Could a blood test could detect early signs of dementia?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/mar/09/blood-test-could-detect-early-signs-dementia

This blood test could be available within 2 years apparently.

It raises so many issues.

Heard a snippet of a BBC interview with an expert and he did, in passing, comment that there are as yet no treatments that can stop the disease developing. So the chief issue arising is probably whether, years before any symptoms arise, you would wish to know whether you are very likely to get the disease.

The research sample was quite small so we don't really know that it is totally reliable.

It's also perhaps relevant to point out that the efficacy and desirability of the tests widely used to diagnose two of the commonest cancers (breast - mammogram - and prostate - PSA blood test) 'early' have been called into question. And those are diseases for which there are not only treatments but, in many cases, cures.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
The test is not for me. As you say if there is no cure then I don't want to know if I will suffer the disease. When I get it will be soon enough for me.

Every time I can't think of a word I go into panic mode, goodness knows what I would be like if I knew it really was coming and what was in front of me.

Jay

SallyPotter

May 19, 2013
Gloucestershire
i think responding positively to the test would be like being handed a death sentence. both my parents have been effected by AD, my mother died yesterday, my father fading fast. Its been a long and horrific ride for all of us and continues to be.
All I can see is that the suicide rate would go up and many people would have the last few years of their fully compos mentus lives afflicted by fear for themselves and those they are close too

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The test without any hope of a cure is not for me either. It would take a really special person to be unaffected by a positive result.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
i think responding positively to the test would be like being handed a death sentence. both my parents have been effected by AD, my mother died yesterday, my father fading fast. Its been a long and horrific ride for all of us and continues to be.
All I can see is that the suicide rate would go up and many people would have the last few years of their fully compos mentus lives afflicted by fear for themselves and those they are close too

So sorry for your loss Sally.

It must be so hard having two parents with AD. I hope you have support from friends and family at this very difficult time.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Every time I can't think of a word I go into panic mode, goodness knows what I would be like if I knew it really was coming and what was in front of me.
I'm the same - it's such a relief when I can recall somebody's name be they an actor on TV or a past aquaintance after not being able to remember it. Mind you, it's often a few minutes or more later!
No - no test for me thank you. I'm paranoid enough without it.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
The test is not for me either. I also wouldn't have wanted to know that Bill was going to develop dementia. It's bad enough having 12 years out of 35 with the diagnosis and symptoms looming over us without having even more waiting to see the symptoms develop. If there was a cure then yes but not as things stand.

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
So, are they saying that this blood test could actually diagnose Alzheimer's in those who have already have dementia too?
If they can spot changes before it develops than surely those same markers are there when it does display dementia symptoms.
I thought the general consensus was that Alzheimer's can't be definitely diagnosed but was the fall-back diagnosis when all other possibilities were eliminated.

Last edited:

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
So, are they saying that this blood test could actually diagnose Alzheimer's in those who have already have dementia too?
If they can spot changes before it develops than surely those same markers are there when it doesdisplay dmentia symptoms.
I thought the general consensus was that Alzheimer's can't be definitely diagnosed but was the fall-back diagnosis when all other possibilities were eliminated.

I don't think it's really clear from the article Saffie. The headline and text suggest that the writer shares the common misapprehension that dementia and AD are one and the same.

60's child

Apr 23, 2013
suffolk
I wouldnt want to know either, unless there was a cure. I suppose the only upside would be to maybe sort finances/ poa etc whilst still able. I suppose it would be nice to know if it was negative though?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I suppose it would be nice to know if it was negative though?

The article said that the blood test can pick up changes 3 years in advance of symptoms showing up, so it could still happen later and would not give that much reassurance.