Financial management

TRAVELLOR

Feb 28, 2014
My husbands dementia has come on very suddenly following radiotheraphy for a brain tumour and has not given us enough time to sort things out. We have both made wills but now if anything happens to me and my husband is still alive what can we do to ensure house and finnancial matters are handled correctly as he will not be in a position to sort anything out. I am at my wits end worrying about this please advise what I can do. Thank you..

SallyPotter

May 19, 2013
Gloucestershire
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your circumstances.
The best thing you can do is see a solicitor who specializes in wills + probate. It may cost a bit of money but they are in the position of both researching and advising you of the best way forward.
Take care x

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If you predecease your husband your estate will be handled by your executor(s), as your husband has dementia somebody else should be appointed.

To handle your husband's affairs if he has sufficient capacity he should make an LPA presumably with you as attorney and A.N Other as joint and several attorney or replacement attorney.

If he cannot make an LPA a Court of Protection Deputy will have to be appointed to handle his affairs.

Blimey

Jun 6, 2012
Hi Travellor.
We just don't imagine its going to happen until it does, sorry you have these worries. You need to get a Lasting Power of Attorney completed for yourself so attorneys can act on your behalf. There are 2, one for finances and one for care, you choice who you want to have (could be children) and you can have a reserve individual as well. You don't need a solicitor but if your affairs are complicated it may be a good idea. I am assuming you don't have this in place for your husband so this may be more difficult to sort out depending if he is still able to understand and make decisions. The forms and general advise and information is on the Office of Public Guardian website, I tried to post the link but the website isn't letting me (not sure why)
Office of the Public Guardian
PO Box 16185
Birmingham
B2 2WH
Phone number: 0300 456 0300 - Phone lines are open Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm (Except Wednesday 10am - 5pm)
It may take a bit of digesting but I found it very helpful.
Good Luck

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"... if anything happens to me and my husband is still alive what can we do to ensure house and finnancial matters are handled correctly..."

"...You need to get a Lasting Power of Attorney completed for yourself so attorneys can act on your behalf..."

When the donor dies any LPAs become void.

mrjelly

Jul 23, 2012
West Sussex
"... if anything happens to me and my husband is still alive what can we do to ensure house and financial matters are handled correctly..."

"...You need to get a Lasting Power of Attorney completed for yourself so attorneys can act on your behalf..."

When the donor dies any LPAs become void.

Yes, the answer went outside the scope of the original question. But it would still be a good idea for Travellor to have their own LPA to cover the possibility that they may become unable to manage their own affairs while they are alive.