World Alzheimer's Day concert - call for acts/speakers

Monkey

Aug 24, 2006
London UK
Hi
I've been rasing a bit of money for AS for a couple of years now since my mum was diagnosed.

I organise concerts in London. One of my regular shows falls on World Alzheimer's Day this year, so I have hit upon an idea to raise a bit of money for the society, and to celebrate all of us who either have relatives with AD or who have AD. Have some fun.

I have The Memory Band, and Sandra and The Memory Machine booked to play. I will host the event. We usually do a pop quiz. This time we'll do one with a theme of AD. It's Friday 21 Sept in Crouch End, North London.

I could use TWO more acts. Either comedy or music or both. It would be good if they were well known! We want to get as much press for this as possible. It might be nice to have some speakers.

I can just go ahead and book the acts, but I thought I would open it up to this board to see if there are any suggestions from folks with experience or knowledge of Alzheimer's.

any thoughts anyone?

If you want to contact me direct please send me a PM [Edited by Bruce to remove e-mail address]

I will post details of the event on here and on my own website www.knom.co.uk once the bill is finalised...

Last edited by a moderator:

TED

Sep 14, 2004
Middlesex
Hello

sure sounds like a great idea and i will certainely add the date to my diary

Shall keep an eye on your site for more news, I think one of the mods should add a link to a more "popular" part of the board really cos this clearly isnt getting the publicity on here that it really deserves

more power to you
great idea, great cause

Is there some sort of poster/ flyer i can use to put up at work?
Hope it will be ok to copy your website page if nothing else....

All the best
TED

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi Monkey,

This sounds a very good idea and I hope you succeed. Its a pity you can not get some one like Ken Dodd involved as he is brilliant and the crowds love him.

Best Wishes

Ken

TED

Sep 14, 2004
Middlesex
I was thinking about this last night for reasons i will keep to myself, and thought i would pose a question for others to join in and help out with

this might be aiming too high, because ive no experience in organising something like this but what i was trying to do was think of people who would be good as 'guests' speakers perhaps.

Richard Briers came to mind as he played a character with Dementia in a recent TV drama, cant remember who played his son but im sure someone can...though in his 70s i guess might not be such a good idea

The Rev Roger Royal is always popular, again not sure this would be a suitable venue for his audience, someone put me right again im sure

Ive forgotton who else i came up with , but this is where i challange the brighter members of TP forum to come up with thier own ideas, and who knows we might just hit on someone

Dont know who you have approached so far to play, but again maybe with the Alzheimers Soc support some well placed letters to certain music producers might be well received, im thinking Virgin as a prime example, or pull in some of the popular (?) acts from Youtube?? Just a thought....give them some live time might go down well

Over to you guys
come on help us out...

Cheers
TED

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Russell Grant was a visitor to TP this year and has personal experience of AZ. What about The Zimmers? I think there are lots of us who rate them!

Monkey

Aug 24, 2006
London UK
Thanks!

Hi everyone
Sincere thanks for the words of encouragement, and suggestions.

I just got off the phone with John Hegley who wanted to help out but the date wasn't good, as he's in Scotland. He's a favourite of mine. The venue is usually a comedy club and so the proprietor is offering a helping hand to get a name comedian for the event.

I am in touch with the Haringay Alzheimer's walk people and I will do the event in fact as a support event to their walk on the Sunday.

Even without a speaker the bands are good, and my memory-themed pop quiz is now in full preparation. I was also going to say just a few words. The night is a regular so we'll definitely do ok, just if we get a named speaker/comedy act then we'll be packed to the rafters, which is the idea.

If anyone knows of a contact for Richard Briars I would be happy to ask him. Any more suggestions very welcome, but of course, this week is cut off week.

All best
Monkey

I will have full lineup and a poster

TED

Sep 14, 2004
Middlesex
best of luck with it, sure it'll be a success.
I've got the date and details in my diary, aim to go from work if i can get out early (getting across london on anyday is fun, fridays more so) and will suggest it to the others too

Will check back later for more info if there is on or via your website.

Regards
TED