single biscuit so that should prove lucky!

:D What dog does.