Free health care for elderly people in nursing homes

Grandma Joan

Mar 29, 2013
Wiltshire
Yes I agree totally. My poor ol pa had to go into a home for his last 5 weeks because my poor ol ma couldn't cope any more. She felt so bad and so did we. As a retired nurse herself she wanted to care for him until the end but the health of her and her daughters was suffering.

If CHC had kicked in and been offered in his own home it would have been so much kinder and not nearly so torrid for us all

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
Pie in the sky, It's never going to happen. What would happen with the firms running NHs and their shareholders? The NHS is weighed down now, this would sink it.
Sorry this is the real world.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Yes I agree totally. My poor ol pa had to go into a home for his last 5 weeks because my poor ol ma couldn't cope any more. She felt so bad and so did we. As a retired nurse herself she wanted to care for him until the end but the health of her and her daughters was suffering.

If CHC had kicked in and been offered in his own home it would have been so much kinder and not nearly so torrid for us all

CHC is sometimes awarded for care in the home.I asked about it only this week when the CMHT were determined to move my OH to another CH (didn't happen). Pete has been awarded CHC and if he was forced to move I was going to ask to have him home. SW told me I would have probably got 21 hours a week. However. SW then told me that he wouldn't be allowed home due to Pete needing 24/7 care:eek: But it can be done in some cases.

Take care

Lyn T

Wirralson

Account Closed
May 30, 2012
One point: the petition points to a commercial website which sells resource guides. Is there any connection between that site and the campaign?

W

win

Oct 14, 2012
Of course it can

CHC is sometimes awarded for care in the home.I asked about it only this week when the CMHT were determined to move my OH to another CH (didn't happen). Pete has been awarded CHC and if he was forced to move I was going to ask to have him home. SW told me I would have probably got 21 hours a week. However. SW then told me that he wouldn't be allowed home due to Pete needing 24/7 care:eek: But it can be done in some cases.

Take care

Lyn T

Just seen this post when looked under "my post" and I just wanted to tell you all to fight for CHC. Ewen my late husband was awarded it after I had cared for him for a couple of years at home. I had to shout a lot to be heard but had a wonderful Social worker. She and I put the case together and it was awarded first time it went to panel. Had I however been unable to care Ewen would have had to go to a nursing home as he needed care 24/7 and that is just too expensive at home.

I was also awarded CHC for my late mother who I cared for at the same time as Ewen during the period 2007-end of 2009. You need to shout and keep shouting, but it is more than possible if the health needs are there, it is up to you and the team to prove it. Good luck to any one who is going for it.

handyjack

Oct 6, 2011
I do wonder what people have got against care and nursing homes. I know they receive a bad press (due to the actions of the few people I'd be hesitant to call care workers)
Perhaps it's the sense of failure? I work in the care industry and have honestly lost count of the families I've seen, grieving because they've finally realised that they just can't cope. Believe me, our staff work (at the most) a 12 hr shift, go home and return refreshed. How many families can do this? Not many can (specially as the disease progresses) . At work, I've been bitten, pinched, slapped, had food thrown at me. I'm lucky that I can leave at the end of the day, go home and relax. A lot of families don''t have that luxury.

Last edited:

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I do wonder what people have got against care and nursing homes. I know they receive a bad press (due to the actions of the few people I'd be hesitant to call care workers)
Perhaps it's the sense of failure? I work in the care industry and have honestly lost count of the families I've seen, grieving because they've finally realised that they just can't cope. Believe me, our staff work (at the most) a 12 hr shift, go home and return refreshed. How many families can do this? Not many can (specially as the disease progresses) . At work, I've been bitten, pinched, slapped, had food thrown at me. I'm lucky that I can leave at the end of the day, go home and relax. A lot of families don''t have that luxury.

This is what the lovely carers at my Husband's home tell me:) However, I never ever visualised that Pete would end up in a CH. Guilt/failure-yep I feel both of those emotions.I guess lots of people do. Thank you for posting your views Handyjack and for understanding

Take care

Lyn T

handyjack

Oct 6, 2011
Thank you very much Lyn, I must add, I feel honoured to work in the care profession. It's the most rewarding job I've ever had. I know I can go home at the end of the day and feel that I've made a difference to people's lives. Sometimes it can be emotionally difficult (and tears are not far away) but the professionalism kicks in at those times. At difficult times I have sometimes had to find an empty room and have a few minutes to myself,(yes I do cry) but staff here are very supportive of each other. (and I think that's just how it should be)
In my own personal life, there are people I don't really have the time of day for, but at work, I have all the time in the world for those in my care. They can raise my spirits high (and knock them down just as damn quick) , but I can honestly say, I love each and every one of them.

Last edited:

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Thank you Handyjack

I've seen a few of the Carers in my OH's CH with red eyes etc when a well loved resident passes. The staff support each other and the manager and senior staff know when extra support is needed.There are only 15 residents there and it's a close community. I visit my Husband everyday and I'm always made to feel welcome. I guess it's good that you feel rewarded for doing the job that you do; I wish that carers had their own level of the minimum wage; I know the unqualified carers at the CH are on minimum wage. I wish the Government would have a higher wage level for those in a caring environment. I know I'm lucky as I've only ever had the highest praise for the staff; I do tell them that they are wonderful:)