Rant I am afraid...

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Was away for the weekend (lucky I know but was celebration for my Dads 80th), I have respite vouchers but am actually on a pilot scheme using debit card (similar to direct payments I think) Long story short arranged for carers to come in & give meds twice a day. Shopping/food all sorted before I went. Came back today & rang them to make sure everything was ok & guess what they hadn't been!!!
Luckily there is nothing that is life threatening. I asked them why they hadn't been & they said I wasn't booked in. Why? Because they didn't know how this new system worked & that they had to find out from LA how they would get paid. First time I called this was what the lady said to me & that she would call me back, no call back. 4 days later I called her again "oh yes I'm finding out how it works" no call back. 4 days later I called her to make sure that MIL was booked in, gave her the dates and she said everything fine, she was still not sure of the payment method tho.
This is how it works-there is a bank a/c with some of money in it, there is a debit card. Providing I know how much to pay, I can pay it!!!! How difficult is that.
To just not go because you do not know how the system works is appalling, when they said they would.

I have told them in no uncertain terms that I will not be using their services anymore & that when the LA ring for feedback, which they are doing on regular basis, I will tell them what has happened.

I know this has been disjointed & probably doesn't even make sense, but I am so angry!!!!

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
It makes perfect sense you must be absolutely furious, grrrrrr on your behalf, that is awful:mad:

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Can't believe they would leave a vulnerable person without care for that time. They should be suspended with an enquiry into their practices.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Talking Point mobile app

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That is shocking. Can you make a formal complaint to Social Services?

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Thanks guys

I am going to take it further, I tried unsuccessfully y'day to find the name/phone number of the person who is monitoring the pilot but I will not give up till I have informed everyone who needs to know.

Thanks for the comments.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
whoever is responsible get a copy of their complaints procedure and follow it. If they don't have one that is an issue in itself. I think if you follow the procedure they have time scales for giving your a response

Dagne

Feb 16, 2013
To add to the good advice here, I would complain to the Care Quality Commission as well as to Social Services. Social Services have an investment in the agency, because they presumably chose them to provide these services. CQC will be more independent.

Saying that they didn't understand how payment will work is not an excuse. If someone is vulnerable, then you meet their needs first, and work out the admin. details later. Or at the very least, you alert relatives that the service isn't available, so that vulnerable people are not simply left to fend for themselves. This 'computer says no' mentality is completely unacceptable for an agency that is supposed to be delivering CARE.

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Thanks Dagne, that is exactly how I feel about the situation. I went away (I thought) thinking that everything I could do for her was in place. The one tiny detail I forgot was to get her a TV magazine! I actually said to my OH, you can't always remember everything & if the main things are in place, that is the important part!!!!!

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Just an update

Just thought I would let you know that I have sent a measured, calm letter stating all the facts to the care agency, also have sent copies to CQC, LA Adult care team & the head of the pilot scheme. I am eagerly awaiting replies!!!

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Further update

SW we had last May rang last Weds for some more info (mainly name & address of care agency which I neglected to put in covering letter! Duh!!!) I got a letter from CQC the day after (same reason. Double duh!!) E-mailed them with the info. Safeguarding team rang last night to let me know that they would be ringing the care agency today & that they would let me know what was said.

Conspicuous by its absence is any response from care agency!

Dagne

Feb 16, 2013
Good that you've heard from SS and CQC - let's hope they act on your information!

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Hi Dagne, see my thread started to day entitled Finally a response to my letter... re what the care agency have said. Basically another rant but needed to get it off my chest. I know the safeguarding people were going to get in touch with them but haven't heard anything yet.